• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need cooling advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FaLzY X

Hi. I'm new to the site, and while I'm not exactly new to building PCs, I still have a lot to learn, and many questions....

Here's what I have. .
I7 4790k cpu
Asus Maximus vii formula.
Asus strix 970 factory OC..
Nzxt noctis 450 case.

I need advice on cooling.

Currently using a stock cpu cooler.
I want to know what kind of cooling and/vs performance I would get with different cooling options @ different speeds....I know it depends on what I want. But I'm looking to see my options basically.I want longevity over performance. But I want to get what I can out of my hardware as well. I currently play a lot of FPS on xbox, and I like the direction xbox is headed with windows. So gaming is a good possibility, including the Oculus

I really want an aio cpu cooler. Corsair h1100 (whatever it is) seems to be the popular choice, and it seems practical for my needs.. but with my motherboard, I would want to cool the MOFSET also (seeing how it's already set up)

Suggestions? Links( I'm sure theres tons of articles)
Where can I see performance tests stats comparisons, etc???
Like cooler vs speed vs temperature, vs [other unknown variables]

My heads going to explode if I research anymore

You said you prefer longevity over performance, what about noise vs performance?

You said you prefer longevity over performance, what about noise vs performance?
Noise isn't a huge concern.
The Corsair h115i is $110 on amazon right now.I think I'm going to go with that.. and possibly expand later. ( yes I realize it's a closed loop)

If you're wanting to expand to add a GPU later then get an EK Predator 360 or a Swiftech H320 X2.

I'll look into those.
What about a deepcool captain 240 or 360??
And what all would I need to buy extra to expand it to the motherboard MOFSET (Already Setup for water cooling. (Asus Maximus vii formula))?? Just 4 compression fittings and hose?

I'll look into those.
What about a deepcool captain 240 or 360??
And what all would I need to buy extra to expand it to the motherboard MOFSET (Already Setup for water cooling. (Asus Maximus vii formula))?? Just 4 compression fittings and hose?

The Deepcool isn't even in the same league as the EK or Swiftech.

You would only need to buy tubing and fittings for the two ports on the board, everything else will have fittings already.

Ok. Thanks.. also, I just wondering. Why don't people use copper pipes? The way they distribute heat, with a well ventilated system it seems to me like you could tremendously reduce temperatures?
Also they are very cheap and you can find them at any home depot

Unless you're going for world record overclocking speeds, you don't need to watercool the mosfets. It's a waste of money unless you're going for the bling factor. For 4.5-4.8Ghz normal case airflow is plenty.

Ok. Thanks.. also, I just wondering. Why don't people use copper pipes? The way they distribute heat, with a well ventilated system it seems to me like you could tremendously reduce temperatures?
Also they are very cheap and you can find them at any home depot

It won't "tremendously" reduce temperatures. The surface area is incredibly low when compared to the radiators we use.

I really like the swiftech. But for that price I'd rather just get a DIY kit. Rather and aio

The Swiftech is expandable. It's basically a DIY kit, but cheaper because you're buying it as an assembled set.

Back