• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build (Haswell vs Skylake)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mt_196

Registered
Hi everybody, i need help.
I'm going to update my configuration and I need help with mobo cpu and ram.

The first option was going on i5 Skylake.

Firstly i thought about buying a Skylake i5 6400 and a good mobo (i.e msi gaming m5) and oc it with the new bios. I heard that Intel, and it wa a lil obvious, doesn't like so much this "feature", so my problem is: is it safe to go to a 6400 and download a bios that allows to overclock it from the web? I'm scared that Intel would come out with something to block this thing, like some update that you must download, am I paranoic? :D
If I'm right, I'll switch to an i5 6600K with probably a cheaper mobo (Extreme 4)

The other option would have been going to an hexa core.

I really feel that 6 cores will be used in the future and since I usually buy hardware that are meant to last at least 3-4 years I thought to go on Haswell i7.
The problem is that I use the pc for gaming and films, I do some amatorial video editing, I mean nothing that an i5 would not do, so right now the 5820k is not more powerfull than a 6600k for my usage.
But HT and 6cores probably will make some difference in the future, am I wrong?

These are the two configurations:

Intel i5 6600K vs Intel i7 5820K
MSI z170 Gaming M5 vs ASRock z97 Extreme 4

432€ VS 526€

Regarding rams I'm oriented on DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz CL15 at 96€ and DDR3 Crucial BallistiX 1600Mhz CL8 at 84€
So the i7 would cost 80€ more, and if that 70€ would be a sort of "investment" for having a "nonbottlenecking cpu" for a year or two more, they are welcome

So guys, can sombody clarify my ideas? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Firstly, you are actually talking about 3 different platforms. The 5820K is on the X99 platform, which is also DDR4, and the boards are a lot more expensive than the more budget-minded enthusiast platforms (Z97 and Z170).

Secondly, X99 is really only worth the premium if you will use the extra cores, or the extra PCIe lanes. I don't forsee that as the case here.

My recommendation is the 6600K, but you don't have to spend that much on a board. I"m on my way out the door, or I'd help.

Ah ok sorry, I just looked at the cores and bench, didn't read about the platform that I thought to be z97... I've been out of the market for too long :D

So the 5820K idea has just been send down the toilet ahahah X99 prices are very expensive and I think it's not worth anymore for my usage.

So going back to 6600K what is the problem for you, the mobo is too expensive? I'm seeking good building, capacitors and vrms quality. I really liked to oc, and I wanna do it on my new rig too.
I don't have really hard request, just quality and a non-crap soundboard. Is not a problem if there is not 3 way crossfire or 2 way sli. A type c and type a 3.1 usb connector would be good.

Also I was thinking about doing a small pc and put it on my desk, near the monitor, instead than under the desk. In that case a mATX board will be necessary.
If this does not bother you, can you give me some advice either on ATX and mATX mobo? (In the second option the case will be an Aerocool DS Cube windowed)

I can give you a hand with that when I get home from work, unless someone else has you taken care of before then.

I don't see an issue with going 6600K/Z170/DDR4 over Haswell if the budget can do it. The difference in pricing is really not that much at all between the two and the 6600K performs marginally better, its on the new platform with an upgrade (a minor one, sure) at the end of the year.

There is a slight premium with the DDR4 over DDR3 (+$10) , as well as the CPU (+$10 - 4670K and 6600K @ Newegg.com)...motherboards can be found around the same price, but let's say its +$20. So for around $50 more when you are talking $400+ isn't that much difference for the latest platform with a minor potential upgrade available.

I don't see an issue with going 6600K/Z170/DDR4 over Haswell if the budget can do it. The difference in pricing is really not that much at all between the two and the 6600K performs marginally better, its on the new platform with an upgrade (a minor one, sure) at the end of the year.

There is a slight premium with the DDR4 over DDR3 (+$10) , as well as the CPU (+$10 - 4670K and 6600K @ Newegg.com)...motherboards can be found around the same price, but let's say its +$20. So for around $50 more when you are talking $400+ isn't that much difference for the latest platform with a minor potential upgrade available.

Ok, I got it.
So I'm oriented to Skylake.

i5 6600K and DDR4 Vengeance Ram we could say are choosen, the remaining choice is not the motherboard.

Is a MSI M5 worth the extra money over a Gigabyte Gaming3 or an Asrock Extreme4?
And, just for knowledge, do you know of any good z170 mATX motherboard? I'm asking this because I have also to decide if going mATX with the DS Cube or stay with my case (the choice is purely aesthetical), obviusly if the difference in money is too much I'll just go on ATX.

Id look at this board: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5

or

ASUS Z170M-PLUS LGA

for mATX (they are cheaper than most comparable ATX boards).

I like the ASRock board myself, the Extreme 4 is good, but I would look at the Extreme 6 on sale for more power phases and better OC potential. Not too drastic of a price difference usually. From what I have seen and dealt with personally on a skylake Giga board myself, getting the drivers loaded can be a bit of a pain.........

The gigabyte is 60 euros more expensive than the asus. There big difference between the two? I also heard some complaint about asus. I personally have an asus board with zero problem, but been careful is never too much, isn't it?
I also looked at ASRock Fatal1ty z170 itx, but probably in this case the price is higher due for the itx dimentions.

Not sure as I have not reviewed them. You can compare items in newegg to see the difference in features. As far as overclocking and such, you will be limited by cooling.

The ASUS complaints are about their customer service. So IF you have a return you MAY have a difficult time compared to others. That said, I wouldn't worry about it. EVERY. SINGLE. VENDOR. has customer service horror stories.

Overclocking on ambient the boards will all overclock roughly the same. Its the CPU (silicon lottery) and cooling that really matters. That said, I wouldn't do it on a sub $100 board, but the difference of overclocking between midrange boards is not something i would base a decision off of personally.

For your experience what is better looking at price/features and performance between:

m-atx
Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H 116€
Asus Z170M-PLUS 126€
Asrock Z170M Pro4s 102€

m-itx
MSI Z170I Gaming Pro 150€
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI 134€
Asrock Fatal1ty z170 itx 180€

Agree, ambient overclocking will not require a top tier board, however the OC Formula is competitively priced if you find yourself looking at top tier boards. That being said simply look to a board that has the feature set you will be happy with. more than likely it will clock as well on ambient as any. I was looking at the Fatality mITX for a build I am doing for a client. was settled on the MSI 170 gamer mITX, now the guy I am building it for is asking about the the Asus gaming board as well as he read somewhere Asus was the best ..... lol
I do not dislike Asus , just do not thing they are any better in this class of board is all.

Agree, ambient overclocking will not require a top tier board, however the OC Formula is competitively priced if you find yourself looking at top tier boards. That being said simply look to a board that has the feature set you will be happy with. more than likely it will clock as well on ambient as any. I was looking at the Fatality mITX for a build I am doing for a client. was settled on the MSI 170 gamer mITX, now the guy I am building it for is asking about the the Asus gaming board as well as he read somewhere Asus was the best ..... lol
I do not dislike Asus , just do not thing they are any better in this class of board is all.

The OC Formula is too expensive, right now the msi mITX seems to be the best in therms of "bang for the buck"
I can't find very good reviews of the m-atx mobo, are they so entry level mobos?

Performance will be the same for each motherboard at the same clockspeed (I discussed overclocking above). As far as features for the price, I don't know off hand as I do not know their features. As mentioned earlier, you can go to newegg.com and compare the boards right next to each other and see.

The OCF represents the best price enthusiast level board.
TBH you have no need for such a board. Most mATX boards will be on par with their ATX siblings
As joe stated, just about any mid level board will work for your needs, You will be better off making a selection based upon the feature set

As far as mITX boards go be careful if you plan to utilize their M.2 slots as not all support 80mm M.2 cards
Also be aware of the M.2 slot type.

Like I said I am in the middle of putting one of these together.
After reading every review available I have come to the conclusion that the following 4 area all good choices for a Z170

MSI gammer
Asus gamer
Gigabits G1 gamer
AsRock Fatality gamer

the ROG board is way overkill for ambient cooling IMO

I compared them on newegg and the MSI m-ITX seems to be the best looking at features and price, followed by pro4s (until 150-160€ is not a problem so I can go for the msi even if it is more expensive) and than Fatal1ty that is the most expensive.

I like that one as well , Please note if using an M.2 that board only supports up to a 60mm drive

good luck with the build

You will be limited to the smaller M.2 drives. Smaller M.2 drives = less capacity on them.

Do you plan on using an M.2 drive in the first place?

Also, that is typically an issue with these smaller boards. There are some that will do 80mm, but an ITX/mATX board, its a bit smaller so there is less room for these devices, particularly on ITX boards

Actually I don't know if I'll use them. I just bought a samsung pro 250gb, how are this m.2 drives? I really don't know anything about them

Ah ok, I got it, they are like the 950 from Samsung. Well actually no, I'm not using them in a near future and if I would they will be not bigger than 250gb

Back