• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Critique on this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Would like some feedback on this build whether positive or negative, doesn't matter. My indecisiveness here is the GPU, not sure if an upgrade to a 980/980Ti is worth it at this point since this 970 FTW+ performs and clocks so well. My monitor is a Dell 1440P 27" 60HZ still in the box as the man cave/office gets finished. Also love the Fractal Define R5 case, but seen some reviews where users stated issues mounting a rad up front....? So have been eyeballing the Phanteks Evolv ATX case as well?

And then the PSU, I know it's overkill for a single GPU solution but want to leave myself open for SLI in the future if the next gen cards are not necessarily worth it and good deals can be found from those that do decide to upgrade......

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=kj9gXL

Thanks
:thup:

Last edited:
There are 3 builds in that link I believe, which one are you talking about...or just link the one directly. :)

Edit: ok, I see... I think the other two were built already so this is the x99 build...

I mean, the choice is your if you want to put out more cash. A 970 can catch a 980, but neither will catch a 980ti. The performance gap there is large. I love my 980ti at 1440p...

My apologies I am referencing the X99 build that pops up on the screen I changed the link sorry for the confusion :thup:

I responded to the first link after I realized what was what. :)

Your updated link does not go to a build for me... just to where you add parts...

I responded to the first link after I realized what was what. :)

Your updated link does not go to a build for me... just to where you add parts...

Damn lol are you logged in maybe that's why? Asking you for a new build? So excuse my ignorance then but then how do I post a direct link just to the one build I do not want to erase the other two? :shrug:

Changed it back to the initial link for the time being

I do have one question , why the 2 ssd's and 1k PSU is way more than you need

I don't use pcpp. So definitely not logged in. I believe after you build it and save it gives you link.. sorry, no idea...

Anyhoo, lol, the build!

Sabertooth is a solid board. A bit pricey and the armor is love it or hate it. I wouldn't bench with it (it's fine on ambient), but everything else it's good.

Check out a few 980ti reviews, we have a couple on the front page. I think most have a 970 in there too. I'd link but I'm mobile on the couch with the kiddos. :)

I do have one question , why the 2 ssd's and 1k PSU is way more than you need

The two SDD's because they're on hand, so not needed but just ficured one for the boot frive and the other for the games and programs used the most to load quickly.

The PSU is overkill, that's what I was asking about, I want to leave myself open for SLI.... I have a 650 G2 on hand but not sure if that's enough?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't use pcpp. So definitely not logged in. I believe after you build it and save it gives you link.. sorry, no idea...

Anyhoo, lol, the build!

Sabertooth is a solid board. A bit pricey and the armor is love it or hate it. I wouldn't bench with it (it's fine on ambient), but everything else it's good.

Check out a few 980ti reviews, we have a couple on the front page. I think most have a 970 in there too. I'd link but I'm mobile on the couch with the kiddos. :)

I will read though thanks and no swaet on the kiddos I understand that 100%, today is Friday and mine go to grandma's house :)

Even with 2 970s unless you're really going to beat on the 1K is alot. I ran two 580s and an FX on a 750 without any issues. Just my 2c. Now if you do have plans of benching in the future then yes yo might want more power

Even with 2 970s unless you're really going to beat on the 1K is alot. I ran two 580s and an FX on a 750 without any issues. Just my 2c. Now if you do have plans of benching in the future then yes yo might want more power

Yeah I was eyeballing the 850 G2 but figured "just in case" for the price difference why not the 1000W.....

What's your take on the SSD's? Drives is all new to me and I have not added one in yet but would love the option of the M.2 I just wouldn't put the cover back on that the saber kitty comes with as I have read the Samsung's get so hot to the point folks are putting heatsinks on them....

if you have ssd's, don't bother with m2's, ssd's are just so nice any way.
I use an 850G2 to power my 980ti's in sli in my game rig, just not an issue at all.
a single 980ti is all you will really need unless you are going 3K or 4K, for my use a single is plenty and the pair is way, big overkill, but I like it deadedy, dead, dead, dead.

if you have ssd's, don't bother with m2's, ssd's are just so nice any way.
I use an 850G2 to power my 980ti's in sli in my game rig, just not an issue at all.
a single 980ti is all you will really need unless you are going 3K or 4K, for my use a single is plenty and the pair is way, big overkill, but I like it deadedy, dead, dead, dead.

Thanks brother I'll go with the 850 then and save some $$

I would like 4K later on but feel it is still too early so my thinking is to just add more 1440P screens as time passes for now :)

Ok guys thanks for the input. I grabbed ATM's 980 was a no brainer upgrade for the price and ordered an EVGA 850 G2 :thup:

Back