• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte r9 380 oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnceSaved

Hello everyone.
So a couple days ago I got a brand new r9 380, first adventure into the red team for gpus. Well I'm trying to get the best oc I can out of it. I'm using msi afterburner and benching with 3d mark and heaven bench. I got it to a stable oc on heaven of 1125 core clock with a memory clock of 1625. Power is up plus 20 which is max and core voltage is up 55mV. Getting an ultra score of 1722 with an fx6350 at 4.3 and 8gb ram at 1866.

Now the weird part. Going to 3d mark it couldn't even so the intro to the test at those settings so I dropped it back to 1100 core and 1600 memory with a +35mV and still failed...

Why can it run one flawlessly and game fine but fail everytime on the other?

Because different benchmarks and games load the GPU differently, thereby showing instability in certain instances.

This isn't anything new.

Well I'll tinker with it more today. It's looking like a got a bad overclocker because I'm only up like 100mhz and getting these issues.

If I raise the mv past +55 is that dangerous? I know raising that can gain my stability at the cost of heat but I'm never getting above 68°C

68C is plenty of headroom for these chips., If you were pushing 90C then I'd say to back down/stop adding more voltage.

Heaven runs flawlessly on high and ultra with zero crashes, stutters, or artifacts. But the skydive test in 3d mark can't even get through the intro. And as I said in gaming it handles it flawlessly.
What is the safest bump in mv? Can I max the slider on msi afterburner?

That I'm actually not sure on. My cpu only had a mild oc and never sees high temps but I'll try firestrike and see if it handles that better

FS has a Physics portion which is brutal on the CPU.. If it makes it through that, it may just be that test?

Heaven runs flawlessly on high and ultra with zero crashes, stutters, or artifacts. But the skydive test in 3d mark can't even get through the intro. And as I said in gaming it handles it flawlessly.
What is the safest bump in mv? Can I max the slider on msi afterburner?

Any specific reason you are trying to set an OC with Skydive?

Ok, as soon as my computer stops being dumb and uninstalls oc guru I'll run FS

- - - Updated - - -

Had no idea skydive was cpu biased. Still pretty new to all this honestly. This is only the 2nd gpu I've overclocked

The "usual" benchmarks used are the 3D Firestrike bench marks, and then Valley and Heaven.

Just finished FS on with the max stable oc I got on heaven and got a 7290. 9618 graphics 6804 physics and a horrid 2692 combined haha but it held up all the way through with no crashes

Ignore Cloudstrike and move on. If you are stable in Heaven, and in FS, you should be OK to game. :)

Awesome! Well I'm not too mad at it then ended up with a 135mhz core clock boost and 200mhz boost on the memory. But I don't think I can really get anymore out of it so I'll probably stop there haha

Ok I messed with it some more and got 1135 core clock. At +75mv which I'm happy with an currently gaming. I'm keeping an eye on everything with afterburner and the cpu usage and clock speed is fluctuating but mem speed is conatant. Is that normal?

Back