• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu vcore temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rackhound

I have an FX 6300 3.5ghz cpu running on a 970a-ds3p motherboard. cx 750m psu, 16 gigs of ddr3 2133 ram 2 sticks are adata xpg v3 and 2 are corsair vengence and an MSI gaming 980ti 6gb gpu. I have been reading up on how to overclock and what voltages to increase to what levels are acceptable, temps, ect. while looking at HWmonitor I noticed that my vcore is at 2.2 volts and was pretty sure I read here that it shouldnt be above 1.6? cant remember the exact voltage that was stated but mine is way above it and I haven't touched it yet. Am I confusing this with another voltage and if not is it ok to be at that level. I am attaching a snip of the monitor so you can see it. I am currently at 4.4 ghz and am curious how high I can go with it. cpu is water cooled and I also have 2 more fans in push pull. I have had it at 5.53gghz and the ram is at 1600. I havnt been able to get the ram higher stable. it wont boot at 1866 at all. when I had only 8 gigs I was able to get it to around 2000 using multiplier and bclk. cpu nb is set to 2200mhz Ht link is at 2600 and I have turned off power saving and turbo modes in bios. Ive had fun with it so far but when I noticed that voltage being so I high thought i should post here and get some advice. Thanks in advance, any help you can give will be appreciated.

Attachments

• hwmonitor.PNG
    hwmonitor.PNG
    78.7 KB · Views: 264
Show motherboard tab. Lets see what Bios you are using. It may need to be updated.

let's go into bios and reset it to default and try it again please.
if it reoccurs, reinstall cpu-z and hardware monitor while at default in bios.
if you were at 2.2 it would have been toast by now.

Yea hmm. Is using latest bios. Caddi Daddi has a good lead. 2,20v would be LN2 voltage!

Things that make you go Hmmm..

I thought it was odd too. I have already reset everything and the voltage didn't change. I will delete and restore cpuid and see if it changes.

The FX CPUs will usually be stable with the RAM at 1866 but there will always be exceptions and lower memory frequencies may result in higher core overclocks. If you try to run the RAM at 1866 you may need to manually adjust the timings. Your motherboard may be the limiting factor as it does not have a stout VRM component.

I have adjusted the timings and was able to run two 4gb sticks around 2000 mhz but when i added 2 more 4gb sticks it wont run at that frequency. i can get it up to 1616mhz.

Yeah, it is less strain on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) to run two sticks than four. 2x4 gb would be less strain than 4x2 gb and might allow you to get to 1866. But it's now big deal. Probably littler or no impact on real world performance to go with 1600 rather than 1866. It would make a difference if you were using one of the AMD APU chips because the graphics really benefit from high memory speed. But you are running the FX. You might also be able to get to 1866 if you give the IMC a little voltage boost.

Hope this isn't a silly question but how do i increase the voltage to the IMC? Through all of this Ive realized that my CPU is a bottleneck for my graphics card and will eventually upgrade my motherboard and CPU to something that supports an Intel CPU probably an i5 series and ddr4 ram. Id rather go AMD but none of there CPU's can work with the 980ti without creating a bottleneck according to the software that GD has that lets you check this. the closest thing out there that my current motherboard can handle is the fx 8370 and it still bottlenecks my card. Don't get me wrong it still runs well on my current configuration even above 1080p, but anywhere near 4k res. it drops below 30 fps in games like tomb raider, battlefield 4, and COD Black Ops III.

CPU/NB is IMC voltage. Also while overclocking the memory, you can increase memory voltage as well. Should be safe up to 1.65v. CPU/NB shouldn't need more than 1.30v

You could try to overclock the cpu more to help with bottle necking. Try getting 4.6ghz from it, the temps look good. Also may require a touch more cpu voltage.

I was also curious about CPU v-core reading in bios. should be accurate?

Back