• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do the XBone and PS4 have QWERTY keyboard functionality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've always wondered this. I had always heard/read the older consoles wouldn't support keyboards, but I don't see why not, after all they all have USB ports.

The Xbox One and PS4 both support USB keyboards for purposes of navigating the interface and typing in place of using the onscreen keyboard.

I've always wondered this. I had always heard/read the older consoles wouldn't support keyboards, but I don't see why not, after all they all have USB ports.

Yes and no. As others said you can utilize keyboards for navigation and chat, but not for inside games (without the user of a third party tool like a XIM/etc.)

Yes and no. As others said you can utilize keyboards for navigation and chat, but not for inside games (without the user of a third party tool like a XIM/etc.)

So you couldn't use it to type out say, Fallout 4 cheat codes?

No, as far as I know keyboards are essentially disabled in the games. Beyond the fact that I'm completely unaware of any cheat codes in modern games like how they used to be.

No, as far as I know keyboards are essentially disabled in the games. Beyond the fact that I'm completely unaware of any cheat codes in modern games like how they used to be.

Thankfully, Fallout 4 still has extensive console cheat codes, it's especially useful when you get stuck in the game's geometry (i.e. noclip).

Do you mean console as in hitting ~ on pc or console as in xbox/ps4? Obviously the pc game has full access to the development console menu.

My guess is that it won't support Xinput, and while the basic buttons and analog sticks may work, the vibration probably won't. Overall, it probably would not be a good choice for a PC game controller. The thing is, if they really wanted to turn it into a serious PC gaming controller, they would need to create their own alternative to Xinput that would allow proper use of all controller functions, and then convince PC game developers to support it. I don't think there is a strong incentive for them to do that.

My guess is that it won't support Xinput, and while the basic buttons and analog sticks may work, the vibration probably won't. Overall, it probably would not be a good choice for a PC game controller. The thing is, if they really wanted to turn it into a serious PC gaming controller, they would need to create their own alternative to Xinput that would allow proper use of all controller functions, and then convince PC game developers to support it. I don't think there is a strong incentive for them to do that.

That doesn't have anything to do with the conversation here...

Back