• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[build log] It's 2008

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saturn

Disabled
It's 2008, all the posts time stamps are wrong...

So I made up my mind on most off he parts for my 775 system and thought I'd do a build log. I should start getting the parts tomorrow.

Parts list.

17" crt painted black.
Pc-k62 case.
2x 9800gx2 (upgrading to 295s in 2009)
Ram is MIA.
Cpu is MIA. (q9650 no doubt)
antec TPQ-1200w
150gb was raptor and 500gb blue.
3 green 140mm led fans.
1 green 120mm led fan.
DFI X48 lanparty motherboard.
Model F keyboard.
M$ intellimouse.
Vista 64bit.
Mugen cpu heatsink.

I should get the mobo and one gpu tomorrow. I have some low end ram and a q6600 form my p35 system I'll use to test the board out then sell the ram/cpu for a q9650.
I will be getting some 295s when they're released in q1 of 2009. Might give 7 a try when it's out, but I heard that will be towards the end of next year.

I'm not taking the "it's 2008" thing to far am I?

Last edited:
You have way too much time on your hands.

:D
Not really, I got out of building PC when 775 was in its twilight and I deal with 775 system at work alot.
I like and know more about 775 system them most people do. :thup:

EDIT:
Now it I were to WC the gpu's... That means I have way to much time on my hands, just finding a gx2 water block would be hard enough. Although now that I think of it I'm pretty much free this week. That's odd
Oh wait I have things to paint... :bang head

Last edited:
Should be a lot of fun Saturn. I look forward to seeing your progress. The DFI X48 is a good board from reviews I remember.

I got hold of an old HP with a LGA775 Pentium 4, upgraded to a Pentium D 945 & 4GB DDR2-5300. I had it folding for several months until I was able to get my hands on another HP with an i3-2120 & 8GB of DDR3.

Should be a lot of fun Saturn. I look forward to seeing your progress. The DFI X48 is a good board from reviews I remember.

I got hold of an old HP with a LGA775 Pentium 4, upgraded to a Pentium D 945 & 4GB DDR2-5300. I had it folding for several months until I was able to get my hands on another HP with an i3-2120 & 8GB of DDR3.
Nothing funner then a 775 system. Its new enough to use daily but old enough to blow up parts. And best of all it's fun to oc unlike the crap you see today. Haha setting the cpu voltage to auto an uping the multi is child's play. Uping the fsb and setting the voltage manually wile trying to keep the ram in line and the nb stable, that's real overclocking. And try all that with award Bios.

I replaced the Tim on the motherboard. The fets had Tim on them, looked like dry ac5... I put some high end pads on it. I hate Tim on those small fets. The vrm look a lot like what the abit ix38 and 48 had. I wonder if I can read the temps of the fets like the ix38/48 could.

The board looks to have seen some hard use. One corner is beat to hell and the smaller caps should be replaced. I may replace them all. This was the time when n00bs really got into pc building...
Well I see nothing out of place, it should work fine. I'll bench the heck out of the q6600 I have then sell it for a q9650.

Last edited:
:D
Not really, I got out of building PC when 775 was in its twilight and I deal with 775 system at work alot.
I like and know more about 775 system them most people do. :thup:

EDIT:
Now it I were to WC the gpu's... That means I have way to much time on my hands, just finding a gx2 water block would be hard enough. Although now that I think of it I'm pretty much free this week. That's odd
Oh wait I have things to paint... :bang head

Haha gotcha, thought this was just a "thought project" :D Carry on and have fun :thup:

That is a blast from the past had 2x 295's on an x58 build

That had to be a fun setup.

Anyway I bought a Mugen 4 cooler for the system. A Mugen 2 would have been more period correct but I rather used the newer Mugen 4. I'd like to water cool it, but I'm going to be doing a lot of benching and do not want to deal with a loop when I'm changing Cpu's.

Last edited:
I have an Asus P5QL Pro from 2008, which is like a binned down version of the Maximus II family in a way. (With P43 instead of P45)

It seems to have issues with FSB...

Also from 2008:

E2180 M0, E8400 C0 and a Q6600 G0

From 2007:

E4500 M0 pulled from a Acer Aspire of the same year. (M5630)

I have an Asus P5QL Pro from 2008, which is like a binned down version of the Maximus II family in a way. (With P43 instead of P45)

It seems to have issues with FSB...

Also from 2008:

E2180 M0, E8400 C0 and a Q6600 G0

From 2007:

E4500 M0 pulled from a Acer Aspire of the same year. (M5630)
Are you trying to sell this stuff or something? Or just posting what you own? Please don't derail the thread? It's far to easy to do.

I bought a antec TPQ-1200w psu for the system.
I know 1200w is a bit to much, but if I ever get something like a 295 or something I'll need something in the 1000w range. I know that the TPQ-1200w is not the best psu with the filter caps on the cables and all, but it's more then good. In hindsight I should have gotten a tpq-850w witch is much better, but it would be pushed with a set of 295's or any other power hungry gpu setup with overclocks.

Last edited:
I take cable management very seriously.
View attachment 174897
View attachment 174898

The side window was in horrible shape. The adhesive on the plastic rap cover socked into the acrylic so I'll have to sand and buff it. The panel had rings and bubbles along with some adhesive film that would not even come off with goof off.
I guess that's Nos stuff for you.

Here's what it looks like after 800 grit wet. All the rings, bubbles and old adhesive is gone. Its now clearer then when I started. :fight: I'll take it up to 1500 then 2000 and finish off with 2500 grit if need be. Might use some buffing compound too. Hopefully I will not need to go higher then 2500grit. I may clear coat it afterwords, but I don't know.
View attachment 174899

Last edited:
So the green fans looked like crap. Whelk they were 4$ a pop so whatever.

I put the stock blue ones back in. Unfortunately the gx2 cover the slots and sata ports... I like that glow, I don't want it covered up...

I also took the side panel window to 5000grit and it mostly clear now. You can now see though it.

View attachment 175121
View attachment 175122

Looks like the mobo or ram is bad... Maybe the cpu? Getting a c1 post code and no beeps.
Not having beeps makes me think it's the mobo or cpu

That's a drag, man, hope it turns out to be something simple, have to imagin that LAN Party board is difficult to find,
Had a x38 Rampage formula back in the day, Man that board was a fun board, not the greatest for quads though

Back