• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a little help please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CTP7093

I7 4790k no oc
Asrock z97 extreme 6 motherboard
Gskill ripjaw 16gig DDR3 1866mhz
GTX 970 FTW
EVGA 750watt 80plus gold PSU
Samsung 850 Evo 2tb SSD

Having a problem while running games...Screen will go black for a couple of seconds but you can still hear that the game is running when this happens. Then after that couple of pictures back up and your still in the game. Then little while later it does it again...then it just repeats itself sometimes it will take longer than others before I get a black screen but I'm just curious as to why this happening any insight would be really thankful.

Sounds like a driver issue, have you tried up dating the driver and doing a clean install?

Mandrake yes I have tried different versions of drivers and clean install of said drivers even in safemode...also I forgot to mention its not in every game just some...

No I have not overclocked the card...

- - - Updated - - -

Also I have tried looking when a black screen appears in game at windows 10 event viewer and it don't seem to be making windows think its a problem...sorry don't know if that mattered or not

Double check which of the 2 BIOS you're running and what the fan profile is. It could be getting warmer than it would like after being stressed for a bit

From factory the fans don't even spin until it hits about 60, so depending on the air flow in your case this could be the heat issue

Ok Evil sorry never really have messed with the bios on the vide cards before how would I go about doing that if you don't mind and also I run OSD while playing games and I have never seen it get over 70 but I have a pretty aggressive fan profile on it.

My FTW+ had a physical switch, I'm pretty sure your non + as well. Make sure you're on the BIOS you "want" to be on, cross reference the manual. Sounds like this isn't the issue as you said you haven't messed with it.

So you're at 70% on the fans all the time? What's you fan/air flow setup like and what case?

The Windows drivers and Geforce Drivers are all up to date?

I'm sorry meant I have never seen the card get hotter than 70C. Also I have a Cooler Master HAF case and my processor is water cooled with a H100i closed loop and yes all my drivers are up to date.
Also here my temps for my other components and this is using HWMonitor

Processor while running Prime 95 settled at around 55C
HWmonitor is show my mainboard around 28C
and my SSD is setting on 28C

Ok so it's not a temp issue and drivers are up to date then I'm stumped. I would suggest leaving HW monitor open and whichever program you use to OC your GPU so after the next time it happens you can see what was going on real time with temps, any throttling? etc........

Ok Evil will do man thanks for trying to help. One quick question could be a bad VGA?

- - - Updated - - -

and I really don't think theres any throttling and at this time by the way I see it my videcard is my so called bottleneck because my cpu runs around 45-50% while my Graphics card is hovering around 98-99% while gaming and I'm talking about usage during gaming.

Always a possibility. EVGA has a great warranty which is why I like their products especially if buying second hand. My next move on your end would be to contact support and let them know about your issues. If it is a bad VGA they will get you taken care of. Sorry I could not be of better help.

No worries man and really you just taking a little time out of your day to try and help is a lot. Like I said thanks again man.

The usage you see is about right. You will see the CPU use higher in more intense CPU games which right now there are some but more often than not the GPU is what's holding you back. With a 4790K you should be able to push that 970 nicely. OC them both it makes a nice difference when everything is fined tuned. You're leaving power on the table by not using it. My 970 FTW+ was the most fun GPU I have owned to date, and the one I have liked the least was an HOF 980 Ti lol, so go figure, the most expensive isn't always the most fun. This new to me 980 is giving the 970 FTW+ a run for it's money thought.

Back