• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY I/O shield.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saturn

Disabled
I can't seem to be able to find a I/O shield for my x48 lanpaorty board so I'll have to make one.
Does anyone have any advice? Anyone know were I can get templates or a blank I/O shield?

Thankyou.

Now this is going to sound kind of silly but.... tinfoil, popsicle sticks and thin cardboard. It will work, and if you are a patient sort you might even be able to make it look okay.

I am curious about this as well though and cant wait to see what others have to say

Have you considered just going without? It's not a mission-critical part...

It's not a mission-critical part...

Not mission critical for benching, but maybe for keeping the dust out of a long term build? Just curious as to your thoughts on how important such a thing is. Personally if I have the choice to buy a board "with shield" or "without", I will grab the on "with". I know a rig will work without it, but it seems fairly necessary to me

Not mission critical for benching, but maybe for keeping the dust out of a long term build? Just curious as to your thoughts on how important such a thing is. Personally if I have the choice to buy a board "with shield" or "without", I will grab the on "with". I know a rig will work without it, but it seems fairly necessary to me

Clean your system on any sort of a regular interval and it won't be an issue.

Back when I still ran my server on an FX-6300 it had no I/O Shield.
It had no more dust accumulation than any other system and it was 24/7 for over two years.

I'm not cheaping out on the system.
No I/o looks like crap and there the chance of hitting the mobo with plunging something in.

If you have no I/O plate, add an extra intake fan to create positive pressure in the case & you'll have no extra dust worries. ;)

However, Saturn, I understand you are doing a specific build & want one. I had an Asus X38 benching board with no accessories for benching, but it evolved into a daily driver for gaming. I ended up replacing it with a full retail Asus X48 board. You want what you want - good luck on the search.

Back