• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting some advice for before I build a X99 Machine.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wade7575

Registered
I'm looking at buying this Mobo and a I7 5030K and overclocking it to the 3.7GHZ http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132261&cm_re=asus_x99-_-13-132-261-_-Product

What I'm wanting to know is it the Chipset that is the problem or is it something with the makers of the Mobo's because every brand I look at like Asus EVGA MSI ASROCK a lot of people are having the same problems according to reviews on Newegg,they are saying they can't get the Bios to post and some say that the Sata ports and PCI's stop working and other problems and thing that I'm not sure on it is the same thing they are all having problems with,did intel just rush this chipset out the door to fast because I can not see why everyone that is making a Mobo with the X99 chipset is having the same problems.

Also I have never Overclocked anything before but I have built many PC's so I have a good understanding of what I need to do in many respect's.

Question 1 Do I need to use liquid cooling if I overclock a i7 5930K or can I use a Noctua cooler like this one http://noctua.at/en/nh-d14.html?faq_view=69 the reason I ask this is I have never used water cooled and would like to stick with a straight water cooled system if possible as my friend got a liquid cooled system that did not use water and what ever they used for fluid got thick after 4 years of use,feel free to tell me what cooler I should get from newegg and if liquid cooled please keep in mind I don't mind spending the cash I just don't want to pay for the name.

Question 2 what speed of ram would I need to overclock to 3.7GHZ I'm not looking to overclock this machine to any extreme just want something for when I do video editing it can tear threw a task a good speed,I mainly use Corsair Ram as I have never had any issuse's with their ram,what I do not understand is what speed of Ram do I need I know I need to use DDR4 but to get 3.7GHZ should I get 2400 or 2666 or even higher.

1) You can go with a far cheaper motherboard. Just about any X99 mobo should get you to your goal of 3.7Ghz.

2) The 5930K already turbo boosts to 3.7, so I wouldn't even worry about overclocking it if that's all the higher you want to go. I'd say you could get 4.0-4.3 pretty easily with your cooling and (possibly) a small voltage bump.

3) Certainly, no need to go with water cooling if you don't want to. The NH-D14 should cool the chip just fine. Just make sure you have the proper mounting hardware for the heatsink on X99.

4) From what I've read, the X99 platform is a bit more finicky with higher RAM speeds and CPU overclocks. I would probably stick to only running my modules at their XMP profile speeds if it were me and shoot for a 2800 kit. Others with X99 experience can chime in more on this.

I have always used ASUS Motherboards and I know there are many other boards out there that do not cost as much but I really do like ASUS the best as far as how well they look after you when it comes to warranty plus I'd like to try out their new socket with the extra pin's.

When you say I may be able to get up to 4.0Ghz that maybe something I'd like to get up to even more so then 3.7Ghz but I do not want to get to wild and then wear it out before it's time because I went to crazy,would you still use 2800 Ram when trying to get 4.0Ghz or would I have to use a Ram with higher Mhz.

1) You can go with a far cheaper motherboard. Just about any X99 mobo should get you to your goal of 3.7Ghz.

2) The 5930K already turbo boosts to 3.7, so I wouldn't even worry about overclocking it if that's all the higher you want to go. I'd say you could get 4.0-4.3 pretty easily with your cooling and (possibly) a small voltage bump.

3) Certainly, no need to go with water cooling if you don't want to. The NH-D14 should cool the chip just fine. Just make sure you have the proper mounting hardware for the heatsink on X99.

4) From what I've read, the X99 platform is a bit more finicky with higher RAM speeds and CPU overclocks. I would probably stick to only running my modules at their XMP profile speeds if it were me and shoot for a 2800 kit. Others with X99 experience can chime in more on this.

My personal opinion is that any story you hear about good or bad experiences had with customer service from any company should be taken with a grain of salt. Any experience on the extreme end, good or bad, is likely anecdotal. I have heard some terrible experiences with Asus (some folks here have links to such stories in their signatures even...). Bottom line, all companies are trying to make as much money as they can from you while spending as little as they can to fix issues with their products. I've had pretty good experience across the board, dealing with RMAs from a number of different brands. As long as your complaint is reasonable, you will be covered.

With that out of the way, if you want Asus, go for it. :thup: I don't have any brand loyalty, personally, but Asus's products usually are feature-rich and of quality construction. I think they charge more than Asrock and others who often have the same feature set or better for less money, but :shrug:

Overclocking your CPU to 3.7, 4.0, 4.5, is not going to decrease its lifespan appreciably. CPUs are made to run for many, many years. Even if you shave off a couple (which you likely aren't), you'll have upgraded long before that matters. Just be smart about it (don't increase voltage drastically and keep temps in check) and you'll have nothing to worry about.

With this being your first OC, I would shoot for 4.0 at as low of a voltage setting as possible (and that's after you've determined if an overclock is even necessary for your tasks, by the way...).

Ram speed is completely separate from your CPU core speed. They're not tied to each other with ratios like in the good ol' days :) CPU will have a multiplier (37, 40, ...) which you'll set to determine core speed. You'll bump up the voltage as necessary to get that speed stable. Memory, you'll set to its XMP profile and forget about it. Changing the CPU multiplier will have no affect on the RAM speed.

The only caveat to this, that I mentioned previously, is that I remember reading in a few places that the X99 platform is a little finicky with RAM speeds and CPU overclocks (as in, the additional stress on the IMC from high speed ram can cause instability when coupled with CPU overclocks). I have no personal experience with that, so I can't say for certain. Read some professional reviews on the 5930K and see what ram they use and whether they needed to adjust anything when they overclocked. And maybe make a new thread specifically regarding X99 ram speeds if no one else posts here.

I agree with everything your saying about warranty's when it comes to company's and I think it's got a lot to do with your attitude when talking to them as well plus I know from building 70 plus ASUS PC's I have only had 2 problems with them and the 1 was one I built for myself and it would give me a ton of problems every 30 days I have to wipe my OS install and start over again why,well I did not know at the time what was causing the problem and I RMA'd the board I think it was one with a H55 chipset,what would happen was the PC would not wake from sleep mode properly after 20 or 30 days the screen would stay black and the tower would come to life but that it and I would have to turn it off then restart it 1 to 3 times to get it to boot into Windows and I thought I was getting bad Mobo's and the problem was ASUS never put in the manual for the Mobo I got that you needed to go into the bios and set it to S1 S2 S3 and there was another I'm pretty sure it did not start S and that's how it was instructed to wake up from sleep mode,well after calling many time to ASUS and of course there's me not knowing that when you call your speaking to level one staff and that they have people that use for the toughest problem and they are called level 2 or Tier 2 support and after one guys I'm going to pass you over to level 2 support to the guy that's been here the longest and if anyone can figure this it will be him.

Now I know that when the idiot on the phone try's helping and has done nothing and when he run's out of idea's and say have I done everything I can to help you today sir and the guy knows the problem has not been fixed I just sharply reply back no of course I'm not happy because stuff is still not fixed then ask them to let me speak to level 2,I know that most company's will tell you they have level support where there best and brightest are at because they do not employ a lot of them and if everyone wanted to talk to them they would always be tied up,the reason I like ASUS so much is they have never me wrong and have never waivered from there quality comes policy and they seem to really care about the customer from a company stand point as I think they understand treat the customer like he's king when something goes wrong even if it's his product when buying from you and you'll have him for life because you did say sucker after taking his money.

What would be the stock voltage of the 5930K and how much should I bump it up at a time and how can you tell when the system is running stable is it more less when it stop's crashing and what would be a good temp to keep the CPU at.I know about programs like CPUZ and GPUZ for watching the temp's just never needed them.

I have always used ASUS Motherboards and I know there are many other boards out there that do not cost as much but I really do like ASUS the best as far as how well they look after you when it comes to warranty plus I'd like to try out their new socket with the extra pin's.

When you say I may be able to get up to 4.0Ghz that maybe something I'd like to get up to even more so then 3.7Ghz but I do not want to get to wild and then wear it out before it's time because I went to crazy,would you still use 2800 Ram when trying to get 4.0Ghz or would I have to use a Ram with higher Mhz.
You can like an ASUS motherboard... just get one cheaper? The extra pins will not matter under ambient overclocking. Don't pay a premium for no reason.

EDIT: There isn't a cheaper ASUS motherboard in X99???????? Wow... Yeah, $350 for what you are doing... can be done for less if you look at other brands...

AS far as stock voltage for the 5930K... that will vary by chip. Somewhere around 1.15v though give or take a bit.

In order to see if it is stable, you stress test the CPU and memory with applications like Intel XTU or Prime 95.

Keep the CPU temps under 90C when stress testing.

Guide: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/577...most-out-of-the-core-i7-5960x-5930k-and-4820k

Just get an Asrock X99 Extreme 4, and call it a day. High quality motherboard, and it should get where you want to be with an OC.

OP, figured I'd put this here instead of replying to your PM so that others can fact-check me and future searchers can have the info.

---

Looks like EarthDog has you squared away on the CPU overclocking stuff in the thread.

By "pro reviews", I meant reviews conducted by overclocking or hardware websites (as opposed to user experiences in forums like ours, or youtube videos, or newegg/amazon product reviews). Just google "5930K review". Any of those first 4-5 links are "professional reviews".

RAM modules have a frequency they run at (2800Mhz in our example) as well as a long list of memory timings. In DDR3, for example, you'll often see RAM marketed at 1600Mhz, 9-9-9-24 timings (C9). Each of those numbers indicates the latency (how many clock cycles) particular operations take on a given module of ram. Copy and pasting from another site:

The operations that these numbers indicate are the following: CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-CMD. To understand them, bear in mind that the memory is internally organized as a matrix, where the data are stored at the intersection of the lines and columns.
CL: CAS Latency. The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it. It is the time it takes between the processor asking for some data from the memory and then returning it.
tRCD: RAS to CAS Delay. The time it takes between the activation of the line (RAS) and the column (CAS) where the data are stored in the matrix.
tRP: RAS Precharge. The time it takes between disabling the access to a line of data and the beginning of the access to another line of data.
tRAS: Active to Precharge Delay. How long the memory has to wait until the next access to the memory can be initiated.
CMD: Command Rate. The time it takes between the memory chip having been activated and when the first command may be sent to the memory. Sometimes this value is not announced. It usually is T1 (1 clock cycle) or T2 (2 clock cycles).

In RAM overclocking, you can change the frequency (2800Mhz), but you can also change the timings to speed things up. Generally, "loosening" the timings (increasing their values, which means slower) allows you to increase the freqency. So, say you were overclocking a 2800 C15 module. You first tried to increase the frequency to 3000, but found that to be unstable. The next thing you might want to try would be increasing the CAS value in BIOS from 15 -> 16, keeping the freq at 3000, and testing again for stability. It's sort of a balancing act between timings and frequency. The timings do play a big part in performance, however, so you wouldn't want to increase the CAS to 20 just to allow you to increase the frequency to 3200. You might be raising the freq pretty high, but the increased CAS is negating any benefit.

Personally, I never overclock my RAM. I've played with it before and had a bit of success, but the performance benefits just aren't there. Perhaps for non-gaming or iGPU tasks, they might be, but for me it's not worth the hassle for a 1-2% FPS bump. I prefer to just buy the highest speed RAM (with the lowest timings) that my budget allows and run them at their XMP profile speeds. As I mentioned before, RAM speeds nowadays are completely decoupled from CPU speeds, so having higher speed ram running at it's spec'd value should have very little, if any, effect on a CPU overclock, which is my primary goal.

Just get an Asrock X99 Extreme 4, and call it a day. High quality motherboard, and it should get where you want to be with an OC.

I agree with this. ^^^ Dude's got your build! ;)

OP, figured I'd put this here instead of replying to your PM so that others can fact-check me and future searchers can have the info.

---

Looks like EarthDog has you squared away on the CPU overclocking stuff in the thread.

By "pro reviews", I meant reviews conducted by overclocking or hardware websites (as opposed to user experiences in forums like ours, or youtube videos, or newegg/amazon product reviews). Just google "5930K review". Any of those first 4-5 links are "professional reviews".

RAM modules have a frequency they run at (2800Mhz in our example) as well as a long list of memory timings. In DDR3, for example, you'll often see RAM marketed at 1600Mhz, 9-9-9-24 timings (C9). Each of those numbers indicates the latency (how many clock cycles) particular operations take on a given module of ram. Copy and pasting from another site:

In RAM overclocking, you can change the frequency (2800Mhz), but you can also change the timings to speed things up. Generally, "loosening" the timings (increasing their values, which means slower) allows you to increase the freqency. So, say you were overclocking a 2800 C15 module. You first tried to increase the frequency to 3000, but found that to be unstable. The next thing you might want to try would be increasing the CAS value in BIOS from 15 -> 16, keeping the freq at 3000, and testing again for stability. It's sort of a balancing act between timings and frequency. The timings do play a big part in performance, however, so you wouldn't want to increase the CAS to 20 just to allow you to increase the frequency to 3200. You might be raising the freq pretty high, but the increased CAS is negating any benefit.

Personally, I never overclock my RAM. I've played with it before and had a bit of success, but the performance benefits just aren't there. Perhaps for non-gaming or iGPU tasks, they might be, but for me it's not worth the hassle for a 1-2% FPS bump. I prefer to just buy the highest speed RAM (with the lowest timings) that my budget allows and run them at their XMP profile speeds. As I mentioned before, RAM speeds nowadays are completely decoupled from CPU speeds, so having higher speed ram running at it's spec'd value should have very little, if any, effect on a CPU overclock, which is my primary goal.

I agree with this. ^^^ Dude's got your build! ;)
:clap: I agree with that post (out of thanks, LOL).

I'd also keep the questions in public. Ninja will do great helping you out, not a doubt in my mind, but its best to discuss in public.... what helps you, will help others. :)

I agree with everything your saying about warranty's when it comes to company's and I think it's got a lot to do with your attitude when talking to them as well plus I know from building 70 plus ASUS PC's I have only had 2 problems with them and the 1 was one I built for myself and it would give me a ton of problems every 30 days I have to wipe my OS install and start over again why,well I did not know at the time what was causing the problem and I RMA'd the board I think it was one with a H55 chipset,what would happen was the PC would not wake from sleep mode properly after 20 or 30 days the screen would stay black and the tower would come to life but that it and I would have to turn it off then restart it 1 to 3 times to get it to boot into Windows and I thought I was getting bad Mobo's and the problem was ASUS never put in the manual for the Mobo I got that you needed to go into the bios and set it to S1 S2 S3 and there was another I'm pretty sure it did not start S and that's how it was instructed to wake up from sleep mode,well after calling many time to ASUS and of course there's me not knowing that when you call your speaking to level one staff and that they have people that use for the toughest problem and they are called level 2 or Tier 2 support and after one guys I'm going to pass you over to level 2 support to the guy that's been here the longest and if anyone can figure this it will be him.

Now I know that when the idiot on the phone try's helping and has done nothing and when he run's out of idea's and say have I done everything I can to help you today sir and the guy knows the problem has not been fixed I just sharply reply back no of course I'm not happy because stuff is still not fixed then ask them to let me speak to level 2,I know that most company's will tell you they have level support where there best and brightest are at because they do not employ a lot of them and if everyone wanted to talk to them they would always be tied up,the reason I like ASUS so much is they have never me wrong and have never waivered from there quality comes policy and they seem to really care about the customer from a company stand point as I think they understand treat the customer like he's king when something goes wrong even if it's his product when buying from you and you'll have him for life because you did say sucker after taking his money.

What would be the stock voltage of the 5930K and how much should I bump it up at a time and how can you tell when the system is running stable is it more less when it stop's crashing and what would be a good temp to keep the CPU at.I know about programs like CPUZ and GPUZ for watching the temp's just never needed them.

Break up those sentences, Maurice Sendak! :D :rofl: ;)

EDIT:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...sus-warranty-support-Not-good-not-good-at-all

There's that thread I was thinking of earlier. For every good experience with a manufacturer, there's a bad one out there. That's why I find it best to just go with the best bang-for-your-buck option possessing the features you need (which, in your case, is definitely not the $300+ Asus ;)).

Last edited:
I can say I researched for a long time myself on the motherboard, and after a lot of back and forth down to an ASRock Extreme6 and the ASUS Sabertooth I ended getting the Saber tooth on sale. The board had features I was looking for and in the reviews I saw was always at the same performance level as the Rampage. The mobo comes with a 5 year warranty as well which was important to me as this was a considerable investment for a PC build. It has thus far impressed me, and the quality of it is out standing, my first ASUS mobo, had only used Gigabyte and ASRock before. The BIOS is the best I have used so far, And it nailed the OC I wanted right out of the gate with minimal tweaking needed.

I will echo if all you're looking for is 3.7ghz then scale down to the Extreme4 and call it a day and save some cash.

Not sure what's been going on but some of the X99 boards are selling for more now than when they were first released.

Thanks for all of the help and I will be posting a few other questions later on when I have more time I'm just very busy right now,I think I will stick with the ASUS board as the one poster said it's an investment and I'm also planning now on going to 4.0Ghz the reason I was thinking of going to 3.7Ghz before was because I had not talked to Ninja and I asked him in a PM if overclocking wears out the CPU way faster if you keep the temp's down and he said maybe shaving 1 year off of chip that's going to last 20.

The reason I want to stick with ASUS as I stated before they have always looked after every problem I have ever with anything of theirs and I also work on PC's in my spare time and have built over 75 for sure but never overclocked or dealt with anything overclocked,I now years back some people liked ASRock and some hated them I know way back I seen my share with problems and not so many now as from what I understand ASUS has bought them out,and I still see enough MSI and Gigabyte stuff with problems.

I do a lot of stuff with video for a people who do photography and Wedding's and will video the whole thing and I often use ConvertXtoDVD and Sony Vegas and I also game but what I really want is to Convert the wedding video's fast I have 11 photographers that all send me their wedding video's to convert into a movie and put a nice menu on it and stuff whatever else is asked for,it has gotten to the point where I just went out 6 months ago and purchased a DVD Duplicator as I sometimes have 3 to 6 DVDS to make in one months plus keep a job and fix PC's from as well,I do a bit of photography and that's how I have gotten know around my area and about 80 miles away from me threw friends telling their friends who do wedding's and stuff.

Here is the Duplicator I got to make life easier when burning 50 to a 100 plus DVD's,I make the movie first with ConvertXtoDVD and if more stuff is wanted then I use Sony Vegas then after my PC has burnt one copy into the Duper it goes and I can relax for once instead of jumping up and down every time the DVD tray pops open.

https://www.discmakers.com/shop/ItemDetailsDup.aspx?ItemID=DUP040-10061

A motherboard is not an investment.. really. Features you need, look you want. Done for 99% people.

That same $250 board will last just as long as the board you chose. Your fears are misplaced about ASRock, Giga, and MSI. We are trying to save you money and accomplish your goals at the same time. But, it is of course your money and choice. :) :thup:

Last edited:
I have been doing a lot of looking for Case's and nothing has really jumped out at me,I'm finding most either have a window on the side panel witch I don't really like the look of or they have a front door,or any others I did find that I liked did not offer many expanse bays witch I need plus a lot did not come with USB 3.0 and I'm not really looking for a Gamer looking case.

I have think I'm wanting to go with case as it fit's all of my want's and needs better then most I have seen in a case and I like the look of it not being to Gamer looking,I'm also wanting to get this Noctua cooler do you guys think it will fit pretty well with in this case and does this cooler come with the back plate for the 2011v3 socket as Noctua's site seems to suggest it does but I'm not sure as newegg does not list that socket in there specs for this cooler and I'm not sure if the 5930K use's the 80mmx80mm hole spacing like noctua say's in the link.

I know someone is going to have something to say about the case I chose but here's the deal I'm not wanting to build a show queen just a fast PC that can do what I need and have the proper bay's and USB 3.0's I want so all I can ask is to please tell me if this case will work or not as I don't want to get into a case debate,I'm also posting the current Graphic's card I have and I just got it a fews months ago do you guy's see any problems with this set up.

Also one thing can anyone tell me what kind of USB 3.0 plug this Zalman case use's do it come with just a standard USB 3.0 that you plug into the back panel or does it come with the wide plug that plug's into the Mobo as I can see the ASUS board I want does not have the wide plug,is there a cable that goes from the USB 3.0 wide to narrow if that's the case.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121929&_ga=1.125120266.1228229088.1453524904

http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=493

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045&cm_re=noctua-_-35-608-045-_-Product

http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15.html?faq_view=74

It's really difficult to read your posts when you do not use punctuation...:)

Your case has front panel usb3(blue) and usb2 (black). The "wide" usb3 port is between the sata ports on the right side of the board. The USB2 will plug into a different header in your mobo.

I'm not sure if the heatsink will fit. Zalman, in their infinite wisdom, did not list a maximum cooler height for the case.

This build is a bit disjointed... can you list an overall budget and the parts you need? This way we can build you the best system for your needs within your budget.

I'm not worried about budget but I do not want to get a 300.00 case either but don't mind spending a bit on one,it's the case where I will need to the most help to find out if the Noctua will fit inside.

I already purchased the cooler a while back because a PC shop was closing and I got it onsale very cheap but it did not come with a manual and I have tried to find the difference between the differences between the 2 2011 sockets online but can't seem to find out what I need to know,what I nee to know is if the cooler I have listed that I have will fit that socket for a 5930kK or I do need to buy a new mounting plate.

I know I want to use the ASUS Mobo that is list there for many reasons I like the features it has and I also feel the most comfortable using there Mobo's from what I find about their quality.

I have not looked at Ram yet but I mainly use Corsair as I have had any problems with it where I have in the past had problems with the GSkill stuff where the Mobo would not post although it was on the list as being compatable.

If you guys could work around these part's to help me find case that would be great.

Noctua NH-D15

The ASUS Mobo already in this thread

The ASUS graphics card already listed in this thread and of course the 5930K.

What I want in a case is a case that has 3 5.25 bays for DVD Drive size device's and a smaller 3.25 would be nice but not a must,also 2 USB 3.0 port would be nice but again not a must but must have at least one.

Here is a list of what I have or will be using for this build,also I mainly try to deal with Newegg.ca if possible as they are the easiest for me to deal with.

Also would like to keep the case to around 20 inch's tall as I have a 22 inch space to put it in my desk.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045&cm_re=noctua-_-35-608-045-_-Product

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132261&cm_re=asus_x99-_-13-132-261-_-Product

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117403

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121929&_ga=1.234858014.1228229088.1453524904

Last edited:
Back