• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to jump on a 380/380X... but which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
gh.gif

Started Wolfenstein:New Order, and it's running like an absolute dog (even if I drop to low it'll start out at 50+ then apparently lock itself at 30 with tons of microstutter so I ran some benches to see what's up. They seem fine, apparently idTech is just THAT bad. Gonna be waiting on DOOM to come out before I put money down for sure. Should've got Wolfenstein on PS4, my mate had a very positive experience with it. Maybe there are hacks and fixes out there. Decided to post benches anyway :) My cpu being an i5 hurts the 3d mark score I think.

Screenshot%202016-02-26%2015.24.57.png
Screenshot%202016-02-26%2015.26.55.png
Screenshot%202016-02-26%2015.56.08.png

I would open up afterburner or gpu-z and see if the card is throttling while you are playing wolfenstein. The game (as far as I understand) wasn't supposed to be super hard on cards. What settings are you playing at (including AA, AF, etc)? Also, which drivers are you using?

Any reason you haven't set your RAM to run at it's rated speed of 3000mhz?

Shadow of Mordor is maxed out and its hitting 60fps without a sweat, and that's notoriously texture heavy. 6600K is at 35c after about two hours of playing it, idles at 24c usually so I consider it an excellent cooler, and the 380X (on the new 16.12 drivers) is at 50c, again after at least two hours, very addictive game :) And thats an nVidia title! I think idtech5 and megatextures was just a giant mess. I'll go into the BIOS and get my RAM running up to spec, see if that helps. At the moment if I turn on an object and turn back to it, the texture loads back in. That's how bad it is. And all the textures have that seriously ugly megatextures look. Janus, it doesn't seem to matter what settings I'm using. From low to ultra there's terrible microstutters and textures and fps.

I'm not terribly worried about it, more of a curiosity guys :) Just like the rather rainbow-esque tiled flashes on lightning in Mordor, though I'm pretty sure that's AMD drivers being AMD drivers...

Last edited:
Mordor has crashed on twice on me now because of temps, giving me 'video driver was removed or reset'. Fans were going full clip but according to sapphire's software wasn't going over 60c... and there is quite a 'warm' smell coming from the gpu, but AMD cards running hot was always something I was going to have to live with. It's definitely not a cool card by any means. Even a bit of Rocket League gets it up to 57c.

Thats a driver crash, consider install the 15.11 drivers instead

60c isnt that hot, my 390 gets up to 80-85c playing dying light

Perhaps for an amd card its not hot, but I'm still getting used to these temps ;P Yeah mordor started hitting 70. Literally a warm, smelly card, I think I could actually use it for heat if I turn my case towards me :p

Are the 16.2 drivers bad or something? I updated them cause I was getting weird AO artifacting in XCOM 2. Hope there's a patch coming for that game soon...

The AMD cards are generally set to run in the 85-90C range with fan profiles last I checked (at least my 290xs were). So running at 60-70C is frankly nothing in terms of what they can handle.

Been pulling my hair out with this card since I got it. It's been a complete disaster. I don't know of there's something wrong with the card or what. Would've already ran back to nVidia if it wasn't for the laughable prices of 1070's right now. I've been getting bizarre frame drops for no reason since day 1. 60fps in Doom until a single enemy comes on screen, then it plummets down to 30. That bizzare. But in other instances, games like Fallout 4 are largely fine with the occasional frame drops indoors. But lots of other games crash. It's really hard to diagnose what the issue is. I have removed the card and cleaned the system of any AMD drivers in preparation to RMA the card, but want to give it one more shot. Can I install drivers before inserting the card? Because prior to this, this was the view from the HDMI GPU because I think I uninstalled drivers wrong
2016-07-01%2007.36.09.jpg

but things are fine now, running off the mobo's HDMI, and drivers correctly removed. If I re-insert the card, even though I've wiped the drivers, will I be getting the same result? Is the card just fooked at this point? I can't access the motherboard's video while the card is inserted for some reason, I get a black screen...

Nope, you need to have the card plugged in, unless the integrated Graphic is the same kind as the discrete GPU, which is not the case for you (AMD/Intel).

I'd RMA the card.

Back