• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG X99 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's got to be one of the sexiest boards around. But in the build side of this, from the looks of it you got a nice setup going here.

Thanks guys I did a lot of research on the motherboard and it performs as good or better in some benchmarks than the Rampage but cost a lot less. Also more affordable than the WS boards but brings the same type of quality and comes with a 5 year warranty. I can't say enough how much this mother board has impressed me so far. And I like the feature set very much. Most of the minor complaints I don't get but hey we're all different. The GPU and the PSU should be here today and I can wrap this up and hook it up to the Dell and see 1440p for the first time lol.

Up and running, just getting setup on the soft ware side now. Already did clean install of win 10. CPU running at 29 degrees so far while doing BS setup stuff. And the PC is Quiet even with both side panels off.

:thup:

So I'm stable on the GPU on air at 1530/3881 without adding any voltage yet. :thup:

On the CPU side of things right out of the gate I try 4.5 @ 1.3V and it's holding up in Aida64, do I try undervoilting now or cranking the frequency....?

That's your choice...assuming temperatures are OK (where are you at?). What are you trying to do with this clockspeed?

The goal of a 24/7 overclock is to pick a clockspeed and be stable at the lowest voltage possible. For that CPU, keep temps under 90C when stress testing and voltage at 1.4V or below.

If it was me, I would leave it right there for 24/7 and just lower the voltage. Then when you want to bench, start pushing on up.

That's your choice...assuming temperatures are OK (where are you at?). What are you trying to do with this clockspeed?

The goal of a 24/7 overclock is to pick a clockspeed and be stable at the lowest voltage possible. For that CPU, keep temps under 90C when stress testing and voltage at 1.4V or below.

If it was me, I would leave it right there for 24/7 and just lower the voltage. Then when you want to bench, start pushing on up.

That's exactly what I am thinking. Testing with aida64 temps never got higher than 78 for two hours. I read prime95 was not kind to these CPU's..... and I still haven't messed with the memory OC/XMP profiles, but my RAM is rated at 3000mhz.

I'm going to turn down the OC on the GPU some for day to day, started some light gaming and after a while was getting very light artifact. No biggie, has been lots of fun pushing this GPU so far, very surprised and the system has been quiet as well and still have had both panels off. It's powered down now, need to go get a desk and set that up hopefully tomorrow. Will wrap up the wire management soon, but I got enough setup done for now so it's an easy transition once I power it up on the desk.

My headphones came yesterday, and the DAC should be here today. Just need to order some speakers but have no clue there.........

Can't wait to see this Dell 1440P monitor and play some games on it.

Oh and compared to the 860K, this 5820K is just a MONSTER of a CPU lol. The cinnebench scores were funny to see, also the comparison of the best FS score on the 860k vs this new X99 setup stock lol......At my current OC's the last FS run was almost double that of the best run I had with the 860K/970 FTW+

To better answer your question right now I was just seeing how much trouble this CPU would cause me if any to get stable at 4.5 because I bought this as a 4.5 binned CPU. Going forward of course I still want to see if I can get more out of it just for kicks, and to help push my GPU. But obviously have no reason to run my CPU at 4.6+ 24/7 that's pointless for me. I want to see how low I can take it on Volts for 4.5 and leave there for 24/7 use since the temps have looked ok thus far. But if going a little lower works better for longevity reasons I am not against that either. I can have my fun when I do my little OC sitdowns

Edit: I will get some screen shots up soon, I just updated the BIOS and this has changed things lol..... looks like I need to tweak the OC a little....

Preliminary shot on the desk. Need to do a lot of cable management still lol. Just glad to have my man cave operational at least :thup: Need to run out and get an optical cable for my DAC so I can have sound through my DT 770 PRO's

IMG-20160213-WA0024_zpsq978si47.jpg

Ran to best buy earlier for the optical cable, these head phones sound GREAT! Glad I listened to my buddy on these and the DAC, couldn't be happier with my tunes again :) And good quality tunes while playing an FPS :thup:

Back