• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slamming into a wall, 980ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so I am fussing around with my 980Ti and I am slamming into a wall. I can get +300 offset clock at stock volts, but if I try to go even 1mhz above that even with max overvolts(81mv) the display driver crashes. I am using precision X with KBoost enabled. Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to push past this wall?

What are your actual boost clocks when running a 3D load?
What's the temperature as well?

Temps never exceeds 40C, KBoost forces the card to run max boost clock all the time. I can get 1489 fully stable at stock clocks if I try to pusth 1490 or up it crashes the driver even with extra voltage.

This is basically a clean install. Haven't tried different drivers yet. I also feel like 81mv is short changed so I may have to bust out the bios editor and go to town on this biatch. I know that 30% base clock is not exactly a bad OC, but I really feel like theres more left in this card. The fact that I can get the same results on stock volts VS max overvolts is really tripping me out. Never seen that before. I was expecting at least another 50-100mhz by maxing out the extra voltage, but no not even a single extra mhz.

Which 980ti? Have you had GPUz sensors tab open during your run to see if adding voltage actually raises the voltage? With that, have you checked to see if you're hitting the power limit perf cap?

Maxwell isn't responding to voltage like old Nvidia did, we've seen this a few times.

Maxwell isn't responding to voltage like old Nvidia did, we've seen this a few times.

Once they get up past 1.262v, yeah....some cards are limited at MUCH lower than that, and can be a limiting factor. Which is why I told him to make sure he's got GPUz sensors tab open, to see what voltage the card is actually running, not just what he's adding to the slider. And, along with that, he can watch the PerfCap Reason line, which will tell him what's capping out performance. The Maxwell cards are hindered by artificially low power limits...

Watch for green...PWR...and make sure you're power target slider is at max, any time you're overclocking.

MY Galax 980 Ti HOF that I had would not clock stable higher than 1493 no matter what. And adding any voltage at all made it crash on everything. First as was said make sure you don't have a voltage locked card, that right there would describe what you're saying with the behavior adding mv. Also did you get your highest clock first with the memory stock? A lot of the 980 Ti's are VERY finicky on clocking the memory. I know mine was.

Agreed on the voltage lock and memory being touchy, what's the exact model of the card?

Ok so EVGA 980Ti, not sure which sub model but it should be a stock PCB as it has a FC block on it.
Yes testing with stock MEM speeds. Ill check with GPUz stats a little later.

And yep its sounding like hack and slashing the bios is gonna be my next step.

Ok so EVGA 980Ti, not sure which sub model but it should be a stock PCB as it has a FC block on it.
Yes testing with stock MEM speeds. Ill check with GPUz stats a little later.

And yep its sounding like hack and slashing the bios is gonna be my next step.

You'll want to check the specific model number...some of the EVGA cards are locked at 1.212v. Thus, a bios mod for voltage won't do any good. Also, if you're not hitting the power limit perf cap, with the existing clocks (if you've got a voltage locked card), then, likewise, raising the power limits won't do anything for you either.

GPUz sensors tab will tell you the answers to both questions...except the specific model number.

If wanting to really push the envelope why are you playing with an nVidia reference design

grab a Classy, lightning or Matrix and some cold, ambient cooling will only take you so far

Because this is the card I ended up with. I bought it out of the classies for a killer deal and would otherwise not have it at all. So I'm just seeing how far it will go.

So I went and dug the box up and got the model number. It appears to be EVGAs base model 980ti.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4990-KR

I assume this means that it is probably locked, but im about to run some tests to see whats up.

980ti testing1.jpg

looks like the volts dropped from 1.23 down to 1.74 when the power limit hit 111%

Ok so I am getting ready to start editing my bios. However in the guide Im reading it says I need to disable the GPU in device manager before flashing. I am unsure how/what to do here as I have no backup or onboard GPU to work with...

Last edited:
I am unsure how/what to do here as I have no backup or onboard GPU to work with...
The picture stays up on your screen when you disable the GPU in the Device Manager. Be sure to re-enable after your flashing work.

so basically were doing this to unload the nvidia driver stack and work with a base VGA driver?

so basically were doing this to unload the nvidia driver stack and work with a base VGA driver?
You are not touching the driver except to unload it so you can flash the BIOS on the GPU. I don't believe the flash will work if the driver is still active.

Back