• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best software to 1:1 clone a HDD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi there,

Using a highly outdated HD (Samsung) only 150GB in space wanting to know what the best software to use to make a 1:1 clone of this would be so I can then put this onto another drive (considering getting a 1/2/3TB WD drive) wanting to know what will make a perfect working backup without any issues after putting this across a I am looking to ditch the old drive and retire it.

Cheers,

Bandit.

From other soft I'm using Macrium Reflect which has free/trial version and works great with any HDD/SSD. It was actually free without limits but recently they changed free version to trial which has 30 days limit but still can perform all operations within this time.

@Mighty_Miro_WD
Actually I didn't know there is WD version of Acronis HD which is working as long as at least one WD drive is in the system. Other manufacturers are adding this soft to their products but it always requires product key. Good to know that for WD I don't need any key, especially that I'm mainly selling WD drives and at work we have mainly WD too so it can be helpful.

I have used Acronis True Image as well as Clonezilla. Both work well but Clonezilla seems a little faster with more features ( that I don't use :) ).

I use Acronis True Image most of the time as it dynamically resizes the partition to compensate for the target drive being a different size than the source drive. Others may do that as well but I can't say for sure. With Acronis you can create a bootable CD/DVD that allows you to use it in a portable fashion on any number of machines. Macrium Reflect free version is also an excellent product which allows you to clone in a Windows environment but it seems slower to me.

From other soft I'm using Macrium Reflect
+1 for Reflect. I originally used it when i updated my laptop from a mechanical drive to an SSD. I now use it for all of my drive changes, and periodic drive images of my work laptop in case of theft, or hardware damage. It's fast, it's easy learn, easy to use, and it works.

Thank you for the replies everyone it seems based on all replies Acronis and reflect take the cake. At least I have something to start from thank you all again.

Sorry I have another question here.

If I got WD blue 2tb cloning my samsung hd and putting that image to my new WD blue I won't have any issues? (will look to use Acronis).

This is the one i'm considering getting. Makes mention something about Acronis on the webpage.

http://dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?316037

Just make sure you get the source drive and the target drives chosen correctly, whatever product you use. It will be disasterous if you get them mixed up.

Pulled out my other HDD before completing this operation to make sure no screw ups.

Just curious of those who have one of these if they have had theirs make abit of noise not quite grinding or anything really loud but just enough to bug you occur when they first installed theirs.

Mine has stopped making this noise now (at the moment) just wondering if people have this occur again or its just some crap that happens on first use.

Did a S.M.A.R.T test and it checked out all good. Prior to this did a WD clone of my old HDD and shoved its OS etc onto this new HD.

Back