• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK Indigo Xtreme + EK R5E Monoblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caos

Hi Everyone,
I bought the x99 chipset (2011-3) Rampage V extreme EK Monoblock which covers the chipset, Mofset and CPU as a single piece water block. Now looking the reviews and how to guides that are available on the internet, the Indigo application and reflow process requires a closure of the cooling system (water and air) in order for he CPU to attain a temperature to liquefy the Metal Alloy. This poses a unique problem in regards to the monoblock:
The installation of the monoblock consists of removing the stock heat sink for the chipset and MOFSET there by not providing any passive cooling for these components. My (limited) understanding is that the CPU clock throttles back in order not to overheat, what about the mofset and chipset? How long or what time frame would be acceptable in order not to damage the mofset’s and chipset when applying the re-flow process??
I mailed Ek and the makers of the TIM and they reponded as follows;

"You are correct in that there would not be good thermal contact with the MOSFETs; therefore, we do not recommend Indigo Xtreme or XS for use with monoblocks"

that being said, i mailed EK for further clarifation of the suitability regarding the TIM with the use of the EK RE5 Monoblock .... the response i got was;

Dear costumer,

thank you for contacting us.

The reflow process shouldn't be a problem for chipset and mosfets.
As the CPU is being stressed it presents a wast amount of heat compared to the chipset and mosfets so the CPU will be at max temperature.
Max. temperature for mosfets is ~120°C (really depends on the type but they can withstand those temperatures without problem).
Chipset will reach ~90°C (as the reflow process starts at ~95°C). You can place a fan to blow over the PCB around chipset to be on the safe side.

Keep in mind that the reflow process should take a bit longer as the mass of the monoblock is quite a bit higher compared to only cpu water block.

If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thanksssss...

Now a bit confused here, One is saying we don't recommend it .. the other is saying it shouldn't be a problem..
i have searched the net and so far no responses to the question... would love to hear other views or experiences as so far i havent been able to locate How-to Guides information regarding such hardware

Typically on monoblocks you would use TIM for the CPU and a thermal pad for the MOSFETs.

Typically on monoblocks you would use TIM for the CPU and a thermal pad for the MOSFETs.

Hi ATMINSIDE ,
thanks for the reply. I know the MOFSET and chipset will be covered with the pads and TIm but what i am trying to find out is that .. is the monoblock sufficient enough (with the pads/tim) to prevent them (chipset / MOFSET) from cooking or being damaged during the reflow process. of do i need to provide some passive cooling via a fan , especially to the mofset.... or applying the indigo xtreme is not possible or not recommended from experience ??

First, you don't use both pads and TIM at the same time. It's an either/or situation.

Second, why are you trying to reflow the solder on your MOSFET's and chipset??

Third, if you have a waterblock on the MOSFET's and chipset you don't need a fan.

Lastly, I recommend using a traditional TIM instead of a metal TIM on a water block.
This metal TIM is meant for use going between the die and IHS, not IHS and waterblock.

Hi ATMINSIDE ,

firstly let me clarify i wont be using the Indigo in the mofset or Chipset.. what i was thinking to use a little bit of thermal compound (for adhesion) and the thermal pads provided by Ek for the chipset, use only thermal pads for the mofset and use the EK-TIM only on the CPU section... there are some tutorials on apply the EK-TIM on a CPU water block only and instructions provided by EK, i.e for the Superemacy EVO water block.
Maybe i wasnt clear enough with my question...if so my apologies...
Since the Monoblock requires the removal of the stock heatsinks for the mofset and chipset... there fore loosing passive cooling... how will the these components handle the load during the reflow process? lets assume i put the provided thermal pads on the chipset and mofset... will it handle the load, they overheat burn and or fail etc????

thanks

Again, only use TIM or pads. You don't need to use TIM to stick the pads to anything.
Of course, for the CPU portion you'll use TIM there instead of pads.

Yes, the MOSFETs and chipset lose passive cooling. That said, they also gain active cooling, this is the whole point of a monoblock instead of a CPU block.

Reflow? Why are you trying to reflow the solder????

The Indigo TIM must reach a certain temp to "flow" ATM that's where the confusion is coming in. Typically start the PC with no cooling and let it go into auto shut down from CPU overheat protection.

The Indigo TIM must reach a certain temp to "flow" ATM that's where the confusion is coming in. Typically start the PC with no cooling and let it go into auto shut down from CPU overheat protection.

This goes back to post #4:
Lastly, I recommend using a traditional TIM instead of a metal TIM on a water block.
This metal TIM is meant for use going between the die and IHS, not IHS and waterblock.

The Indigo isn't like a liquid metal and should be able to remove quite easily. Unless I misundestand.

EDIT: On second thought I did find this http://www.overclock.net/t/1027735/indigo-xtreme-tim-what-it-looks-like-after-removing
Someone had some trouble removing it after

From the product page: http://www.indigo-xtreme.com/page-bab.shtml

The Indigo Xtreme innovative and patented structure deploys a highly conductive Phase Change Metal Alloy (PCMA) into all the surface micro-asperities on your CPU lid and heat sink, resulting in the lowest resistance heat path of any grease, paste, or pad thermal interface product available today.

Sounds like to me it'll bond with any metallic surface that is heated, I say "good luck" to getting it off.

Ive used the Indigo and I've got to say it's a pain in general to use, applying it as well as taking it off . Possibility of not reflowing correctly Its almost impossible to fix and you almost always only have one chance to sit. On taking it off, It does have a thin film that does not really help. It can bond incorrectly to the block or IHS only possible way is scraping it off causing scratches. I still have bits of it on my old waterblock cause it to not sit correctly (at the time I was too lazy to polish the block so I moved to using a supremacy Evo that I am currently using now).

And finally, on my time using it, Temp difference between the indigo and the MX-4 are 2-3c difference and to me not really worth the trouble of said problems above.

Last edited:
That TIM seems a bit high maintenance for the normal user. Kick her to the curb! Use the pads or TIM on the mosfets and VRMs, w/e the instructions say for that portion of the monoblock and than apply TIM on the CPU and when I mean TIM, something like MX-4 and call it a day. No need to mess with that other TIM as it seems it needs to be cooked to cure, flow or spread and a pain to remove.

Back