• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slamming into a wall, 980ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep ok thats what I was guessing based on my last post. Now if I can just find a better guide as to which fields do what specifically Ill be in good shape. Id rather not have to reflash this 20 times to figure out what entries are for which performance modes.

Post a picture of the options and I will show you...

2 are for the PCIe connectors uncoming power, 1 is for PCIe power. Another is for the power limit and wattage. In my case, mypower limit was 110, so I found the value that was 110 (I think it was 275000 for 275W), and I adjust it to 350W. I am voltage locked too on that BIOS so I just raised the power limit.

Yep ok thats what I was guessing based on my last post. Now if I can just find a better guide as to which fields do what specifically Ill be in good shape. Id rather not have to reflash this 20 times to figure out what entries are for which performance modes.

Don't be changing settings in the bios unless you know what you're doing. Especially on a card with a single bios. Recovering from a flash that your card won't boot up to is a real PITA.

Let these guys help you.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1573308/nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request

And, a good flashing guide. This thread also goes into a little bit of detail on what the tables do. A little bit. The tables in the examples are from GM204s, though. The GM200 tables are slightly different.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1517316/...d-980-firmware-zosons-h2o-and-air-custom-bios

I used to have a copy of an EVGA reference 980ti bios that I did for a guy on my google drive, to give you as an example. Seems I deleted it already.....

Ask for Mr Dark in the 900 custom bios thread....he'll hook you up.

Last edited:
Ive modded plenty of bios in the past so I think itll be Ok. I do believe I have an old GPU in my storage somewhere if I absolutely must reflash this from a bad flash. I am not about to jump off a cliff with my edits. Mostly right now I am looking to unlock the voltage and power limits. Once I test the GPU thoroughly Ill setup my OC and be done with it.

Ive modded plenty of bios in the past so I think itll be Ok. I do believe I have an old GPU in my storage somewhere if I absolutely must reflash this from a bad flash. I am not about to jump off a cliff with my edits. Mostly right now I am looking to unlock the voltage and power limits. Once I test the GPU thoroughly Ill setup my OC and be done with it.

On the ti the memory is finicky so if you bump it a little and it's not stable always try some more the stability does not necessarily scale in proportion to giving it more it can be random, so push a bit before you call it quits

Voltage isn't going to get you too far ssj. These respond better to temps than voltage.

Voltage isn't going to get you too far ssj. These respond better to temps than voltage.

It's got a waterblock on it, heat shouldn't be an issue. And with the boost voltage it's running right now, adding some voltage sure isn't going to hurt it. He's got a ways to go before it hits that point where the voltage won't help.

Mine wouldn't do any better than air till I hit it with the cold loop. Same voltage but much higher clocks. This die likes Temps plain and simple. I've had cards that give a bit but this 980Ti won't budge till the temps are lower,.Sure there's a water block but that doesn't change things that much. IMO the maxwell won't do much better till you cool it.

Im not expecting miracles I just want to see how far I can take the card. I was going to end up editing the bios eventually anyways as I prefer to use software to OC the board only until I find my comfort zone then dial it in and forget about it.I do miss the days of going cold though. Just dont have the time or spare funds anymore.

Mine wouldn't do any better than air till I hit it with the cold loop. Same voltage but much higher clocks. This die likes Temps plain and simple. I've had cards that give a bit but this 980Ti won't budge till the temps are lower,.Sure there's a water block but that doesn't change things that much. IMO the maxwell won't do much better till you cool it.

I guess that would depend on ambients, and how well your loop is removing the heat.....

My experiences have shown me that keeping the core and memory cool with full coverage blocks allow for higher clocks. It's also taught me that the lower the ambients, the better.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

I guess that would depend on ambients, and how well your loop is removing the heat.....

My experiences have shown me that keeping the core and memory cool with full coverage blocks allow for higher clocks. It's also taught me that the lower the ambients, the better.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Whenever he says cold loop it is a wc loop that has the liquid around -10°C on a warm day.
Quite a far cry from the typical 20-25°C that most water loops see.

Ok so EVGA 980Ti, not sure which sub model but it should be a stock PCB as it has a FC block on it.
Yes testing with stock MEM speeds. Ill check with GPUz stats a little later.

And yep its sounding like hack and slashing the bios is gonna be my next step.

06G-P4-4990-KR

Guess you got the better card. I'm stuck at 1489... lol

Whenever he says cold loop it is a wc loop that has the liquid around -10°C on a warm day.
Quite a far cry from the typical 20-25°C that most water loops see.

Yeah, I get that. But, saying that going from air to water makes no difference in how well the cards will overclock is....goofy

Yeah, I get that. But, saying that going from air to water makes no difference in how well the cards will overclock is....goofy

It's actually true though, going from air to water on Maxwell is making little to no difference in overclocking headroom.

I would imagine this has to do with the difference between benching on a 'stock' bios with limited voltage increases possible, versus benching with a modded bios and extra voltage on air versus water. The larger the delta, the larger the difference in clocks increases from the lower temperatures.

I can't imagine you would see much difference (25-50 MHz?) without a voltage increase just due to temperatures... now, if you are pumping 1.27V into it versus the 1.225 ish, you may get more out of it due to the increase in power used and heat that is output being managed by the water.

The point I was trying to get across was THIS card the 980Ti. My 980 does better with water so do my 580s. Most cards will give a bit if you hit them with enough power. On this one anything over 1.25v unless you're chilling it is a waste

I would imagine this has to do with the difference between benching on a 'stock' bios with limited voltage increases possible, versus benching with a modded bios and extra voltage on air versus water. The larger the delta, the larger the difference in clocks increases from the lower temperatures.

I can't imagine you would see much difference (25-50 MHz?) without a voltage increase just due to temperatures... now, if you are pumping 1.27V into it versus the 1.225 ish, you may get more out of it due to the increase in power used and heat that is output being managed by the water.

Completely agree.

As far as what's gained going from air to full coverage block? That really depends. There are a lot of factors, as stated above. Ambient temps chiefly among them.... On the GM204s I had, the highest I could get stable on a custom bios was around 1550 on the core and 2050 on the memory for FS runs. On water, the best I could do was 1633 on the core and 2176 on the memory. A HUGE increase? Not especially, but, again, to say that cooling on water does NOTHING is pretty silly. Hell, there was a difference in clocks and memory stability going from 16c ambients / 18c coolant temps up to 21c ambient /24c coolant temps.

With the GM200s, from what I've seen in helping people with custom bios files and getting everything set right, going from air to water doesn't see the same kinds of gains as the 204s do, but, I think most of that is due to the fact that they just don't respond to higher voltage quite as well as the 204s. The memory seems to not overclock as well on the GM200 based GPUs as well. I still haven't figured that one out. Still working on it with a few people, trying to get their memory up to where I feel it should / could be running.

With the GM200s, from what I've seen in helping people with custom bios files and getting everything set right, going from air to water doesn't see the same kinds of gains as the 204s do, but, I think most of that is due to the fact that they just don't respond to higher voltage quite as well as the 204s

That was my point and I'm not goofy.
P.S. sometimes things have different meanings depending where you're from. Up here a goof is a......let's just say someone who like younguns.

Back