• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth an upgrade or build new?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demighost

Sup all, I've been gaming a bit more on the pc lately with friends, my pc build is old and starting to show its age, I am struggle to run games smoothly at around medium settings.
My current pc is in my sig, I was thinking my cpu is probably the biggest bottleneck currently . Was thinking of upgrade to a 8core fx and swapping out to a higher amount of ram at a faster speed. and then obviously a video card, and new psu to be safe.

I am not on the up and up currently. Where should I start on my setup?

edit- just realized my sig is old.

I run a hd6950 2gb at the moment, and have the cpu on a corsair water cooled loop.

That board is notorious for having problems with the 8core FXs. The less than awesome VRM section throttles the chip pretty bad, if I recall correctly. So, if you're swapping chips, you'll need to swap boards too. At that rate, you'd be better off going Intel.

So at that point I would be looking at basically a new pc. I do want to utilize as much I can from what I have now to limit cost. Im not familiar with intel as much what would be a good starting point? and i5 variant I assume?

Intel I5 would be fine, the only issue is if you want to utilize the DDR3 ram you have you'll have to go with a I5 4690k Z97 setup. The newest Intel platform is using DDR4 ram. If you can make a trip to the Microcenter in Westbury NY it would be worth your while you can get a walk in deal for a i5/Z97 board around $300.00.

I would go the route Mandrake suggested if it's an option. How old is the PSU, and what model is it? If it's quality and 2 years old or less, I would dare say it's safe to use in the new build. Everything else should transfer over fine.

yea, I would like to stay as cost effective as possible. I'm not looking for ultra settings, stable framerate is the focus. I love microcenter and will definately check it out. What should I look for in a z97 setup

Just the features you need. Asrock Extreme series boards are all pretty solid, and I believe the Ext.4 and up have the ALC1150 audio CODEC (though it may be limited to the 6 and up). I did a build for a friend a month or so after I built my rig with an Extreme3 in it, and he has had absolutely no issues with it.

This is all assuming you have a case that supports full ATX form factor boards, which I'm assuming is the case given the M5A97.

yea, I would like to stay as cost effective as possible. I'm not looking for ultra settings, stable framerate is the focus. I love microcenter and will definately check it out. What should I look for in a z97 setup
As long as the board has the features you want almost any Z97 board will fit the bill for a i5 4690 k setup

My only issue with it is it's a refurb, you can get the Asrock anniversary addition for the same price and it's new.

That is the "H" series and you cannot overclock on it. If he isn't overclocking, that is a good choice.

There is also DDR3L for the Z170 boards...

I don't see a point in going to a new platform with old ram. While there are few performances differences, it just doesn't makes sense (to me).

Thanks for the info, just got back from a vacation so I'll start shopping around. Microcenter will most likely be used for the mobo/cpu portion. I will stick with the previous gen i5. I doubt ddr4 will add much for my application. I believe my psu was an ocz, but with the new power requirement on everything I will be buying a new one also. Now a gpu is the fun part. Ive read alot about the new r390/380 offerings, these cards have 8gbs of vram? Would I be better off with the prior 290 series with less ram?

Back