• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This goes out to Hokie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
About a couple years ago, Hokie had a P4 521 chip up for free to a bench team member. I got it from him and that was the very first piece of 775 HW I owned. Since then I have gathered quite a few pieces of HW for that socket but those chips seemed to be quite elusive. Some boards would run them but limited voltage. Others wouldn't run them at all. Finally I have an ASUS Maximus Formula X38 flashed to the Rampage Formula X48 and I have some results on that chip which I will post. I just wanted to say thanks to Hokie for starting me down this path and point out to others how something so small can amount to something much bigger. I'm still learning about this platform but it's fun and so broad, so many chips were made for this socket and all of them can be OC'd. As a predominately AMD man, I had no idea what was in store for me so this goes out to you Hokie and thanks for opening my eyes. :salute:

This is still a work in progress. Should be able to make some improvements.
wp1024m 1829.719.JPG

I don't see setfsb on your desktop. It's a must use tool for 775 to get the most out of the cpus...it'll allow you to bump the fsb beyond what you can boot to windows with using a bios fsb setting.

I have it just wasn't using it. I was just getting a feel for the chip. It was starting to get finicky around 4.5

Definitely give it a try before tearing down the setup and moving on. Depending on the cpu, it was not uncommon to be able to add 50-100 fsb (I tended to boot at 400fsb and end up at 575+, 650-ish was my max). In almost all cases, there was no way for me to get into windows at those levels (550-650).

That damn thing is slower then a Sempy....I always knew AMD was better... :D :escape::chair:

This A64 wasn't far off and same idea with NB memcontrol and it's alot slower without HT,, I'm sure a higher series would give it a good run.

image_id_1574644.jpeg

I have a couple 531's and a 640 IIRC to test as well. higher multis might get a bit more action out of them.

You guys are making me want to get a 775 Lga board to bench the 2 P4's I have.

&&% CPUs are cheap just have to get a decent board not so cheap

Back