• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i have a new build and am having trouble with bottleneck, help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

watcher6342

i just finished my newest build, gave the old one to my son. i built it using the pc partspicker page. i am having trouble with a bottle neck and i think it is in the cpu because i read somewhere that i should boost it, to fix the problem. i havnt done any oc' ing since i was last here and am not sure what needs to be done. there are 7 fans for cooling and i am planning on getting a ADATA SSD 256 HDD soon. just need advice of some gurus to help me whip her into shape if you dont mind. i havnt played any games on her yet but would like to get her into a higher state without over taxing her. can someone help me with that?

this is new build...

MOBO - ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

CPU - AMD FX-6300

RAM - -GSKILL 16GB 2X4 RIPJAW X SERIES DDR3 2133 (PC17000)

GPU - AMD RADEON R9 200 SERIES

MONITOR - AOC 2752H 27 IN.

hyper 212 evo for cpu

850 xr evga for psu

gpu is r9 270 direct x 11,2 2gb

- - - Updated - - -

Why cooling are you using on the CPU?

Secondly, saying R9 200 series can mean a handful of different cards, which one is it exactly?

Also, what are you using to determine that you have a bottleneck in the first place?

hyper 212 evo for cpu

850 xr evga for psu

gpu is r9 270 direct x 11,2 2gb

Here's the bulldozer overclocking guide: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

- - - Updated - - -

it just seems to be alot slower. hope hdd isnt dying. it just seems to lag and not push through.

It seems to be slower than your old computer? Or slower than what?

How old is the HDD? Likely the SSD would greatly improve your experience with the snappiness that it can provide for booting and operating system and application loading.

I don't understand the statement 'it seems to lag and not push through' -- it lags doing what and push through what?

I'm proud to say that on this forum we have some of the nicest, most helpful amd overclockers up in the cpu's/amd section that are more than willing to help you get your cpu up to what it can be.
just open a thread there listed as " please help ocfx6300 or something like that and I am more than sure that the guys will chime right in.

depending on the games you play the card might be a little weak.

on ssd's, they should be sold with any performance board, once you try one a spinner is just out of the question.

best of luck!

It seems to be slower than your old computer? Or slower than what?

How old is the HDD? Likely the SSD would greatly improve your experience with the snappiness that it can provide for booting and operating system and application loading.

I don't understand the statement 'it seems to lag and not push through' -- it lags doing what and push through what?

it is my original 500 gb hdd and it is about 8 years old, it seems that when i try to go to a new page or website, it takes longer. i dont see why it should. one of my kids just flew to WA. state and she is a bandwidth hog and my son has been at work, so no one here to hog bandwidth. it just seems to be not as fast as it used to be.

- - - Updated - - -

im not really a gamer, but i bought it to use more for movies . it is 2gb and my last was 1 gb. so i would think it is plenty for what i need. that is why i came to the gurus, so i could get advice and learn if i can tweak it here and there.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the new build on a clean Os install?

yes, i did a complete do over when i rebuilt the system.only thing left to replace is hdd. i wiped the hdd about 2 months ago and did a clean install. maybe it is just getting wore out and needs to be replaced. gave my son a 2 tb hdd because i was not using it.

So... the internet is slower? Have you run bandwidth tests (speedtest.net)? Try reinstalling the NIC driver?

When you did this 'do over' did you install the chipset drivers from the website?

It doesn't sound like it's a bottleneck of any sort as far as the Cpu and Gpu are concerned. Check your internet as per Earthdogs suggestions and also update the motherboard drivers. It may also be that the HD is just getting old and may need to be replaced. Single best upgrade for any Pc is a SSD, if it's in the budget.

Tell us about the "old system," the one you gave your son. If your new system is slower than the old one we would need to know the particulars on the old one. Maybe it was in fact more powerful than the new one. For instance, if the old system had an Intel i7 processor it may very well be faster even though it is older.

And you say you did a fresh install of the OS about two months ago? Were all the new parts in place by then? Have you checked for viruses and malware? That can also dramatically slow down a computer.

But I would wait until you get your SSD in place, do a fresh install of the OS, and then reevaluate. That old spinner hard drive could very will be the culprit. If it has bad sectors it cold be corrupting OS files.

Tell us about the "old system," the one you gave your son. If your new system is slower than the old one we would need to know the particulars on the old one. Maybe it was in fact more powerful than the new one. For instance, if the old system had an Intel i7 processor it may very well be faster even though it is older.

And you say you did a fresh install of the OS about two months ago? Were all the new parts in place by then? Have you checked for viruses and malware? That can also dramatically slow down a computer.

i just erased the old build from my profile yesterday. i think you were the main one i asked with help from it. :).. this one is a step up. when i get home i will check drivers and internet speed, but last week all drivers were up to date and the internet speed has been increased since last build. everything was clean and all was in place. just added 8 more gb of ram sunday i think. i ordered an.(ADATA PREMIER PRO SP900 2.5 256 GB SSD) today. hopefully it is just a old hdd and this will fix problem.

But I would wait until you get your SSD in place, do a fresh install of the OS, and then reevaluate. That old spinner hard drive could very will be the culprit. If it has bad sectors it cold be corrupting OS files.

- - - Updated - - -

i just erased the old build from my profile yesterday. i think you were the main one i asked with help from it. .. this one is a step up. when i get home i will check drivers and internet speed, but last week all drivers were up to date and the internet speed has been increased since last build. everything was clean and all was in place. just added 8 more gb of ram sunday i think. i ordered an.(ADATA PREMIER PRO SP900 2.5 256 GB SSD) today. hopefully it is just a old hdd and this will fix problem.

- - - Updated - - -

will speed test tonight. will reinstall nic drivers also. drivers were all from website.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't sound like it's a bottleneck of any sort as far as the Cpu and Gpu are concerned. Check your internet as per Earthdogs suggestions and also update the motherboard drivers. It may also be that the HD is just getting old and may need to be replaced. Single best upgrade for any Pc is a SSD, if it's in the budget.

will do.

im getting ready for bed. will try to update bios this weekend, or should i just wait until i get the ssd in from newegg?

does anyone know if i can clone my spinner hdd to an ssd hdd from the built in hot swap dock on my computer tower, or should i just install the ssd hdd and then clone the spinner?

You need software to clone, but it should be doable in the hotswap dock... its just another port on the board.

I don't know how you would install the SSD then clone it from another machine... it would have to be on the same machine.

Did I understand what you wanted?

the spinner is on my current comp, the ssd will be replacing it as main hdd.i just want to copy it all over to the ssd and then put the spinner as a backup.

Back