• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking into upgrading my monitor(s), need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I'm looking for something in the 22-24" range, preferably with at least 1x DVI port and 1x HDMI port (a VGA port might be nice, as my current KVM switch I use with test systems and systems I have in for repair is limited to VGA, but isn't strictly necessary as I might move my current main monitor over to the test bench after I get a new one) (I probably need to upgrade to a newer KVM switch at some point.). Would be nice to find something that is VESA mounting compatible, as I am considering getting a desk-mounted monitor stand at some point.

I use my monitor for gaming (First Person Shooters usually) and web browsing primarily, and I might occasionally type up a spreadsheet in Excel, or a document in Word.

I have no need for built in speakers in a monitor, as they usually have pretty low quality sound reproduction and tend to sound tinny to me with no bass and little to nothing in the high range either (tweeter). So, even if it has speakers I likely won't use them.

From what I gather there isn't much difference between HDMI and DisplayPort when it comes to image quality, so maybe it doesn't matter which of those I use for my main monitor?

My current monitors are a Samsung S22A300B 21.5" 1920x1080 16:9 (main) July 2011 build date (4.5 years old), Hanns-G/Hannspree HB191D/HB191DPB 19" 1440x900 16:10 widescreen (secondary on main system) March 2008 build date (almost 8 years old), Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" 4:3 1280x1024 (test bench) September 2006 build date (a little under 9.5 years old).

I would appreciate some advice in this area, as I'm not that familiar with what monitors are good or bad or what I should be looking for.

Saw this one on sale the other day, but don't know if it's good or bad, or if it would suit my needs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112026

Last edited:
Got the budget for a U2414H?

Possibly, though I was hoping to get away with spending less than ~$200 for just a single monitor. If I buy it used, maybe it would be a better value for my dollars? Although from the research I was doing today it does seem like a better value in the $200 segment than many other ones I looked at. Saw some that had only a single DisplayPort connection paired with a single D-Sub/VGA connection, or single HDMI connection with a single D-Sub/VGA connection, and some had lower screen areas but had higher prices (even if other specs seemed similar). A combo of HDMI with DVI or DP with DVI seems to be a rare to nearly non-existent thing, except for on some lower-priced or older models.

Perhaps though my views of what a decent monitor should cost are unrealistic. Don't know, I don't have much experience in monitor shopping.

What should one expect to spend on a decent monitor that could have games played on it with decent visuals?

Maybe not specifically a "gaming-centered" monitor, as I've never experienced a gaming monitor. My current monitor is merely what I could afford at the time, and I happen to play games on it.

Also don't know if I should be looking for TN, or IPS, or LCD displays. My current one is an LCD with LED backlighting, and it's decent I guess, though doesn't have much in the way of connection options (just DVI and D-Sub).

If you watch for it on sale you'll get it for ~$170-180.

The panel is excellent quality, connections are plentiful, built in USB hub, calibrated colors, tiny bezel etc.

For the quality the price of the U2414H is incredibly good. It's a lot of features for what you pay.
Note that at release it was $300, it's now cheaper because newer generations are out that took over the premium price point.

Do you ever dabble in photo or video editing? Watch many movies? Look at the monitor from an angle?

You want to look for a new IPS or PLS panel they have better colors and viewing angles. Here is one that is vary nice in color and gaming that I have. LG 24MP47HQ

If you watch for it on sale you'll get it for ~$170-180.

The panel is excellent quality, connections are plentiful, built in USB hub, calibrated colors, tiny bezel etc.

For the quality the price of the U2414H is incredibly good. It's a lot of features for what you pay.
Note that at release it was $300, it's now cheaper because newer generations are out that took over the premium price point.

Do you ever dabble in photo or video editing? Watch many movies? Look at the monitor from an angle?

Well, after you suggested the Dell U2414H last week I ended up finding one on sale for $135. The company selling it said it was used, but it seems more like an open box item. Came with the original box, LCD panel, all three pieces of the stand (with screws), power cord, DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort cable (which I ultimately couldn't use because it wasn't long enough to reach my video card's port), and USB cable.

After getting it I'm so far surprised that it was so cheap (relative to the retail price). The one I received is less than six months old (by manufacture date), and shows no real signs of previous usage. I do have to say that I'm liking it so far. The text from the forum here and other websites shows up much more clearly and is larger than on my previous 1080p monitor. On my old monitor the text always seemed small at the native resolution of 1080p, and sometimes a bit blurred (which it still does with my Samsung S22A300B set up as a secondary monitor). I never really noticed it much, but scrolling through articles and forum posts on the two monitors I notice the Samsung S22A300B looks blurry when I'm scrolling while I read, whereas the Dell U2414H doesn't.

The monitor is actually so bright in the default settings that I had to turn down the brightness to be at a more comfortable level. So, at least I don't have to worry about it being too dim.

I guess I owe you my thanks for your suggestion.

Last edited:
Glad you're liking it TT, now you understand why I'll always buy the Dell U Series!

B&H is awesome, they keep good deals on Dell monitors because so many people use Dell IPS for photo editing.

Back