• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Silently removes BIOS SKY OC patch for non-K model Skylake CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And whats to stop the DIY bios guys from making bios that dose this themselves?
I do bet intel dose not like this.
But I don't know how it took so long for someone to make a bios mod to OC non K cpu's.

Last edited:
Who knew this was coming???

:soda:

Just about anyone that knows how intel does things.

If intel made ASRock do this and if I we the head of ASRock I be putting my foot down as long as I could. Sure intel and ream ASRock for this but it would give intel alot of bad press for it and it would help with stopping big companies from being bully and patent trolls. If MSI, Biostar, Asus and Gigabyte did the same thing...

But ASRock could have removed it themselves for fear of what intel may do or some sort of technical problem with the mod.

Last edited:
Bit of a silver lining maybe? Folks who have the "good" bios will keep and distribute it. In order to force folks on to the "not good" bios (the one that wont OC the non K versions) they will have to make improvements elsewhere, either in the BIOS or in hardware. ? Right?

Hmmm... I wonder if you can successfully flash back to the old Non-K (SKY) OC BIOS and still have access to bclk for the Non-K chips after running the most recent v2.00 BIOS with the updated micro code?

Really there was only 1 release from ASRock and ASUS so it didn't take them long to block it. Both brands didn't even make BIOS which is performing good after OC. In both cases after enabling AVX etc. performance is really bad after OC. It's still great for competitive benchmarking.

I remember a time when the motherboard manufactures back circa 2000 went against intel and kept the FSB unlocked, with mounting pressure from intel when I had a ABIT IC7

The Z170 OC Formula has the ability to switch between microcode levels... I wonder if on that board you can have your cake and eat it too? Meaning, I have the latest BIOS, but if I want to overclock a locked CPU I just roll the CPU microcode version back in the BIOS.........

Back