• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for new GPU. specific size and power connector requirements!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

hello all.

I am looking for a new GPU, but having a hard time finding a card that will fit my strict size/power connector/performance options.

The issue:
-I can fit a full height card, but not any taller than the standard height. this is because of my case, Antec Fusion Remote. Any taller than the standard height, and I cannot close the lid of the case. a standard height card will be 1-2mm away from the case lid when closed
-this brings me to the second issue. even if the card is standard height, I run into problems because 99% of the cards out, have the power cable connections at the TOP of the card. well, i can't hook up that way with no clearance to the top panel. That is the situation that I am in right now. my card is standard height, but with top power connection, so i am forced to leave the case lid off.
-due to additional space constraints. the card cannot be longer than 10", preferably 1-2" shorter than that.

you can see space constraints here:
12.jpg
06.jpg

my current card:
9.9"x4.4" - it fits, but top cable connection prevents me from closing case.
14-150-686-06.jpg

Requirements:
-must be equal to or faster/more powerful than my current card (in my sig, 270x).
-must be shorter than 10"
-must not be taller than the standard height for a PCIe card (which i believe is 4.4")
-must have a power connection facing FORWARD, or STRAIGHT OUT (90*) from the PCB face.
-must not be wider than 2 PCI slots.

help me find my unicorn? I've seen some of the mini-ITX inspired cards in the nvidia 960 and 970 flavors, which are great for physical size, but have top power connections :(

the closest thing i could find was this sapphire R7 370 card, but from what i could find, it underperforms against my current 270x
HERE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202152

Nano would get my vote as well, I believe that has the power setup that you are looking for.

sorry. not looking to spend that much.

pretty marginal reviews too. artifacts, driver problems, overheating. i think they tried to cram too much into that small of a package.

i'd be perfect with gtx 960/970 level of performance.

I'm really considering this one Saphire R9 380: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202151

but i cant be sure it will fit, because they do not list a height! the one metric i need!

pretty marginal reviews too. artifacts, driver problems, overheating. i think they tried to cram too much into that small of a package.

I'm really considering this one Saphire R9 380: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202151

but i cant be sure it will fit, because they do not list a height! the one metric i need!

From Sapphire's site....9.3 x 4.96 x 1.46 Dimension /Inch 237.35 x 126.15 x 37 Dimension /mm

SOURCE

i think you're looking at the normal ATX formfactor card. what i linked is the ITX size card.

the sapphire page says it's 4.57" tall. 4.3mm taller than my current card.

i'm not sure i have that much available space :/

That is the other one I found in my post. :)

Its on the Sapphire website.....

Form Factor 2 Part Slot Occupied
6.7 x 4.57 x 1.46 Dimension /Inch
170 x 116.15 x 37 Dimension /mm

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=B67011FE-4BEC-427F-A7FE-C370A40F15BB&lang=eng

I guess that is too tall.

The Nano really isn't a bad card if left alone. Drivers have improved since release date 7 months ago..... but, that price...... :(

yeah so i went for the XFX one.

hopefully it fits! if not i can return it to amazon. (amazon's return policy is WAYYYYY better than newegg)

Got the card today. Good news and bad news.

Good News: It Fits!
Bad New: card is DOA.

Computer won't even POST with the 380 in, put the 270x back in and it boots up fine. Swapped them back and forth a few times, and never booted up with the 380. Tried both HDMI and DVI connections. Def seems to be something off with this card. Oh well. That's why I bought it from Amazon. They will cross ship me a new card for free, and I just have to send them the new card back within 30 days.

Did you plug in both power connectors? If you did sorry for the bad card, looks like Amazon was the way to go.

So... Replacement card isn't working either.

Now I'm wondering if it's something wrong with my system, like some kind of incompatability with new hardware?

I thought all PCI-e stuff was pretty much universal? Is it possible that my motherboard is just too old for the new hardware? Even though a 270x works perfectly fine?

My 270x hooks up to my 46" Samsung TV via HDMI-HDMI cable. I tried hooking the 380 up the same way and also via a DVI-HDMI cable.

Once I get the rest of stuff for my new build I'll try the card in my system with the new mb and CPU (LGA1150 based system)

Your bios on the board is at the latest version?

Does there happen to be a bios available at the card's website?

Well as I suspected, the 380 card works fine in the new MB.

Not sure why it wouldn't work in the old board when the 270x worked fine in the old board.

Back