• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P8Z68-V-Pro Wont post after adding more memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

Hi all,
tried adding 2 additional sticks of Ram, identical to the existing pair, and am getting the DRAM LED lighting, and system wont post.

Have
1. Checked the sticks, and they are identical SKU.
2. gone back to stock CPU Speed, Auto DRAM speed, and
3. have tried both pairs in both blue and black slots separately and all works.
4. Tried 2 sticks, 1 old and 1 new, and they work fine.
5. When i put the 4 sticks (each 4gb) into the slots either way, the LED lights, and no boot.
6. Reset the CMOS, same issue
7. Removed the battery for a bit, and returned, same issue.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Update

After cms clear, used the 'Mem Ok' reset button, and after a couple of rebboots, the system booted into the bios, with a cpu error. Default DRAM frequencey is set to 1333 (rated at 1866). When i tried to boot with 1866, same problem, so started again. Now working at stock speed, but dram below par.
Back now to overclock speed, with memory @ 1333. Could probably do better by loosening timings. But for the moment I'm happy.

Fish

Last edited:
Not entirely sure where you are at, lol! First, your signature says 1333 ram, but in the post you mention 1866?

Anyway, 1333 is the default JEDEC standard. Your PC should boot to that unless you set it otherwise. In order to reach higher speeds, you need to enable the XMP profile or manually set the ram.

At this point I think it would be best to post up a CPUz screenshot showing the Motherboard, Memory, and SPD tabs (include shots of both types of ram with 2 SPD screenshots - change the slot in the drop down).

Last edited:
Not entirely sure where you are at, lol! First, your signature says 1333 ram, but in the post you mention 1866?
Anyway, 1333 is the default JEDEC standard. Your PC should boot to that unless you set it otherwise. In order to reach higher speeds, you need to enable the XMP profile or manually set the ram.

At this point I think it would be best to post up a CPUz screenshot showing the Motherboard, Memory, and SPD tabs (include shots of both types of ram with 2 SPD screenshots - change the slot in the drop down).

Hi EarthDog,
Current status is everything is working, and is O/C stable @ 4.5ghz. But memory is set to the 1333 default value from the bios reset. (that's why i put it in the sig).The rated speed i believe is 1833 for that memory. All memory is the same. I believe that i could not get a Post when it was set to 1866, and had to reset the bios. I think the ram voltage may have been at 1.5v when this happened.

Heres the CPUZ stuff. I also attach some images from the BIOS. Note the memory timings have not been changed, and the clock speed is the default I got when i reset the bios. (FYI Bios is the most up to date available). Also I have the vram @ 1.6v, this may be unnecessarily high for the current ram speed.

So what if anything, should i do with memory speed?

Thanks for the help.

Office16_043.jpg

20160211_201141.jpg

20160211_201249.jpg

20160211_201616.jpg

Did you ever set the XMP profile or just set the speed manually? Set it all (memory related items) to auto and use the XMP.

Reseat the RAM and try again, it may take a gazillion tries... If it's anything like my socket 775 motherboard RAM slots...

Did you ever set the XMP profile or just set the speed manually? Set it all (memory related items) to auto and use the XMP.

Never noticed and X.M.P option in the advanced EFI settings. Checked the manual, but when i look in the bios, i only see an AUTO and MANUAL option for Ai Over clock tuner. I tried setting it in AUTO, and then the memory clock in AUTO. Would not post. I think memory auto clock setting is the issue. Not sure i could ever over clock with memory in Auto. Does the memory have to comply with and X.M.P standad?

Manually bumped up the clock to 1600, and it booted into window just fine. So will do some stress testing , then try it at 1866. No biggie if i don't get to the rated speed. Rig is meeting my expectations as is. The 80/20 rule might be applying here.

Thanks for your help/encouragement.

Office16_044.jpg

Just noticed, the memory is rated as CL13 @ 1866MHz and 1.5v.. I'm currently running with 9.9.9.24 @ 1600MHz and 1.6v, So i'd have a better chance of reaching 1866 with CL13 timings.

Last edited:
Back