• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Zuzzz I had a botched windows 7 install after cloning the drive for my Samsung SSD, the windows 7 would not back up my files any more and I could not get it fixed. So now for 2 weeks I have been using my PC with windows 10 so I can't test anymore. Wow I just remembered I have windows 7 on my laptop let me go see.

Be careful with that Win 7. Treat it like gold man !!!!

Z

Z

I don't know if this works for a non-OEM PC, but OEM PC have part of the Windows 7/8 key in the Bios to verify a valid Win 7/8 install. You can go back to Win 7/8 with a fresh install on those systems. Backup should also work just fine.

Z
I just let windows 7 do it's thing and it installed all the updates without upgrading to windows 10. No prompts to upgrade to 10, so far things are good.

I just let windows 7 do it's thing and it installed all the updates without upgrading to windows 10. No prompts to upgrade to 10, so far things are good.

I'll be interested to see if it tries to force the upgrade on that...

Z

I eliminated the updates responsible before I ever got the annoying pop ups and have never seen one. Update keeps showing them , and they go back and forth between Recommended and "Oh My God You Have To Install This NOWWWW!" , but no annoying reminders. Although , Gabe Aul keeps sending me emails extolling the virtues of the greatest OS in the history of the universe. LMAO

I'll be interested to see if it tries to force the upgrade on that...

Z
So far it has not forced anything, all settings are stock. I had to power down 3 times for all the updates to load I also let it sit for a hour, I'm interested also to see what happens I will let you know.

I don't force or start updates and windows7 never prompts me for them, I only look to see what is installed.

Last edited:
Unless anything has changed since that was introduced, it's a buggy install for most, with plenty not having a stable/working install of WMC.

Yes. Very buggy indeed. I managed to install it originally, but could NOT get the guide to download or recording feature to work and since the only purpose of Windows Media Center for me is to use it as a DVR, after spending countless hours and days of trying to get *anything* that can record TV to work on Windows 10, I failed, and my only solution was to reboot into my Windows 8 partition where I now spend most of my time.

Windows Media Center works perfectly on my Windows 8 partition but I cannot get Windows 10 to record anything, some of us don't need WMC to watch video or play any media, just to use it as a DVR, which many people cannot do on Windows 10 no matter what they try. Microsoft does not want us recording TV on Windows and I've read threads on other forums about purposeful limitation of TV Channel guide downloading to Windows 10....

On this thread's topic, there is probably a way to disable automatic Windows 10 install but the entire approach here is designed so that people are only aware of that (complicated) process after it's too late.

Last edited:
Yes. Very buggy indeed. I managed to install it originally, but could get the guide to download or recording feature to work and since the only purpose of Windows Media Center for me is to use it as a DVR, after spending countless hours and days of trying to get *anything* that can record TV to work on Windows 10, I failed, and my only solution was to reboot into my Windows 8 partition where I now spend most of my time.

Windows Media Center works perfectly on my Windows 8 partition but I cannot get Windows 10 to record anything, some of us don't need WMC to watch video or play any media, just to use it as a DVR, which many people cannot do on Windows 10 no matter what they try. Microsoft does not want us recording TV on Windows and I've read threads on other forums about purposeful limitation of TV Channel guide downloading to Windows 10....

On this thread's topic, there is probably a way to disable automatic Windows 10 install but the entire approach here is designed so that people are only aware of that (complicated) process after it's too late.

Nailed it C. The last part right there is what got winten installed on the wife's PC. Force fed and all. I do fear some crazy mess for us all who got it free this year. Im sure there is a crafty 'bombshell' going to be dropped on us.

Z

PS: wingman, Yeah I dont know what to say on that. For whatever reason the wife's PC would not let me do any security updates even though it told me what ones were needed. Like I said before you might wanna treat that Win 7 like gold. It seems like sooner or later we will all be forced to 10.

Nailed it C. The last part right there is what got winten installed on the wife's PC. Force fed and all. I do fear some crazy mess for us all who got it free this year. Im sure there is a crafty 'bombshell' going to be dropped on us.

This is exactly the type of "force install" I was talking about with my previous response about it. The average user (ie not most of the users on this forum), will not know what to do when a dialog box pops up, and end up installing Windows 10, whether they wanted to or not. And Microsoft is doing their best to make is appear as if the user has no choice, not only with that "Yes, Yes - Later" pic I linked in the earlier responce, but with even further install dialog boxes that ONLY have a "Install Now" clickable box, and even the Automatic update route which will install W10 without user intervention, other then a dialog box which pops up alerting the user that the PC needs to be rebooted to finalize the W10 upgrade. The average PC user will NOT know what to do in that last situation, and inadvertently end up installing W10. Yes, there is always the option to revert back to W7/8, but then they will get the same dialog boxes once again hounding for a W10 install. It would be a endless cycle that would end up with the user just leaving W10 installed.

PS: wingman, Yeah I dont know what to say on that. For whatever reason the wife's PC would not let me do any security updates even though it told me what ones were needed. Like I said before you might wanna treat that Win 7 like gold. It seems like sooner or later we will all be forced to 10.

You can get all Windows 7 updates here: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

This will download all updates according to your options set, which will allow you to update Windows 7/8 (and even XP I believe) offline. You can write them off to a DVD or USB stick, and have it available for any install you do. Like with my Windows 7 SP1 install disk I use for my VMs and PC, I can always do a fresh reinstall when needed, and then use the USB stick with the updates to fully get the fresh install updated to the most recent patches.

Also on this thread's topic, there used to be a 30 day rollback period where Windows 10 is supposed to keep your old OS in the Windows.old folder for you to revert to your old OS.

Is that not the case any more?

Also on this thread's topic, there used to be a 30 day rollback period where Windows 10 is supposed to keep your old OS in the Windows.old folder for you to revert to your old OS.

Is that not the case any more?

That's still the case. However, you're basically put back right to where you were before you upgraded, back to where you are getting the dialog boxes to upgrade to W10.

ok.

I am not getting this on my Windows 8.0 but that's probably because I have automatic updates turned off and only update Windows manually.

People affected, please post if this .bat file solves your problem:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx" /v DisableGWX /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v DisableOSUpgrade /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v AllowOSUpgrade /d 0 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v ReservationsAllowed /d 0 /f
TASKKILL /IM GWX.exe /T /F

start /wait wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart /log
exit

ok.

I am not getting this on my Windows 8.0 but that's probably because I have automatic updates turned off and only update Windows manually.

People affected, please post if this .bat file solves your problem:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx" /v DisableGWX /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v DisableOSUpgrade /d 1 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v AllowOSUpgrade /d 0 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /v ReservationsAllowed /d 0 /f
TASKKILL /IM GWX.exe /T /F

exit

It's my understanding that Windows 8.0 will not qualify for the Win10 upgrade. You would have to update to 8.1 for the nags to start. Secondly, is it meant to repeat that last line of the batch file? THX

Z

ok.

That is a single .bat file. If it fails to solve the problem, please post, we will figure this out no matter how many times Microsoft adapts.
There is no way this would stand. It may be complicated but nags can be removed and step 1 is to try that .bat file.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like us to figure out a manual way but if anyone is in a hurry here is a program that should disable it promptly:
More info on this program:

Yea I saw the article and I don't see this going over well in IT. We're on Win7 and if anything this is going to make the final push to move to IOS for client devices and Linux for the servers. Nothing good can come of this....

Yea I saw the article and I don't see this going over well in IT. We're on Win7 and if anything this is going to make the final push to move to IOS for client devices and Linux for the servers. Nothing good can come of this....

I'm guessing this is more directed at home users.

Z

As long as you are running Win7 Enterprise it is a non-issue.

Also, please don't consider trying to make OSX/Mac an enterprise OS, it really really doesn't work well unless you are going to put forth a TON of effort and using the software back end to do it. Otherwise it is truly an awful admin experience.

No, most of the bugs haven't been worked out in Win10. Micro****ty doesn't even beta test, they have the developers do a short wave of alpha testing to deem the software "functional" and then put it out there. They treat their updates much in the same respect. What's really atrocious is that the updates - designed to support and improve the OS - can end up breaking your installation depending up what third party programs you have as I found out the hard way. Hell, even windows defender with its real time protection can conflict with an update. It goes to show how little the company cares about the end user or the compatibility of their OS with their own damn products.

EarthDog, sounds like you are using an OEM key tied to one specific motherboard. Weird the key although inactivated would still allow functional use of the OS.

I was reading on y combinator that windows 10 will eventually be REQUIRED in order to use skylake's full cpu capabilities. I can understand optimizing components to software, but telling me that it won't work at all unless ms has their way is like telling me to get down and lick their boots and be happy for it. FU ms and skylake can straight go f itself as well!! Once I'm finished with 7 it's linux all the way.

Back