• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6GB HDD not allowing me to allocate remaining disk space, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

I have a 6GB HDD and Computer Management and EaseUS Partition is not allowing me to allocate the remaining disk space. I had read somewhere it might be because of the MBR and GBT systems, but I am not sure how to check this and resolve whatever problem there might be without my data being lost. Is someone familiar with this and can you assist me in fixing this?

O/S Win 7 64.

Attached are disk part and reagentc/info information. 2016-02-07_111110.jpg 2016-02-07_110613.jpg

Any assistance would be appreciated as I still have 3.5GB on this drive.

You need to change the drive to GPT. See how there is nothing in the GPT column?

Back up the data

So it seems you are advising to move the data to a new drive and then just reformat and repartition this drive? As I already have 2.5GB of data on it and not have another drive to move the data to, this is a bit difficult to do, it seems there is a way to change the drive type without losing data...

There are a number of ways to do so, however, backing up data is always recommended, as any one of the methods or programs used to do so, can fail in the process and you end up losing all data.

So yes, backup the data.

Last edited:
Trust me, back the data up. Even if there are ways to make the change without destroying data there's always the risk that you'll take a wrong step in the process.

So it seems you are advising to move the data to a new drive and then just reformat and repartition this drive? As I already have 2.5GB of data on it and not have another drive to move the data to, this is a bit difficult to do, it seems there is a way to change the drive type without losing data...

Goto the Dollar store and get a usb drive

Yes I should have written TB not GB, my mistake.

After my last post I fixed the problem and did not come back to the forums until now... I have already solved the problem. For those having the same issue, I wouldn't recommend doing what I did, although I had no issues. I did not backup, I just did it. I used EaseUS Partition master to fix the problem. No issues after using it.

Good to hear that you solved the problem w/out losing your data.

I was just going to add that regardless of disk partitioning or any other operations you need (or do not need) to perform, if the information is important, you do need to back it up. If it is really important, you need to back it up off site too. Best option for a local backup IMO is a second drive. For offsite, consider cloud storage.

Good to hear that you solved the problem w/out losing your data.

I was just going to add that regardless of disk partitioning or any other operations you need (or do not need) to perform, if the information is important, you do need to back it up. If it is really important, you need to back it up off site too. Best option for a local backup IMO is a second drive. For offsite, consider cloud storage.

Yes, I totally agree with that.. As most of the files were video downloads I wasn't overly concerned and was not about to go buy another 6TB harddrive which costs more then $200 to do a backup on for this purpose.. In the future I need to remember to do the partitioning correctly at the very beginning. Thanks for your help.

Back