• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To cf or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnceSaved

Ok so I'm building a new computer for me and initially planned on swapping my 970 over over to the new rig and getting an r9 380 for the old rig which would go to the wife. Well I was browsing Craigslist and came across a guy selling a 280x and 7970 that he ran in crossfire. The price is almost too good to be true at $200. Performance wise the cf setup would mop the floor with the 970 but the power consumption and heat is over double.

Any input is welcome

At 1080p, I wouldn't do it. Its not worth the hassle for double the power use and heat output. Go single card.

Well I'll be running anow 850w psu in the new rig so power wasn't an issue and water cooling the cpu and later the gpu(s) so heat as well wasn't an issue. But I picked up a brand new gigabyte r9 380 super over clocked g1 gamong windforce (that's a mouth full) card to go into the old rig. I actually swapped it in this morning and started tweaking the oc before heading to work

I wouldn't watercool such 'old' cards personally. Your card is a rebrand that came out in 2014 (r9 285 - but its family has been out since 2012).

Do you own the 4GB version at least?

Yes 4gb version and no this card isn't getting water cooled, it's going in the old rig on an aio cpu cooler

Oops... yeah.. I really wouldn't do that with a 7970/280x.....to old IMO... not worth the cost to do that

At 1080p, I wouldn't do it. Its not worth the hassle for double the power use and heat output. Go single card.

Agree with ED. Multi-card GPU is not worth doing at 1080. Also, Don't think He meant your power supply but more of the the amount of power it will be drawing from the wall (i.e. The cost on your power bill).

Yolo haha our bill ranges like $20 a month anyways so I wouldn't have noticed. But I was also looking at going into 1440p at that point. And may still go that route with the 970

1440p is still single card territory. A 970 or 290x will handle most titles on ultra. A 980Ti pounds through it (what I use at 1440p).

Its just not worth the hassle for multi-gpu at those resolutions, but specifically 1080p. When you go 1440 and what you have is not enough, look at another card.

Back