• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Driver question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stargate476

Registered
Sorry if this has been posted before but i couldn't find it, I am upgrading my gpu and finally decided to stick with amd and get a R9 390, currently got a 7870, question is should i uninstall my amd drivers before putting in my new card or will it work fine with the current driverS?

The driver package that AMD gives is a whole slew of different drivers. The package contains all the drivers for all the cards that AMD thinks need to use those drivers. You have drivers for your specific card on your system. You may be fine just swapping cards, but I would uninstall the old and re-install with the new. Just my .02

thanks, yea probably better to just avoid problems i suppose and start clean. thanks for your input :)

I highly recommend removing the AMD driver and cleaning it with DDU or AMD Clean Uninstall Utility in safemode.
If something goes wrong when swapping the cards it could be tricky to fix depending on which windows version you use and how advanced skill you have manipulating windows services.

Agreed with the other two, do the uninstall, use DDU to remove the leftovers, and do a clean install of the AMD drivers.

Yeah I had a problem when I swapped my 290 for a 390 and I was still using the last Catalyst Drivers. I had to uninstall the Catalyst drivers, use DDU, reboot and reinstall the (ugh) Crimson Drivers. I did the minimal install and unchecked that "game evolve" crap.

Use just MSI Afterburner to overclock your 390.

Back