• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crashes for the last 6 months...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Mew-

Registered
So for quite a while now since I build my new PC I've been crashing on intensive games, honestly I have no idea where to post this so I'll try here. The PC is stock not overclocked and that makes it even more weird.

PC specs:
0bf2500970.png

So here are the temperatures at the crash
d9438336eb.JPG

The crash is always accompanied by this buzz of the speakers. A constant stuck noise as seen here.

The crashed happens almost exclusively on modern games such as Battlefield 4, Fallout 4, Xcom 2 today, Star Wars Battlefront, GTA 5, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein and so on...
At first I was sure it was a AMD driver problem because DX11 games were acting up on R9 390 but playing BF4 on Mantle had the same effect.

So I can play say Dota 2 or Starcraft 2 or Dawn of War or anything older then 3 years ago really without a problem. But the games above that really tax your system seem to make it freeze.

They're totally random and the only thing that common is that I'm playing intensive games where both the GPU and CPU are taxed.

The problem becomes more apparent when I have things running in the background. I was watching this BBC documentary and Xcom 2 was running in the background alt-tabed. When I have nothing except a game open it does take quite a while longer to freeze but it eventually does. Sometimes it takes hours... sometimes 30 minutes. It seems totally random.

Heres the even viewer.
dd1d015055.png

An interesting thing is I can't press the restart button on the case. It does nothing. I have to hold down the Power button to force a shutdown and then turn it on again. Since I have an SSD this isn't really too much of a problem, but it's a real hassle in Multiplayer games such as BF4 or games like Xcom where you can't save in Ironman at every turn.

Now I've seen that Skylake has quite some problems and a lot of main board manufactures are patching BIOS. I have updated my motherboards BIOS every time but so far there been like 2 months with no updates from ASUS and my problems persists. Everything is up to date from drivers and so on...

Any ideas? I'm currently running Prime95 as per instructions here http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...-cpu-heres-how-to-check-if-your-pc-has-it.htm

A while back I did both burn in test on the GPU and the CPU and there was literally no problems for like an hour or so... then I got bored of it. Temps were stable.

I have no clue whats happening... I owned PCs since 1995 and I never had a problem as undetectable as this one...

Last edited:
First off...welcome!

Second...please use the site to post pictures (4th icon from the right).

One thing that you did not put for your system spec is the power supply. What is the wattage and manufacturer of your power supply?

A power supply that is not large enough could cause your issues.

Good day and thank you!
Sure I'll edit it so it's all pictures and not links.

Cooler Master GM-Series G750M 750 Watt

This would be the PSU I'm using, I at least think it should be sufficient enough.

Currently an 75 minutes into the Prime95 Stress and CPU temps steady at 67 no problems...

If you need any more picture data anything I'd be more then willing to provide it all. Because I'm literally at the end of my wits.

EDIT: Also note that I'm using a dual monitor setup one monitor is using DVI the 16:9 left one and the 21:9 right one is using DP.

Now someone on the saphire forums said of thats gotta be the DP cable I'm sure of it. So I ordered one and replaced it.

Honestly I tried both HDMI DVI or DP and there seems to be no issue with the cables.

Last edited:
Regarding your reset button... is it plugged in right on the motherboard header? Try flipping the connector around on the header.

Regarding the shutdowns, cpu is good stressing it seems, now try (stop the cpu stress tes) using unigine heaven or unigine valley with the gpu and loop that for a while.. if it works, do both cpu and gpu stress at the same time. If it borks then, it's likely a wonky psu. Coolermaster wasn't know for great psus.

Also, I didn't see, or missed, did you try newer or older drivers? Use ddu to uninstall and reinstall?

Regarding your reset button... is it plugged in right on the motherboard header? Try flipping the connector around on the header.

Regarding the shutdowns, cpu is good stressing it seems, now try (stop the cpu stress tes) using unigine heaven or unigine valley with the gpu and loop that for a while.. if it works, do both cpu and gpu stress at the same time. If it borks then, it's likely a wonky psu. Coolermaster wasn't know for great psus.

Also, I didn't see, or missed, did you try newer or older drivers? Use ddu to uninstall and reinstall?

Yeah it works normally for example if I pressed it right now it would normally restart. It works even if say another type of crash happens and they did. Just this exact type with the buzzing sound is the case where it won't work.

So you mean running both Prime95 and unigine?

Yes i became so obsessed with every AMD update that I DDUed every single driver update.

I did it today just a few hours ago before I started playing Xcom 2 and BAM it happened again...

Last edited:
Ok, so the button works, just not when it's a hard freeze like this. That happens.

Yes, I mean run unigine heaven or valley alone first.... if that works for a while, then run both p95 and a unigive bench at the same time.

Downloading Haven and Valley will run them asap. I'm now 110 minutes into Prime95 and nothing...

Thanks again for all the support!

^^^ Agree.

With what ED has recommended, you'll be able to isolate the problem:

1. Prime95 first...loads CPU only, if OK, then CPU stuff is probably good
2. Heaven...loads GPU only, if OK, the GPU stuff is probably good
3. Both together...loads both, if not OK, probably the power supply

sounds like video drivers crashing or failed cpu overclock but you cpu seems to be at stock speeds(this exact thing always happens to me with failed cpu overclock). did you recently upgrade video card when the issues started?

sounds like video drivers crashing or failed cpu overclock but you cpu seems to be at stock speeds(this exact thing always happens to me with failed cpu overclock). did you recently upgrade video card when the issues started?

Nope I didn't even try to OCit. I've been on a OCed Core 2 Duo E6700 for years. I finally switched to i7 6700k with a R9 390 in like late August. My problem is if the GPU or the PSU are faulty or anything really is I got(ordered) the PC from Germany and I'm in Croatia. So I'll have some big shipping fees if I send it for warranty. Then again I did save a lot while buying it there. So I guess I'm pretty much balanced out or something... Anyways...

I had the problem pretty much from day one really. But after the initial month or so of WHOA NEW GAMES GTA 5/BF4/Witcher 3 and so on... I went back to doing standard stuff and Dota 2 so I didn't really crash much. But now Xcom 2 came out and I really want to play it. And same problem as back when I got it.

I pretty much went through all the R9 390 drivers that were available. Some games did have issues with DX11 but they fixed that mostly.

Currently running Haven on my second monitor while I'm typing this. How long should I run it for?

10-20 minutes should be enough. Are you still running P95

An hour or two? How long doesit take your games to crash? At least until that point...

It's so random... I have no idea I'll let it run for a few hours then. It's been 20~30 minutes already. All temps stable GPU at 75 CPU at around average 50 going 45-55

10-20 minutes should be enough. Are you still running P95

After 2 hours I quit.

Yeah if its random, at this point, run them both and see if it happens after a few hours.

Your os may have also become corrupted. Open a command prompt as admin, and paste the following text Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Post the results after run that command.

Your os may have also become corrupted. Open a command prompt as admin, and paste the following text Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Post the results after run that command.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

EDIT: Haven run 1 hour without any problems. Starting Prime 95 for max power consumption.

d10358e423.jpg

It's all cookin. Also forgot to mention I got an EVO 212 on my Skylake.

Last edited:
Back