• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are lots of reviews but the board in general would be like my M VIII Hero plus it's on sale at the Egg so a bit cheaper. Decent board and the answer is NO it wouldn't "divert" power to the CPU

Seems a bit of a waste no ? no one really uses IGPU, Asus might have made a compromise.

That is how most VRMs are setup. It isn't a compromise really. It has what it needs, more isn't really going to help.

Are you certain that's how the power is distributed? I haven't found anything official.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...maximus-vii-ranger-hero-motherboard-review/2/

"Asus equips the Maximus VII Ranger with an eight phase power delivery system for the CPU... Although the Ranger features eight physical power delivery phases, a single controller provides operation to a set of two physical phases. This is a semi-controlled system, of sorts, although its impact on the overclocking capacity of air-cooled systems may be negligible."

Was comparing it the ASRock Extreme6, i took a liking to ROG but they seem to be very overpriced. The Ranger stood out.

I had a chance to test Ranger and it's almost the same as Hero while Hero is almost the best Z170 board you can get. Difference is mainly in memory overclocking and couple of features available for the highest overclocking series boards like LN2 switch so nothing really important if you need motherboard for gaming + some overclocking.

Honestly, since you are overclocking on air and water, I wouldn't worry in the least about power phases. Anything in that midrange price you are looking at will have plenty of clean power for ambient overclocking.

Not worry so much as curiosity :) Used to be displayed with pride on the mobo website, now no one seems to care about it.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...maximus-vii-ranger-hero-motherboard-review/2/

"Asus equips the Maximus VII Ranger with an eight phase power delivery system for the CPU... Although the Ranger features eight physical power delivery phases, a single controller provides operation to a set of two physical phases. This is a semi-controlled system, of sorts, although its impact on the overclocking capacity of air-cooled systems may be negligible."

Was comparing it the ASRock Extreme6, i took a liking to ROG but they seem to be very overpriced. The Ranger stood out.

On that series all the power switching was done on the CPU.

Yep, the FIVR (Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator) controlled the step down voltages to the CPU. Skylake moved away from that again.

Indifferent for most people. The difference is that a higher voltage (Input voltage) was fed to the CPU's FIVR. THe FIVR then steps down the voltages to the different parts of the CPU (IMC, SA, PCH, Vcore, etc), versus the motherboard doing it again. From a heat and thermal perspective, it seems that keeping the VR on the board is beneficial.

Back