• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer wont wake up from sleep mode properly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I installed a Samsung EVO 850 and ever since then my computer will not wake from sleep. When I press a key the computer fans turn and everything starts up, but I get no video output from my video card. I do a hard reset and presto, works fine.

Do you have the latest bios installed?

Personally, I always disable sleep mode because it is notoriously problematic. I set the power options to High Performance and leave my computers on 24/7 but restart them about 1x weekly to clear memory leaks. They are happier that way.

This could also be a Windows update issue where one of Microsoft's recent updates broke something in Windows.

It could also be a firmware problem with the Samsung Evo. Check to see if they have a firmware issue for that drive.

I installed a Samsung EVO 850 and ever since then my computer will not wake from sleep. When I press a key the computer fans turn and everything starts up, but I get no video output from my video card. I do a hard reset and presto, works fine.

Do you have the latest bios installed?

Personally, I always disable sleep mode because it is notoriously problematic. I set the power options to High Performance and leave my computers on 24/7 but restart them about 1x weekly to clear memory leaks. They are happier that way.

This could also be a Windows update issue where one of Microsoft's recent updates broke something in Windows.

It could also be a firmware problem with the Samsung Evo. Check to see if they have a firmware issue for that drive.

^^^^^^ This from Trents.

I have never had any success with hibernate or sleep, always "buggy," so I just use the power option just like
Trents suggests to shut down the monitor and drives say after 20 - 30 mins and leave the computers on 24 / 7.
You're playing with corruption with too many hard resets. We have the same Samsung EVO SSD with the latest
firmware and it loves the "Power Down" options.

Good point RT about the monitor going to sleep when the power options are set to High Performance. The monitor still blanks after 15 minutes of inactivity (the default time) but the computer stays wide awake.

My sleep mode works great that is all I use. I would check your BIOS to see if it's the newest one?

Yes, the BIOS of the mobo and firmware of the drive are up to date. I dont want to leave my computer on 24/7 as it's a total waste of (rather expensive) electricity.

Okay, if you don't mind reinstalling your OS and all your software every now and then, leave it like it is and just force it to power off when it hangs up.

That rig probably only takes ~30 seconds or so to boot up, right? Why not just shut it down when it's not being used?

I use sleep everywhere and it works perfectly fine with my ssds. I'm wondering it is a power issue and or if something is just funky in your bios that is going into a deeper sleep than normal?

Have you googled around for 950 pro sleep issue at all (I'm mobile and busy today so I won't have a shot until much later to do so)

Sometimes it can be a PSU issue, can you try a different PSU? Also a PC at idle only uses about 66.7 watts so it's about $5.57 per year.

I believe Haswell prompted the sleep and PSU issue (PSUs would trigger undervoltage protection in some PSUs because Haswell's power draw was so low while asleep). He has Ivybridge so it shouldn't be an issue.

Also a PC at idle only uses about 66.7 watts so it's about $5.57 per year.
This can vary pretty dramatically. YOURS idles there and costs that much... but everyone idles different with different platforms and moreover, the price of electricity varies pretty dramatically. Your point is that it is still not much, and I agree with that.

I don't use sleep anymore either with an SSD. I barely have time to adjust my arse in the chair before I have booted to a fully functional desktop.

Isn't there also a issue for not enough supply voltage to sustain sleep mode on any generation?..............LOL my family is so use to sleep mode having what you are doing on screen already on boot up, also we have gotten so lazy to press the button on the PC.

Back