• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i have a new build and am having trouble with bottleneck, help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Honestly... seeing all the issues here, I would start with a fresh install again instead of cloning it. If there is a problem with the OS, you would just copy it over.

But if you take the cloning route, you would need to do it in that PC with cloning software.

I'm ED on this one, if you clone it and still have issues you will have to do a fresh install anyways, so just fresh install on the new drive and wipe the old one you want to use as a backup :thup:

+1 to the others, do a fresh install on the SSD to make sure everything is good and aligned and configured as well for it.

when doing a bios update, is there anything i should be aware of before hand? like, will it screw up the comp or anything?

also, this morning before work. i wanted to increase the voltage to the cpu a little. i looked but was not sure of the steps. is there any kind of step by step i should know about. im not sure what to increase.

Honestly... seeing all the issues here, I would start with a fresh install again instead of cloning it. If there is a problem with the OS, you would just copy it over.

But if you take the cloning route, you would need to do it in that PC with cloning software.
i think you are right. maybe it needs to be fresh and i also think i will not update any updates excepy for important and recommended and leave the optionals off this time. i dont have time to go through all the numbers to see which ones to avoid.

if anyone has a list of things that can be tweaked and in what order. i dont remember anything from the last one that was overclocked. lightning smoked the mobo at last house, so i kept new set up as normal. with this one, i want to make it fast but not super gaming fast. i will add other ssd hdds as i get the cash. maybe a tower with more room than the one i have now. it said it was a full tower but it is nowhere as roomy as my last tower. i want something sleek. just a black plain box with some nice features. like the Corsair 600C Black Computer Case. i just want more room on the inside, that will let me do water cooled. i have never had a water cooled system and think maybe, if i am going to oc this thing then maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to add a little extra cooling to it.

Macrium Reflect is excellent free software that will clone a disk. A USB enclosure or docking station is the easiest and safest way to clone. If you connect it as a SATA when you go to clone you may have trouble creating a bootable clone. If you do use a SATA connection I strongly suggest removing it before you reboot the machine. Windows doesn't seem to like having two boot drives connected at the same time. At least that has been my experience.

Using auto tune is likely a really bad idea. I've yet to see it work where it Oc's the setup properly. It will usually Oc the cpu but drop the ram, Nb and Ht link speeds significantly. I suggest not using it and if you have used it before, it may be the issue. If you want to Oc follow this thread, though you're best bet is to get it working properly first then Oc it.

Using auto tune is likely a really bad idea. I've yet to see it work where it Oc's the setup properly. It will usually Oc the cpu but drop the ram, Nb and Ht link speeds significantly. I suggest not using it and if you have used it before, it may be the issue. If you want to Oc follow this thread, though you're best bet is to get it working properly first then Oc it.
yes i want to oc but it will be after i get the ssd. i just want to get it to take the lag out. im just not sure what goes up and what goes where. i want to oc the cpu, gpu, and ram.

I have no idea what that chip does at stock settings with the Wprime bench. If you could post screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. It will give us a better look under the hood so to speak.

The updated screen shots are they taken after you took the auto tune off? Reason I ask is because the first Cpu-Z Cpu tab the cpu is overclocked using the FSB. If you look at that tab the bus speed is set to 216 and should be at 200 for default. Additionally, the first Cpu-Z memory tab the Dram is running at 1732 Mhz and the second the Dram is at 1600 Mhz. I assume the updated screen shots the bus speed is back to 200Mhz?! For now lets just keep the rig at stock settings to see if the issues you are having still persist.

Back