• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! New 6600k Z170 build - BSOD w/ XMP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GLOBO696

Registered
Firstimer here, so excuse my lack of knowledge or skill, but I need some help from the veterans!

So, I just put together my PC two days ago, and have been setting it up in my freetime. I am running a Z170A Krait Gaming mobo, i5 6600k, and 8gb 2x4 Patriot Viper 4 3400mhz memory. First setting up Inoticed my memory was running at 2166mhz. I turned on XMP and it shot up to the 3400mhz mark,and my core speed went up as well to 3.97ghz.

I've never done this before so I have no idea if that's what's supposed to happen or what... But I went with it. I've gotten basically tothe point now where I've installed Windows 7 Professional and I'm attempting to "Search for Updates". I have done NO OC'ing. But every time I search for updates, I get a BSOD. When I turn XMP off, no more blue screen. I am stumped. Is it my timings? My mobo is compatible with 3400 memory, but I am not sure about the proc.

Please help a newbie out fellas. It would be much appreciated!

Did you make sure that memory was listed on the motherboard manufacturers compatibility list?

I turned on XMP and it shot up to the 3400mhz mark,and my core speed went up as well to 3.97ghz.

Those XMP speeds might not work with all CPUs atleast with stock voltages. Some of the Intel OC gurus will need to help you since I have no idea how to increase voltages to the memory controller and bus or rather what those settings are called.

Did you make sure that memory was listed on the motherboard manufacturers compatibility list?

I must've misread it when I bought it... Everything I'm reading now says the mobo only supports up to 3200. Is there anyway to downclock it, while still overclocking my cpu successfully?

- - - Updated - - -

Those XMP speeds might not work with all CPUs atleast with stock voltages. Some of the Intel OC gurus will need to help you since I have no idea how to increase voltages to the memory controller and bus or rather what those settings are called.

Well I guess I got misinformed on the ONE site I looked the specs up on before buying the memory. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. My mobo only goes up to 3200mhz. I should be able to downclock it for my mobo sake right?

Try manually set the timings and voltage. Use the memory multiplier to set 3200MHz, then use the BCLK to get you to 3400 Mhz. Just watch your CPU speed as that will go up as well.

As a side note, the QVL list, while useful, only shows what is tested. If its not on the list, that doesn't necessarily mean it failed/will not work. If you are looking for 100% certainty, stick to that list, for sure. But one will find that there are plenty of useable sticks that are not on the QVL list. In fact, I don't think I have ever checked a QVL list, LOL!

That board is listed for 3400 mem but at an OC. SO the XMP profile id making the changes needed to run the mem at rated speed but the could be other factors such as V-Core too low. You may need a bump to the SA voltage and IO voltage It's hard to tell without more specifics. Do all your updates etc at stock then try the XMP and give us some numbers for voltages HWMonitor free in a SS with CPUz main, mem and SPD tabs would help us.

Try manually set the timings and voltage. Use the memory multiplier to set 3200MHz, then use the BCLK to get you to 3400 Mhz. Just watch your CPU speed as that will go up as well.

As a side note, the QVL list, while useful, only shows what is tested. If its not on the list, that doesn't necessarily mean it failed/will not work. If you are looking for 100% certainty, stick to that list, for sure. But one will find that there are plenty of useable sticks that are not on the QVL list. In fact, I don't think I have ever checked a QVL list, LOL!

I will give it a shot! I'll get back to you guys when I'm done to get a little help in OC'ing this rig. Thanks!

Don't forget the info Johan requested... this will help moving forward if my quick settings don't work. Up to 3200MHz you should be good with stock voltages, above that may need a kick in the arse as he said. ;)

EDIT: Wait wait wait.. I missed something... you are hitting 3400 MHz but are not stable. You will need to bump up some voltage, either the Vcore or the SA like Johan mentioned.... ignore my original instructions, please. :)

That board is listed for 3400 mem but at an OC. SO the XMP profile id making the changes needed to run the mem at rated speed but the could be other factors such as V-Core too low. You may need a bump to the SA voltage and IO voltage It's hard to tell without more specifics. Do all your updates etc at stock then try the XMP and give us some numbers for voltages HWMonitor free in a SS with CPUz main, mem and SPD tabs would help us.

Funny thing is, I already downloaded and installed a BUNCH of other stuff and it did it flawlessly with the XMP on and at the 3.97ghz it automatically set itself at. But as soon as I started searching for windows updates, bsod.

But I will give it a shot! I'll get back to you guys when I'm done to get a little help in OC'ing this rig. Thanks!

You will be able to get an idea of what needs the voltage by stress testing the CPU. Use P95 Torture test small FFT. If you BSOD there, I would give it a bit more vcore. If that seems to pass for a while, then run blend and see if you get that BSOD. If you do, then I would look into the SA/IO voltage.

You will be able to get an idea of what needs the voltage by stress testing the CPU. Use P95 Torture test small FFT. If you BSOD there, I would give it a bit more vcore. If that seems to pass for a while, then run blend and see if you get that BSOD. If you do, then I would look into the SA/IO voltage.

Okay for sure man. I'll give it a shot! Thanks EarthDog

Okay, so I am NOT running XMP right now, but I am trying to get my CPU at a stable OC. Right now as we speak, my CPU is running at the specs in the attached screen shot. It seems odd to me, but I'm following instructions in a video for my OC'ing my proc. Everything is AUTO except for the multiplier which I changed. I am at 4.6GHz and my Core Voltage is ranging anywhere from 1.024 to 1.096 according to CPU-Z. That seems WAY too low to me, and I don't even want to try a stress test.

Help?

***EDIT*** I did away with W7 Pro and Upgraded to W10 Pro. It went without an issue and I was able to install everything and do all the updates with no problem. I guess the new hardware didn't like the old OS lol

Screenshot (1).png

We switched to CPU overclocking now? Ok...!

Chances are its not reading the voltage right. Also, its not a good guide if it tells you to use auto in the first place. ;)

Reset your BIOS to default...and reboot back to the bios. Check to see what voltage your CPU is at there. Once you find that value. Set it manually. For 4.5GHz I would start at 1.35v and see if its 'stable' (few minutes of a stress test), if so, push up to 4.6Ghz... rinse and repeat. Keep temps under 90C while stress testing and voltage under 1.425V.

oh, and in my signature is a link to a haswell overclocking guide. It is unbearably complicated for what really needs to happen (cpu voltage and multiplier) on this platform but it should give you a great working knowledge of how things work. :)

We switched to CPU overclocking now? Ok...!

Chances are its not reading the voltage right. Also, its not a good guide if it tells you to use auto in the first place. ;)

Reset your BIOS to default...and reboot back to the bios. Check to see what voltage your CPU is at there. Once you find that value. Set it manually. For 4.5GHz I would start at 1.35v and see if its 'stable' (few minutes of a stress test), if so, push up to 4.6Ghz... rinse and repeat. Keep temps under 90C while stress testing and voltage under 1.425V.

oh, and in my signature is a link to a haswell overclocking guide. It is unbearably complicated for what really needs to happen (cpu voltage and multiplier) on this platform but it should give you a great working knowledge of how things work. :)

Okie dokie! Let's hope for no smokie! LOL

Yeah I decided that since I will be OC'ing anyways, that I should probably stabilize my CPU before enabling XMP. That way I can know for sure that it is my XMP if things get unstable.

- - - Updated - - -

What Stress Test do you recommend for these Skylakes?

Yes and no. That Memory won't run at speed without altering the FSB so even if you get a stable OC when you activate XMP it's likely going to change everything and may also set the bard back to different clocks.

Okay so what do you suggest? I want to do this right, but I'm not sure how. I WANT my full 3400MHz out of my memory, but I also want at least 4.6GHz out of this proc lol I'm just not sure on what to handle first.

Well, I said screw it and exchanged the 3400 for some 3200, and now it's plug and play. No hassles, and I can get to OC'ing this 6600k! :)

LOL, nice! That's one way to do it!

Let us know if you need anything!! It should be just multiplier and vcore... then play the game of stable at XX clocks at the least amount of votlage needed. Keep voltage under 1.42V and temps at 90C or less while stress testing.

LOL, nice! That's one way to do it!

Let us know if you need anything!! It should be just multiplier and vcore... then play the game of stable at XX clocks at the least amount of votlage needed. Keep voltage under 1.42V and temps at 90C or less while stress testing.

Sorry for late reply! Just wanted to give you an update and get some help!

So, I got my 6600k to 4.5GHz @ 1.35v stable via Aida64 Extreme. Haven't actually tested in game yet, but I'm sure it'll be fine when I get around to it. The problem I'm coming across now is that when I enable my XMP to run my memory at it's factory 3200MHz speed, I become unstable in Aida64. The strange thing is that NO settings change when I enable XMP except for the speed itself. No BCLK, no dram voltage, no forced cpu OC... but for some reason it is just unstable.

Anyone have any advice on how I can run my mem at 3200 stable?

Should I bump my dram voltage?

***EDIT*** as for the CPU overclocking, I haven't really tried to go any further with it. I know you said 1.42v max and 90C, but I have read all the paranoid folk's posts about "stay under 1.35 or it's gonna smoke", and I think the paranoia rubbed off lol

So Skylakes are safe for up to 1.42? I really just want to stay on the 95% or more safe side lol

Last edited:
Back