• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shipping Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I am planning on shipping a computer to a friend about 800 miles away. It is in a mid tower case with a micro atx board, intel stock cooler, and a GTX 660. I was basically planning on getting some anti-static foam peanuts and stuffing the computer until nothing can move around inside with the panel closed. Then wrapping the case in some thick bubble wrap, and sending if off in a box with tons of fragile symbols on it and a "this side up sign" with the motherboard parallel to the ground. Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

I think you should be okay with packing it the way you have described. I would still have concerns if the system had a tall, heavy air cooler still mounted to the motherboard but since you only have the light, low profile Intel stock cooler it should not be a problem. I would definitely insure it for the value, however. The loading dock gorillas can be brutal.

"fragile" is Italian for drop me and kick me.

If you are going to go the peanut route...put them in little plastic baggies first. The peanuts "shed"...and he'll never get all of that crap out of the inside of the computer. Make sure the baggies are anti-static.

Another option is anti-static ESD bubble wrap. You can ball it up, and fill the inside of the case.

Is your friend computer savy enough to install the graphics card? If so, I would remove that. Also, are the hard drives screwed in with holders that are screwed in? (i.e. not "tool-less"). If they don't screw in, I would remove them too. One good bump will knock a "tool-less" hard drive install out...could smash a SATA data or power connector.

Canceled my order for anti-static peanuts and am going with your bubble wrap route. I ordered .5inx1ftx50ft. Should be enough to fill every damn spot. With every void filled, there should be no room for the graphics card to move to. I will see how convinced I am when I have it all ready.

As an extra bonus, you get to pop all of the bubbles on what's left over on your bubble wrap roll!

:D

Back