• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Full Metal Jacket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PvtWulf

Hello folks.Starting a Lan build, calling it Full Metal Jacket. Bought the Corsair Vengeance C70 case because it had handles, thought that would be the ideal case for Lan Parties , never been to one :screwy: but want to go some day. Got the military green . After i got it i said wow, im gonna mod this one to look like ammo can:clap:
Gonna put the Maximus VIII Formula ,Zotac GTX 980 TI Amped Extreme, Corsair 750 or 850 PSU and G Skill Trident Z 3400 16 gig Mem and of course Samsung 950 PRO 500 gig drive,and water cooled (2 -240 rads old stock i had on hand Swifteck and Rohs i think) using Cougar red led fans. Got a Bits Power single bay resivor.Using sunbeam 4 fan controller. My plan is not hack the case to much :clap:s if at all possible. Have thought about the new Moonsoon resevoir if i can find room:rofl:. Any comments appreciated about resivor possibilities would be appreciated. Pictures will follow soon its late now for me gotta go to work in morning:rain: Forgot the i7 6700 cpu

Last edited:
I'll sub for future build Pron.

Comment: I hope you lift weights. That's gonna be one heavy LAN rig.

Thats why i went for this box "Handles", i know u can get handles to attach to any box but im lazy and besides the factory did pretty good job hope they hold up, not as substantial as the ones iv seen on Mnpctech. Any way heres a pic of the case and some of the accrudements,quiet im a terrible speller. Here is pic of box and some of the stuff im thinking of using. The mother board is a maximus vii formula which im replacing with maximum viii formula, the rads in there may stay with touch up or replace with new ones. The fan stays its a cougar red led. The sunbeam fan controller im planning to use one of the face bay plates to re doo the front of the controller. Doesnt show up much r cant tell but temp sensor display will go somewhere ,in fact gonna use 2 temp sensor displays one for fluid temp and one for cpu temp. The ammo box is just for insperation :salute: . Got two shippments today the power supply and the grab box from Performance pc. Gonna replace window with window from Mnpctech, its laying there in front of the window.

Attachments

• 000_0114.JPG
    000_0114.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 438
View attachment 174846By the way Blaylock u otta try and lift my phanteck case ,speaking of here is what im planning to do with my flow meter bitspower. i did this to my Phanteck. Gonna put one in FMJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanted picture to show but just click it. Gonna open Performance pcs box see whats inside. Bear waith me folks kinda new to posting attachments. Dont know if ill have room for flow meter and temp sensors on side ,not much room to work with between window edge and case edge. Flow meter will probably fit might put sensor displays on front of case in one opf the blank bay covers , but i like to look at side of my pcs, see if anyone taking a bath :rain::rain:

Last edited:
Heres what came in box from Performance PC. Isnt that pump nice. Gold Moonsoon compression fittings gold, looks like ammo brass :salute: .Another temp sensor. 90 elbows, bulk head adapters, and hose, more to come especially fittings.

Attachments

• 000_0117.JPG
    000_0117.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 440
  • 000_0116.JPG
    000_0116.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 437
Got replacement knobs for the fan controller time to mod fan controller. and after a bit of doing "Viola thers ur dinner" . If anyone wants to see pic of what fan controller looks like in box ,say so. Gonna add yellow lettering below each know to show each function it controlls.

Attachments

• 000_0121.JPG
    000_0121.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 422
  • 000_0120.JPG
    000_0120.JPG
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 438
  • 000_0119.JPG
    000_0119.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 000_0118.JPG
    000_0118.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 425
Helped a buddy build his system in that case last year, pretty neat setup really. I like the door latches the most.

Well the case is not that sturdy. The metal is thinner than im used to. And smaller ,than full tower, that ive have used in the past. But when buttoned up seems sturdy enough.

The metal is thinner to make the case lighter. It is meant to be a LAN case, after all.

I thought the build quality was up to par with the CM Storm Scout I had, but with a better layout and overall design.

Would liked to have more room for triple radiator up top but as u say LAN case. Making room for two 240 rads though. Cannot mount top rad in push configuration due to fact fans are to close to top grill, make terrible whine when installed in that configuration, fans to close to grill . If they had raised grill similar fashion as they did bottom floor fan mounts might of been better but having clearance issues with top radiator and fans close to mother board as is ,there is just enough room though.

In process of figuring out front fans for radiator. Had them inside case but take up too much room, so moving them to front of case but have to hack case a little to mount that way. Had to re drill fan mount holes and cut out bottom for air flow. Had to remove a bracket on front face plate for it to refit on case. But front face is metal so drimeled it off which is easier to work with than plastic .

- - - Updated - - -

Could mount radiator in original hole mounts in front but radiator had to be mounted with outlets at bottom of case which giving me problems with hose routing .

Did some repositioning for the front radiator. Had issue gonna develop with radiator and fan mounts. Hadf radiator and fans inside case taking up to much room. Original fan mounting in front of case had radiator in case with ports at bottom of casse. Trial fittment of pump and possible floor fan caused hose routing issues. So came up with plan B. Pic shows bracket issue hitting bottom fan from being placed in front. Bracket is at bottom of face case.

- - - Updated - - -

So first had to remove bracket. Got out dremel. Done. :clap:

- - - Updated - - -

Nexft had to hack bottom front of case to let air in. Marked case with old fan with blades removed. Not very clear pic but u get general idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Next was get out dremel again. Done. :clap:

- - - Updated - - -

Next was get out dremel again. Done. :clap:

Attachments

• 000_0125[1].jpg
    000_0125[1].jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 410
  • 000_0127[1].jpg
    000_0127[1].jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 406
  • 000_0128[1].jpg
    000_0128[1].jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 396
Next was to cut out bottom of case for air flow for bottom fan. Grab dremel again. Done. :clap: 000_0129[1].jpg

Next check fitment of fans and case front. Fans in pic not gonna be used ,just for trial fitment. Done. Viola "There's ur dinner" . :salute:

Attachments

• 000_0131[1].jpg
    000_0131[1].jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 000_0130[1].jpg
    000_0130[1].jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 388
More WORK :drool: .Checked placement of PSU, W Pump and Floor Fan ,looks ok i think :screwy: but u know "plans of Mice and Men". 000_0132[1].jpg

Subbed=subscribed to the thread. I'll get an email whenever there is a new post , so I don't miss any of the geeky goodness. :)

Pron= Swap the "o" and "r" and you get a word that's misspelled so we don't show up on unsavory G00gle searches. This build is definitely hardware pron. LOL

Back