• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very staticy sound on PC/ opting for desktop amp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GilbertC06

So I've had Bose Companions for my desktop for years. I'm guessing the audio cable had very good shielding against static, because the moment I switched to another speaker and had to use a run of the mill aux cable there has been very noticeable static. Don't really feel like shelling out money for premium shielded cables and would rather have something I can use so I was wondering if a desktop amp would do the trick. Any suggestions?

Edit

Found the culprit. I had a PS3 connected to the same speaker via AUX splitter. So the PC and the PS3 were connected to the same Aux input. If I unplug the PS3 audio, there is no static at all and the sound even improves.

That leads me to a whole different problem. I have my desktop, PS3 and PS4 all hooked up nicely on my monitor(s). That being said I am trying to connect them to the same set of speakers. The PS4 is currently hooked up via OPT and the Desktop is hooked up via Aux. Trying to figure out the most optimum setup but I am running into problems as you can see. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a KVM to switch audio and video inputs to your monitors cleanly instead of just using splitters.

A small receiver would work well, but it look like you've found a nice option :)

I have a surround sound setup for my pc...and use the switch in the receiver to control the audio. Do you have more than 1 HDMI input!

I have a surround sound setup for my pc...and use the switch in the receiver to control the audio. Do you have more than 1 HDMI input!

It has one hdmi input and one hdmi output. Still don't have a full understanding of HDMI audio yet. The optical switch seems to be the easiest and cheapest solution. Unless you can make the argument that HDMI audio is better quality, not sure if it's even worth it.

A small receiver would work well, but it look like you've found a nice option :)

The Opt switch may be a temporary solution. I would definitely like really good audio, and sort of plugin for my headphones and other equipment on top of my desk rather than all the way behind my pc. Are there any small compact receivers that would be good to just sit on a desk and also accommodate my 2 consoles?

Back