• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to jump on a 380/380X... but which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you don't have video from the onboard with the gpu installed it's possible the bios disabled the onboard when a dedicated card is installed. Likely a setting in the bios to enable it.

Does the system power on? Do. You hear the sound of windows starting up? Or just nothing after you hit the power button?

Yeah I mean the CPU fan starts up, and the gpu fans are starting and stopping repeatedly, looking for drivers to get the intelligent fan control going I assume, so I'm praying nothing is actually damaged?

There's a BIOS switch on the card; I'm safe giving that a flip to see if that's the issue, right?

Twas the dratted BIOS switch :)

All set-up now; well, its my first AMD card so setting up colour bits etc. is all in different names but I'll have a poke around. The driver software stated that the panel has a maximum reported 75hz refresh rate; does this mean this panel will likely overclock? It's the cheapest of the cheap Acers, doesn't even have a headphone jack (which is very annoying for console gaming...). I've heard the jump from 60 to 75 is as nice as the jump from 30 to 60...

OK, thanks :)

Pretty sure something's up with my colour; got a major case of the squints, colours don't look natural and a lot of whites are super bleached out, especially apparent on icons. Getting gradients in things like fog in video too, so I'm thinking I'm running at a lower colour bitrate, but I can't find where to change it in Crimson. And Windows 10 is just super unhelpful; this was so easy in previous windows versions. I create content too, so its important to me that colours look as correct as possible here...

Yeah but OS hasn't changed, or even been re-installed. GPU just got popped in. With nVidias control panel it was quite easy to max out res/colour, but I can't seem to find colour stuff in amd's tools. When I was running the iGPU the last two months everything looked fine by default.

I'm not familiar with the new AMD software to be of any more help, sorry.

I agree though, definitely sounds like a driver issue. Just wanted to get any idea of the OS causing the issue ruled out.

That is one thing I don't like about AMD is the software. If you think you have a bad driver install AMD has software remover utility. How do you like your AMD card now that you made the switch?

No worries ATM, you've been a lot of help over this entire build.

Wingman, I haven't had a dGPU setup for almost twelve months; that should tell yeh how much I like it :D Had the Unreal Tourney alpha crash the drivers on me but aside from that no funny business aside from the color bitrate which will get sorted. Locked 60 on ultra on everything I've thrown at it; not altogether surprising as it is a mid end 1440p card IMO (with the 970 being a high end 1440p card) and I'm on 1080p.

Glad thing are working out great, 12 months is a long time to play on bad Graphics, what were you getting for FPS with IGPU? I just wonder how come AMD can't beat the Nvidia steam roller? One thing I don't like is free sync is open source and G sync is not, I like that technology and if they would come together I think that technology could be made much cheaper, so far AMD is not doing well being the nice guy.

Last edited:
I was getting probably 24fps on Alien:Isolation on Ultra, so the iGPU is a little beast in of itself :)

Yeah, I switched teams because I don't like how nVidia are carrying themselves these days, with Gameworks, nerfing amd performance with sneaky tesselating, and general anti-competition anti-consumer shenanigans. They seem to only care about selling chips to car manufacturers these days as well. I've waited too long for a Shield Portable 2. I just want a handheld that can run Dolphin already :) the 3.5vram fiasco also hurt them; they badly needed to come out with a 960ti 4gb to combat the 960's small bus and the 970's vram issue but they never did. I know its just a business tactic as well, but I really like where amd is going with open sourcing everything. Plus Direct X12 and Vulcan benches made it an easy choice ;) Also Freesync being free to implement. I think we're about to see the golden age of amd. If they can somehow pull off decent cpu's soon, they might be able to crawl out of the funk intel put them in when they bribed OEM's to only use intel all those years ago.

The 380/X aren't supposed to go toe to toe with nVidia's current line up, they kinda sit in the middle. 380X isn't really supposed to tie with 970, that's the 390's place, and the 390 beats out the 970 for the same money. IMO, it goes like this; 370/960/380/970/390.

That happened 10+ years ago. Why hasn't AMD caught up?

Bottom line, if their chips were better, they would be used more. Based on benchmarks, I haven't considered buying an AMD CPU since Intel's 2nd(!) i series launched. I will always consider every option when I do make a purchase, and it's a shame there's no one to push Intel, but I'm not going to give my money to the little guy just because they're the little guy.

EDIT: And why do you have a 6600K? :screwy:

That happened 10+ years ago. Why hasn't AMD caught up?

Well they wouldn't have had to, would they? In fact they were quickly jumping into the lead there. Profits are required for R&D.

Bottom line, if their chips were better, they would be used more.
EDIT: And why do you have a 6600K? :screwy:

Maybe if they hadn't had something so illegal done to them that the perpetrator had to pay 1.5 billion in fines, their chips would be better and they'd be used more. In fact I would definitely bet on that. In fact I would definitely bet on AMD being the big dog had Intel not broken the law.

I would love to one day try out an AMD CPU one day, I'm a conscious consumer and vote with my wallet as often as I can but I'm not some kind of technology martyr :) My problems with Intel definitely don't end there, but unless Zen is literally the second technological coming of Christ; AMD CPU's haven't got much application in desktops; what was done to them severely stunted their growth and as a result their chips just don't compete. I do like their APU's and have built with them. Really if Zen doesn't work out, they need to just focus on the laptop/apu space.

Well they wouldn't have had to, would they? In fact they were quickly jumping into the lead there. Profits are required for R&D.

Or they could have just done something very well, with a small market share. I guess that's never worked out for anyone, though? cough Apple cough

Maybe if they hadn't had something so illegal done to them that the perpetrator had to pay 1.5 billion in fines, their chips would be better and they'd be used more. In fact I would definitely bet on that. In fact I would definitely bet on AMD being the big dog had Intel not broken the law.

Not really sure how you can be so certain, but I'll certainly admit it's a possibility.

Well, because they were on their way; Intel were losing market share quite fast; they didn't bribe just for the fun of it.

I wouldn't call Apple's market share small, ever in their history; they've had hard times but 'small market share' is somewhat hyperbolic. Maybe compared to Windows because of business hardware etc. but there's a difference between 'smaller technically but still gigantic in their own right and stinking rich' and 'beaten into submission with illegal acts'.

Apple's another one I avoid because of the treatment of their Chinese production line workers (and general contempt for their own users). Imagine my dismay when I opened my first motherboard a few years ago, only to see the word 'FOXCONN' on it lol.

Anyway, cards ticking over decently now, thanks guys. If anyone is looking for info on the card, please fire away.
By the way, all the software for the card doesn't refer to it specifically as an X variant, it just says 380. That's normal right?

Back