• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just don't see the point in upgrading?

Supposedly the advantages are:

1. Better security

2. Future security updates after the sundown date

3. Better functionality with new devices

4. Faster boot up

I am sure there are other supposed benefits.

soooooooo, is it time for me to take off my tin foil hat and change all my rigs to win10?
have most of the bugs been worked out of it?

Yes , but you have to wrap your PC in tinfoil.........

I let my media server automatically upgrade, bad idea. Most everything worked ok but no Window Media Center, bad news for anyone with a TV Turner card

And that is my "lost functionality" issue.

Supposedly the advantages are:

1. Better security

2. Future security updates after the sundown date

3. Better functionality with new devices

4. Faster boot up

I am sure there are other supposed benefits.

5. DX12

I dont use a tuner card, but, isn't there another free program that one could use that works instead of WMP?

I dont use a tuner card, but, isn't there another free program that one could use that works instead of WMP?

Generally depends on the tuner, my ceton infinitv wouldn't work on anything else besides it, at least not with the function of wmp.

No they were not, with Windows Vista and 7 if you dident activate within 30 days, it would lock you out.

Not really true. I have benching OS and some have half year+ without activation. All is working fine. All in the benching team know the pain of reinstalling OS when it crashes ( and it happens quite often ) and product key is signed to the motherboard so no one who is thinking is activating windows for some tests when will change platform in couple of days.

To install Win7 you don't even need any key but for Win8/10 it's required. Anyway it will pass installation with any key and later if it won't be activated then the same as Win7 it will only show info that Windows is not activated in right bottom part of the screen.
What more, the same is in Windows Server 2008/2012.
Time required for activation may vary. Usually it's between 3 and 30 days. Test versions can have it longer.
WinXP was locking after 30 days but only standard box/oem version. Group installations like MAPS only required key during installation.

Generally depends on the tuner, my ceton infinitv wouldn't work on anything else besides it, at least not with the function of wmp.
My Hauppauge has the same problem. I have looked for a program since I got my first Developer's Preview of Win 8. MS ended up with a code I could use to get Media Center for 8 at no cost. Then they wanted me to pay for 8. And 8 sucked. So I went back to 7. I can get a new CD from Hauppauge for $10.00 , but I haven't checked their site for a while so I don't know if 10 is even supported. I gave up when I would have had to spend an extra $10 on top of buying Win 8 just to make things work. And 8 sucked. LOL

its actually done that on a few of your work computers, but they just download it and its ready to install it doesnt actually force the install.
View attachment 174275

I'll see your "doesn't actually force the install" (and tinfoil hats), and raise you a 'do you want to install, yes - yes (later)' dialog box that the average pc user wouldn't know how to cancel.

Win10.jpg

Gotta love the 3GB+ download, fees may apply blurb after the fact that it's already been downloaded.

Not really true. I have benching OS and some have half year+ without activation. All is working fine. All in the benching team know the pain of reinstalling OS when it crashes ( and it happens quite often ) and product key is signed to the motherboard so no one who is thinking is activating windows for some tests when will change platform in couple of days.

To install Win7 you don't even need any key but for Win8/10 it's required. Anyway it will pass installation with any key and later if it won't be activated then the same as Win7 it will only show info that Windows is not activated in right bottom part of the screen.
What more, the same is in Windows Server 2008/2012.
Time required for activation may vary. Usually it's between 3 and 30 days. Test versions can have it longer.
WinXP was locking after 30 days but only standard box/oem version. Group installations like MAPS only required key during installation.
Hua? W10 does not require a key. You can press cancel and still install the software. You dont even need to enter a fake key, you can just cancel out. You also do not have a 30 day limit. You can remain inactivated as long as you want and you will even receive windows updates.

I'll see your "doesn't actually force the install" (and tinfoil hats), and raise you a 'do you want to install, yes - yes (later)' dialog box that the average pc user wouldn't know how to cancel.

View attachment 174377

Gotta love the 3GB+ download, fees may apply blurb after the fact that it's already been downloaded.

il see your "forced install", there is an X button in the top right corner if you take off your blinders. dont agree to install it.

View attachment 174377

Sadly though if you simply click the "X" and close this you will NOT get your security updates. I wrestled with a Win7 system for the Mrs. that would not no matter what i did allow me to just install the security updates. It was either Win 10 or NO updates at all. I even went as far as removing the updates(s) that turn on the Win10 icon etc. NO luck. YMMV. Welcome to Win10 ppl.

Z

PS: I see MS has given us a 'cryptic' work around. I cant imagine the average user doing this. Also this came out AFTER I was forced to update to 10. lol. Oh well I did get 10Pro so I wont complain too much.

Last edited:
I did indeed Wingman. After doing that and removing all updates related it still tried to force feed me 10. I finally gave up and let it do its thing. I read through the link in the first post but when I was fighting this a couple weeks ago that link didnt exist. And since I have finally allowed the update I can no longer test the theory.

Z

i miss windows aero and gadgets (i installed gadgets from a 3rd party source anyway though)

other than that i like windows 10 better than windows 7
the differences are minimal IMO though

i went from a pirated windows 7 ultimate to a legit windows 10 pro
that was pretty cool

also, i changed motherboards after i installed win 10. asrock pro3 to extreme4
no problems there. didnt ask for any new activation or whatever

I did indeed Wingman. After doing that and removing all updates related it still tried to force feed me 10. I finally gave up and let it do its thing. I read through the link in the first post but when I was fighting this a couple weeks ago that link didnt exist. And since I have finally allowed the update I can no longer test the theory.

Z
Zuzzz I had a botched windows 7 install after cloning the drive for my Samsung SSD, the windows 7 would not back up my files any more and I could not get it fixed. So now for 2 weeks I have been using my PC with windows 10 so I can't test anymore. Wow I just remembered I have windows 7 on my laptop let me go see.

I let my media server automatically upgrade, bad idea. Most everything worked ok but no Window Media Center, bad news for anyone with a TV Turner card. I just re-installed Win 7 Pro to get it back. I like Win 7 and I don't plan to upgrade for a while.

The being said, my gaming machine is Win 10 and I really like that, works great.
for you and everyone else who NEEDS wmc in windows 10 :)
http://lifehacker.com/get-windows-media-center-running-on-windows-10-with-a-f-1729919907

Back