• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Envy dv7-7264er Nvidia Card Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pbcranium202

I had an HP dv7t-7200 that went out of warranty. Motherboard part # 682016-501 overheated and fried. I bought a compatible motherboard part # 682040-501 that was more powerful and installed it. The only difference between the motherboards, is the Nvidia card and the maximum installable ram limit. Old motherboard 682016-501 has a Nvidia GT 630m with 8GB max Ram. New Motherboard 682040-501 has Nvidia GT 650m with 16GB max Ram. After install of new motherboard, the video card IDs as the old 630m video card with a yellow exclamation mark in the hardware settings. I uninstalled the driver and installed the correct driver, and it reverted back to the 630m. They both apparently use the same video driver.

Troubleshooting attempted:
Removed and reinstalled drivers.
Reloaded windows 8.
Installed windows 8 on 100% formatted hard drive.
Installed windows 10 pro full version on 100% formatted hard drive.

I heard that the bios information from the original hard drive may have transferred the old motherboard information to the motherboard bios. Is that possible? If so, how and where do I get the bios data to flash the bios. Never done that before. Don't want to brick the motherboard.

pbc,

Hm, there is a first for everything. I work on and with computers everyday, and I've never come across a situation like what your dealing with.

I can't offer any advice for you, but I can point you in the right direction in regards to giving the bios a flash.

You'll want to head over to HP's Support site and snag the "HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Support Environment" download under "Utility-Tools" as it will assist you in updating the BIOS.

GL!

Last edited:
If you have done a fresh install on a clean HDD then I would move on to the BIOS. I have never heard of info moving to the BIOS from the HDD but as the man said "There is a first time for everything"

Flashing a bios is not difficult to do, but does have its risks. If you want some help I am sure there are those here who can. I think the first step would be to post a link for the BIOS you are going to try flashing so it can be double checked by someone who knows. If you are confident that youve got the right one then there are usually instructions on the download page. Make sure to get the official one from your board manufacturer.

Back