• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta disk usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

I'm not getting any WUs. From the log:
Code:
Tue 09 Feb 2016 08:02:17 PM CST | rosetta@home | Rosetta Mini needs 233.78MB more disk space.  You currently have 719.89 MB available and it needs 953.67 MB.

Disk available:
Code:
hbarta@yggdrasil /etc $ df -H
Filesystem           Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                 8.4G   13k  8.4G   1% /dev
tmpfs                1.7G  1.6M  1.7G   1% /run
/dev/sda5             37G   15G   20G  43% /
none                 4.1k     0  4.1k   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none                 5.3M     0  5.3M   0% /run/lock
none                 8.4G  393M  8.0G   5% /run/shm
none                 105M   41k  105M   1% /run/user
/dev/sda6            296G  192G   90G  69% /home
oak:/export/share    3.0T  2.1T  770G  73% /mnt/share
oak:/export/redwood  3.0T  2.1T  770G  73% /mnt/oak
hbarta@yggdrasil /etc $

Where is Rosetta checking disk space? I would expect / (since files are somewhere under /var/lib)

I guess I'll fold for now.

Thanks!

AFAIK, (which the little that I know) it's the BOINC client that checks disk space. In the GUI, tools, computing preferences, disk and memory usage.
I found out when during a disk swap on my quad. I wasn't paying attention and only allowed the partition 11gb. I could download work, but only enough for 4 cores. 60 cores sitting idle. It was a fresh install, so I resized the partition to use the full 80gb available. That allowed work.

Just checked on that machine, 22+ (23) gb uses by BOINC, 30+ available.
If you can re-size your Linux partition, that SHOULD help.

I doubt I can be further help, other than logging in, I have to google how to do anything in Ubuntu. This forum doesn't get a bunch of traffic, so thought I'd attempt to help.

Oh, as an afterthought. Swap file and OS will take precedent over disk usage. You may show enough disk space, but it would depend how the OS allocated it.
Make sense? Just finished first cup of coffee.:-/

Last edited:
Hi donuts, thanks for the reply.

I have two two disk partitions on this machine. They are represented by the lines:
Code:
Filesystem           Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5             37G   15G   20G  43% /
/dev/sda6            296G  192G   90G  69% /home

One has 20 GB available and the other 90 GB. The root partition ('/') is the one with 20 GB and that's where BOINC stores files. The message from Rosetta is that it needs a bit less than 1 GB. I don't see how resizing partitions is going to make a difference.

Just to make sure, I went to where the files are stored and double checked.

Code:
hbarta@yggdrasil /var/lib/boinc-client $ df -H .
Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/disk/by-uuid/6a4d9d0c-ff6f-4cbe-8aa2-e2b126e87b4e   37G   15G   20G  43% /
hbarta@yggdrasil /var/lib/boinc-client $

best,
hank

Edit: Asking at the Rosetta forum: https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=6788#79524

Last edited:
I got some help at the Rosetta forum. I was able to resolve the problem by increasing "Use at most X Gigabytes of disk space" from X = 1.0 to X = 5.0. (Tools -> Computing Preferences... -> Disk and memory usage.)

Back