• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build (Haswell vs Skylake)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I edit the previous post. Ty.

So I'm going with:

MSI z170i Gaming Pro
I5 6600K
DDR4 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz CL15 LPX

TOT: 500€

Is it all good?

Seems fine to me... what about your Power Supply? If you are going to use what you have, what is it specifically?

ENERMAX Revolution85+ 920W, I heard that nowadays ripples standard are a little bit higher, but for all the other things I think is still a great PSU

It was a solid PSU at the time it was released, over 7 years ago... how old is the one you have? You should be fine, but if it is that old, you may want to look into getting something new if wonky things happen with your PC under load.

A quality 650W unit will power what you listed (just in case) with any single GPU and CPU with overclocking them to their limits.

Mine has just turned 5 years November 2015.

Just a curiosity, do you know of a case that can host an ATX board and a 310mm VGA but is smaller than a mid tower?

If not using one it is a non issue, just wanted to make sure you knew, this for some reason is not mentioned in most specs

I can not confirm the G1 one way or the other as I can not find any information on it, however the Asrock Fatality and Asus Gamer mITZ boards support 80mm drives

You can tell by the number of screw holes there are on the board. At least, that will be 'official' support. Some boards have enough room and they can 'hang' where there isn't a mount point (not say that is a good idea here, LOL!).

Ty all for the help.

Since I'm choosing mitx I'm looking to a good case to put near the monitor, on the desk. Initially I chose the Aerocool Ds cube, now I'm looking at the Corsair 350D (the 250D does not support the r9 390). Seems to be just a little bit higher than the ds cube but the front face is smaller. I hope is not too much big for being put on a desk.

However, how is it regarding airflow and cooling option? Probably I'll take a reobus since there are two 5.25" Bay and the mobo has few fan headers, any suggestions?

Not up on the 350 , I am using this case on a current build

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-ITX.html

I already have it coming and my client keeps changing his mind, He is asking for a price to do custom water cooling.
If I would have known I would have gone with something else. Waiting until I get it in my hands on it to see if it is even possible

Corsair typically has decent air flow, not sure if a reobus will be needed

good luck with your build :thup:

Sorry if I'm still here. I managed to save some extra money and now I have the cash to:

buy an x99 platform
buy an i5 and an evga supernova g2

Which of these is the better option? Ty for the patience

If your application responds to more cores, then x99 and a hexadecimal would be better in that respect.

If your application responds to more cores, then x99 and a hexadecimal would be better in that respect.

Ty for the reply. Well no, right now only gaming.
I had this doubt when I watched a video where the 2600K was performing 5 (10 in gta V) fps less than an i7 6700 at the same clock (4.4Ghz). And that a i7 980x still does not bottlenek a 980Ti. So that is what i'm seeking, not an high end cpu that will remain the best over the years, but an high end cpu that will not bottleneck 300-350$ gpus for at least 3-4 years, obviously overclocking it.

The amount of cores a cpu has doesn't bottleneck a gpu. Certain games, like RTS games, rely on the cpu more than the gpu. So it may appear that it is bottlenecking a glu, but it isnt. A 6700k would easily last 3-4 years for a gaming machine. There are still people plenty happy with their 2600k. ;)

Ok, that was what I wanted to hear.
Last thing, I heard of Broadwell-E coming out soon, with their release maybe Haswell-E will be cheaper since they are more or less in the same price spot, is it true?
Maybe if the 5820K become cheaper can be a valid alternative to a 6700K even for gaming

5820k amd 6700k cpus are priced similar(look it up and see). The difference will be in motherboards and quad channel memory really.

Broadwell-e isn't due out for a couple of months... and the price will drop a bit, but, to me, it isn't worth the wait. Broadwell-e will barely be faster than haswell-e

Ok, understood. If they'll come out in april I can wait, if we are talking of june probably not.
I'd really like to see the 5820k 50 buks less than now

Back