• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flowmeter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was thinking before the reservoir too but it also has a flow adjuster. I could set the flow rate after the pump if I use a full speed d5 instead of a d5 vario pump. Making any pump into a vario pump.

The flowmeter is not going in the computer behind it. That's a computer I made form parts I had for my son's Minecraft server. Its got 8 SAS drives in a raid 10 with the raid controller water cooled too. It it using two pumps, the one in the cpu block and a d5 vario pump.

IMG_1607.JPG

Making any pump into a vario pump.

No, you aren't.

A vario changes the pump speed so that it uses less power and makes less noise.
Restricting the flow with (what is effectively) a pressure regulator is simply going to work the pump harder.

Sorry I understand. I see what you mean its more of a flow restrictor. the pump I have is a d5 strong. And what I read about that pump @ 12v its the same as a vario @ setting 4 is too much flow for the single cpu loop I'm using it for.

Negatives to running a pump too fast:
- more power draw
- more noise
- (slightly) shorter pump life

Next time, get a PWM pump instead of a fixed speed pump so that you can control the pump speed via software.

Just using the pump I had on hand instead of buying one. Found 3 d5 strong pumps at a yard sale. They were for a solar project. The seller said they were the wrong type. At $10 each I couldn't pass on.

Like I said, next time you buy just go to PWM.

Flip side; you could sell those for a lot more than $10 each, make some money, then buy a PWM pump and pocket the rest :thup:

The D5 strong is a noisy pump - You may want to try it out in a simple external test loop first before you commit to installing it in your PC.

I'm not sure but I think you might be able to control this with a Koolance pump controller.

Look at the specs. The D5 strong is pretty much a D5 at 12VDC. It's only strong when you add the 24VDC PSU for added cost and umm non-smartness.

Just use the D5.

"Sorry I understand. I see what you mean its more of a flow restrictor. the pump I have is a d5 strong. And what I read about that pump @ 12v its the same as a vario @ setting 4 is too much flow for the single cpu loop I'm using it for."

You have read that. Many, many including me used a D5 and set at 4. It was perfectly fine in my loop. What you have read is questionable and refuted by 1000's who just did it.

Why is it too strong? Vortex in the res? Noise? Res empties too fast etc etc etc.

Just do it.

When I checked online, it says the "D5 Strong" is a 24v pump and that Koolance rebrands it so I figured it was worth a shot to look into.

This is the controller I was thinking of.

Back