• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming not posting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bayflats

Registered
Hi all,

I recently bought an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming to compliment my new build. Pertinent build below:
i7-6700k, Crucial Ballistix 2400 Ram (16gb on 16,16,16,39 - not on the official Ram QVL but very very similar kit is on the QVL), Samsung 950 Pro M2, Corsair RM1000i
For reference my ram kits are BLS8GAD240FSA.16FADG - there is a BLS8GAD240FSA.16FAD on a 16.16.16.40 timing.
Have not connected the GPU - just running the monitor off the CPU, and have not connected any other peripherals other than mouse and keyboard.

When I power up the fans come on and the DRAM light comes on and then nothing. No POST, no beeps (speaker is connected). Have tried putting in both sticks individually in all DIMMs - same result. This board does have a lot of negative comments regarding exactly this issue. The potential solutions range from updating BIOS via USB to changing certain items in the BIOS itself. But if I cant post can I do any of those? If so - how?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132567
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GAMING/Z170PG_DRAM_QVL_20150803.pdf

Thanks.

Wouldn't that help only if there was a potential of a short occurring with the board in which case why would it always stop at the same point (ie. the RAM check)?

Its easy enough to test though - will do so tonight. Thanks

I'm having the same issue! I have slightly different parts, but still Skylake. I'm going to have a buddy of mine look at it tomorrow. I will keep you updated if I find anything out.

i have very similar specs to you and had a similar problem, with one board i couldn't even get the q-codes to show, that ended up being my fault, because of bent pins in the socket.

bought another board "Asus Maximus hero" to try while my other hopefully gets fixed
put the comp back together and went to boot and same as above, but this time i had q-codes. it was getting stuck on error code 04, and that's as far as it would go.
i tried everything, and in the end thought i would try try another CPU as the last resort, bought another 6700k put it in and away it went. so mine was a problem with the CPU.

have you tried taking your CPU out and checking your socket for damage ? re-seating the CPU ?

Update:
My first two slots on my motherboard was bad. Was able to post with the 3rd and 4th Slots.

Hi Guys,

Have rebuilt the board out of the case - still exact same issues.
Have checked and re-seated the CPU - same probs.

Misplaced my USB drive so will get another one and try flashing the BIOS to see if that brings any joy.

Update : also tried moving all sticks of RAM individually through all the 4 DIMMs - no luck. For fun started the PC with no RAM and I got the beeps - one long followed by two short ones. The ASUS website says this means that no RAM was detected. So this confirms two things:
1. The speaker works!
2. The DIMMs work in that they recognize that RAM is in place in at least one of the DIMMs

That should mean that the RAM is not compatible / corrupt (??) I guess?

Last edited:
Any bent pins in the socket?
Definitely need to try the BIOS.

Process of elimination. You did everything and still no joy. That board is buggered. Time for RMA/Replacement. Try a different branded board.

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a chat with a computer repair shop here and they said that the issue might be that the video chipset within the Skylake CPU might be partially damaged and that it could be resolved by running a heat gun over the CPU.

To remind everyone of the issue : at power-up the fans start turning at regular speed but almost immediately start spinning at a much slower rate - but continue spinning. This is most noticeable on the CPU fan. The DRAM light comes on and there are no POSTs or beeps.

A lot of might and maybes so I wanted to just get your feedback on it. I certainly dont want them damaging my 6700k just to evaluate a $150 motherboard.

Is this technique safe and has anyone heard of this method working?

Thanks

I have never heard of that being a solution to ANY issue...
Could work, but I wouldn't risk it. I'd go get another board and test.

Did you flash the BIOS like you said you were going to?
Did you build outside the case like you said you were going to?

I would not run a heat gun over the CPU, I would try a different brand of motherboard. Have you tried reseating the memory?

Last edited:
Confirm socket is not damaged

Flash to latest and greatest, could simply be a compatibility issue. What BIOS are you on ?

Attachments

• Z170-PRO-GAMING-ASUS-1105.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 76
Thanks for the answers.

ATMINSIDE : yes built outside the case and flashed BIOS - neither solution worked.
Wingman99 : tried single sticks in all 4 DIMMs individually - no luck.
Witchdoctor : OK so here is the thing - there are no pins either on the MB or the CPU. Its all just flat contact pads. Nothing is sticking out. I read on some website that thats how the new Skylakes are. Is that true? The BIOS I am trying to flash to is 1105 from the website - the same one you have attached. I have extracted the file onto the USB and have that plugged in as I power up. Is that the right process?

Thanks

the bios file will probably have to be renamed to use the flashback feature ?
IE: for my Asus hero board i have to rename the BIOS file to M8H.CAP then copy to FAT32 formatted USB stick.

Check your manual that came with your mobo it will say what you need to rename the firmware update to ?

Thanks for the tip KharmaKazi. Renamed the file as per the manual. Still no luck.
Thing is as its not even posting I dont think the system is even getting to the point where it is recognising ANY drives so having a USB in there seems to be pointless.

Unfortunately I live on an island where there are only 2 computer shops and neither of them carry any DDR4 or Z170 parts so I cant test out any theories like swapping out the mobo. They are still selling DDR2 and 3 sticks. So returning the board is pretty pointless - the shipping alone would be significant. So that means having a (somewhat pointy) paperweight lying around. Perhaps I can use it to swat the flies.

Thanks

Man that bites, call tech and see what they can do for you

Sounding more and more like a board issue

The only way I can think to flash that BIOS is with the ASUS Crash free look in your manual it'll explain but it's supposed to run from the disc "IF" the BIOS is corrupt. This board doesn't appear to have the flashback port/feature

Hi All - as a delayed update to the matter.

Bought another board (Asus Maximus 8 Hero) and it booted up eventually. I had to buy another Asus as it was the only Skylake board on the island. Anyway so what actually happened was that the board booted till I got a Q Code 41 which was some random OC error - pretty bizarre on a new CPU / DRAM. So once I read the manual it said press MemOK to test the DRAM. I did and it worked by taking me into the BIOS! However it didnt save the settings. I was tinkering for a little bit then thought screw it and updated the BIOS which resolved the issue anyway.

So finally having bought the PC back at the end of Nov I can finally boot up a Skylake system! Ah, the joys of living on an island....

However I have just across another set of problems for which I will create a new thread!

Thanks for all your help guys.

Back