• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock help (virgin OC'r)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikkiy9

Hey everyone, i'm looking at overclocking my computer, spec as follows:-

MSI-7641 MOBO
amd fx 8320 chip
8G DDR3 Ram
AMD Radeon R7 260x double dissipation edition graphics card

the info i have for the MOBO says that it is oc'able and i would like to know if their is a good guide on how to do this....

Thanks in advance

Nick

Last edited:
That motherboard is a very inadequate basis for overclocking the FX 6 or 8 core CPUs. The VRM (voltage regulation module) just will not hold up. It will likely do okay at stock frequencies and voltages but overclocking will quickly ramp up the power draw and overwhelm the VRM.

That motherboard is a very inadequate basis for overclocking the FX 6 or 8 core CPUs. The VRM (voltage regulation module) just will not hold up. It will likely do okay at stock frequencies and voltages but overclocking will quickly ramp up the power draw and overwhelm the VRM.
Agreed!

For virgin OC'r would want adequate cooling apparatus. We assume you are using a stock cooler. Which meh, worst that happens, the OC fails and you clear CMOS and run the system stock.

So precautionary measures, we'll inform new user to the OC world to at least find a spare 80mm fan and cool the VRM section of the motherboard. This section is located to the left of the cpu socket. This also will help keep the processor cool as well.

Since we all start somewhere, A good place is to look at the turbo P-states which would be 3.7ghz and 1.4125v and 4.0ghz 1.4250v. This would be a good starting point as the cooler and board may handle it and possibly may not.

You would first start with the CPU multiplier. I would try the first turbo P-state multiplier of 18.5 manually input via BIOS. You would then scroll down to the CPU V-core and manually input 1.4125v F10 save bios changes and restart. Then you would run CPU-Z to ensure the overclock is good and do a little heat, burn in testing to be sure the cooler is doing a good job. You would like to keep the processor as cool as possible, 60-70c is about max temp you would safely run. You can Burn test with Prime95.

Everyone has to start somewhere even if you don't have a big overclockers motherboard like most people that would post here telling you the board is no good. For long term use, I would not expect to try and run a 4.8ghz overclock, but if you stay within P-state speeds and voltage, you may be ok for a bit.

Just remember you are responsible for bricking your own hardware, and if you kill THAT motherboard, you'll have a good excuse to buy a better CPU cooler and motherboard to really get some good overclocking done. Practice with what you have and have fun.

Good Luck and So long for now,
Your's truly,
ShrimpBrime.

Back