• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've seen that popup before. I wonder if they will take out the option to prevent a upgrade?

The interesting thing is that Windows 10 is actually completely free. You dont need a CD key to install it, nor to use it. It has a message asking you activate windows, but that is it and there is an easy workaround for that too.

The interesting thing is that Windows 10 is actually completely free. You dont need a CD key to install it, nor to use it. It has a message asking you activate windows, but that is it and there is an easy workaround for that too.

Everything has a cost, one way or another. I hear there's big money in data mining. In any case , I don't believe win update works if IE is disabled so .....

Of course it does, I have booted my computer without being connected to my router many times. An Internet connection is not required to use W10.

"Will I need to be connected to the Internet in order to use Windows 10?

Windows 10 does not require an active Internet connection for everyday use. It works just fine offline and you can do everything you would normally do in Windows 7 or earlier. "

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Last edited by a moderator:
That is how all OSs were... there was just a little warning at the bottom of the screen...

(though I wouldn't continue down that path of how to remove it... ;))

I hid two updates in Win 7 and no more pop ups or nagging to go to the Dark Side. My computers have always had updates set to notify but don't download. Pretty easy work around. Besides , most of the evil in 10 can be neutralized by third party solutions and also exists in 7 and 8/8.1 Easy fixes.
I poke fun at W 10 , but I no longer see it as a threat to civilization as we know it. I gave up trying to save the masses from themselves on that score. A revelation I'm sure ED is glad to hear. LOL

I hid two updates in Win 7 and no more pop ups or nagging to go to the Dark Side. My computers have always had updates set to notify but don't download. Pretty easy work around. Besides , most of the evil in 10 can be neutralized by third party solutions and also exists in 7 and 8/8.1 Easy fixes.
I poke fun at W 10 , but I no longer see it as a threat to civilization as we know it. I gave up trying to save the masses from themselves on that score. A revelation I'm sure ED is glad to hear. LOL
And for my next trick, we need to get you off this Ivy bandwagon of utter madness. :p

Not the evils of software incompatibility.

Yeah , unfortunately I haven't found an exorcism for those demons. I wonder , could the incompatibility be intentional ? How many programs that used to work with Winders now have an equivalent app in the "App Store" ? For a small fee , of course.

Last edited:
Dont know. Since win 10 came about I have done many Linux installs. For my main rig, Linux is a no go. This ticks me off I need 7 or 8 not 10. But ten is still the ole Vister! Just updated. 6.4 was changed to 10.

I haven't been in the App Store so I have no idea , either. My mantra is "follow the money". I'm under no illusions as to the 'free' nature of W 10. We just have find the money before we can follow it in this case.

its actually done that on a few of your work computers, but they just download it and its ready to install it doesnt actually force the install.
foilhats_400.jpg

That is how all OSs were... there was just a little warning at the bottom of the screen...

(though I wouldn't continue down that path of how to remove it... ;))

No they were not, with Windows Vista and 7 if you dident activate within 30 days, it would lock you out.

I wonder why mine works just fine then? My review OS is W7 and is an unactivated copy. I have full functionality of the OS outside of the watermark on the bottom of the screen (maybe I don't get updates?). I do receive a popup that says I may be a victim of counterfeiting and it takes away my wallpaper, but then I put it back on (when I need the wallpaper in the screenshot). When I re-image it, I get all the updates through SP1. This OS has been stood up for months on various HDDs and motherboards. Its W7 Pro 64bit if that matters.

After thinking about it, my XP was like that. Its been so long since I was on XP, even for benching. I vaguely recall XP and having to re-image it after 30 days when I benched, but, not with W7. I have never had that OS activated on the review system in years. Not sure about 8 as I skipped that. Sorry for the blanket statement, I know though W7, at least for me, doesn't lock me out.

EDIT: Now, I enter a key upon install... it is a legit key but it is tied to another system, and now, Windows 10. Prior to that, I ran one activated (my daily driver) and the same key inactivated. both W7. Perhaps because I enter a key, is that why I still have 'full' functionality?

Last edited:
XP was the only one to lock you out as far as I know. I know for sure 7 doesn't you just can't update but otherwise is fully functional

soooooooo, is it time for me to take off my tin foil hat and change all my rigs to win10?
have most of the bugs been worked out of it?

I let my media server automatically upgrade, bad idea. Most everything worked ok but no Window Media Center, bad news for anyone with a TV Turner card. I just re-installed Win 7 Pro to get it back. I like Win 7 and I don't plan to upgrade for a while.

The being said, my gaming machine is Win 10 and I really like that, works great.

Back