• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Full cover vs Universal block for GPU......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Quick question here guys for those more experienced than I with this stuff which is basically everyone lol. I have a GPU that I am VERY happy with it's performance, but there is no full cover block available. I could go universal block and get heat sinks for the VRM, but I am a bit skeptical on how this will effectively cool the VRM vs the stock cooler and it's setup.

Do the stick on heat sinks do an effective job? I am hesitant because this can obviously affect how far I can push the OC on the memory correct?

We all know the silicon lottery and I think I did good with this GPU and fear selling it off for the older version that has a full cover block available and not getting as good of a GPU.

Thanks for your time :thup:

The stick on Heat sinks work well but you must clean the ram VERY VERY good if not they fall off and the tape loses its stickiness if there is any dust where it fell . I normally buy extra tape for when this happens . Or you can use something like arctic silver adhesive for a more permanent solution .

The stick on Heat sinks work well but you must clean the ram VERY VERY good if not they fall off and the tape loses its stickiness if there is any dust where it fell . I normally buy extra tape for when this happens . Or you can use something like arctic silver adhesive for a more permanent solution .

Do the stick on heat sinks require more active cooling, as in a fan pointed directly to them?

Last edited:
If they are on the VRMs, I would have a fan pointed at it, yep. If its only memory, then I wouldn't worry about it.

The real problem with the thermal tape and sticking isn't so much the dust (it is a part of it), but the oils the stock thermal pads leave doesn't allow them to stick very well.

The more airflow they have the better they will do, but I'd say as long as air is moving across them in some fashion they are likely fine. Granted I haven't done anything of that sort for several generations of GPUs and they ran much hotter then as well.

edit: +1 to what ED said about the VRMs. I was thinking about memory rather than VRMs.

The decisions are never simple huh lol.....

Thanks for the info guys much to ponder here........

When I put an aftermarket air cooler on a card, I used AS adhesive to mount the memory sinks.
What video card do you have?

Well right now an EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ that has been a great performer but I just listed it as I grabbed a 980 for my build that will be going under water. Couldn't pass on the price. And it has a full cover block available.

IMO if your going water on a GPU find a card that has full cover support. Universal is cool and all but you cant crank it as hard as you would be able to with full cover.

Sekisui tape FTW! Use Artic Clean two part cleaner to get rid of the gunk on the VRMs. Some had problems in the past with the heatsinks falling off. This stuff really works to clean off the silicon oils left behind by the thermal pads.

Sekisui tape can be bought on ebay. You only need a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEKISUI-576...Tape-for-Heatsink-100mm-X-200mm-/171112683534

And explore all options for the biggest heatsinks that will fit you can buy. Newark, Digikey, Mouser are three places that come to mind..... 80mm fan with a cardboard shroud. Good to go!

IMO if your going water on a GPU find a card that has full cover support. Universal is cool and all but you cant crank it as hard as you would be able to with full cover.

That's what I decided on. I snatched up ATM's 980, and put my 970 up for grabs. :thup:

Back