• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I expecting too much from my Lenovo Y50?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

[SOLVED] Am I expecting too much from my Lenovo Y50?

I know that laptops are not good for crunching but I'm not happy with the results I get when I run Rosetta on mine. If I do not limit to about 50% CPU utilization, it shuts down. There is no warning. There is no throttling. It just goes dark Right Now. At times it seems like I can hear a pop when it does so.

I don't think it is a temperature issue. Right now at 50% it's at 70° C. Based on the suddenness of the shutdown I believe it is a PSU issue.

Crap. 50% is too high. It just did it again. :mad:

I'm not a gamer. I just wanted a laptop that was fast. I have had this shut down even when not crunching.

Time to send it in for service? What say you?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Definitely not a good sign. Do you know what CPU is in that unit?

I have taken laptops apart before to attempt to resolve similar issues. Clean the fan, cooling fins and replace the thermal paste. Without taking the unit apart, you could very thoroughly clean the vents with canned air and a vacuum.

Ha. About two hours after this post I was given a laptop to check and clear the fan of an obstruction. I will add , unless this machine is under warranty, you can find Youtube videos that will show you how to take apart your laptop. Usually you only need a #1 crosstip (Phillips) and maybe a #2. Pull the battery and take your time.

I believe it's an I7-4710HQ. I dug into my emails and see that I've had it just over a year so cleaning it up seems like a good suggestion. Amazing the amount of dust those things can ingest! I don't think heat is the issue but it may not be a hot processor that is causing the problem. And I should rule that out in any case before moving on to other solutions. Thanks for the common sense suggestions!

I don't think that warranty is an issue since I've had it open to upgrade RAM, drive and LCD panel.

thanks,
hank

Did you check the power saving options for plugged in to make sure it is set to never sleep?

Let the battery drain.

If the power supply can run the laptop and charge the battery, it's probably not the power supply .

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Did you check the power saving options for plugged in to make sure it is set to never sleep?
It's set to never sleep. And it's not sleeping. It will shut down even when I'm using it.
This does not have the vents on the edge, but perhaps there is a cooling solution that would work. After I clean it up, if I still have difficulty I can try extra air movement.

Maybe a change of brand is in order ?
This is probably the last Lenovo I'll buy. That's sad since I've used them almost exclusively (Thinkpads, that is) since my first laptop, a 750Cs which I bought in the early nineties. I strayed twice, getting a VAIO once and HP another time. The HP was one of the few that I had to retire because it became unstable. Right now if I were going to go after something, the one I lust for is the Dell XPS.

Seems more like the PSU (brick on the cord) is going to me.

Let the battery drain.

If the power supply can run the laptop and charge the battery, it's probably not the power supply .
I actually have the charger cycling between 30-70% of charge using an Orvibo S20. I read that this should prolong battery life compared to just keeping it plugged in all of the time. I'm pretty sure the brick is functional.

Thanks!

I have bad experience with newer Lenovo laptops. In one after long work ( programmers were working on SQL databases ) some plastic parts cracked because of overheating. Other one with i5 CPU was overheating and throttling to 800MHz. Recently we got 3 new HP at work and none of them is passing 70*C under load. There are no issues with throttling on new Dell too.

CPU should be below 90*C under full load on all cores. If it's not then there is some serious design flaw as CPU will constantly throttle under load.
I have new ASUS laptop which runs at no more than ~70-75*C under full load on 4 cores. I can say all is perfect but it went 2nd time to RMA for issues with display ( actually RMA to last RMA ).

It looks like the suggestions to check cooling were on the mark. I cracked (*) the back and pulled the cooling fans out. There was surprisingly little dust in the cooling fins. I removed the heat pipe CPU cooler and found the processor and GPU goobered up with what looked and felt like plumbers putty. I cleaned that up and applied some Tuniq TX-4 which I had on hand and put it back together. Temps looked about 15°C cooler with two threads of Rosetta running. I ran three overnight with no problems and I've had a fourth running for about half an hour now. Temps are:

Code:
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +81.0°C  (crit = +127.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +81.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +80.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +81.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:         +75.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:         +73.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

I'm cautiously optimistic that this was the problem.

(*) I figuratively cracked the housing. When I turned the laptop over to begin work I found the housing literally cracked by the two screws nearest the hinge. :mad:

Sounds like the new Lenovo laptops may be crap, just like 2009 HP AMD laptops...

And an Intel laptop CPU shouldn't get hot like the Athlon IIs on HPs did.

In all fairness, I should not expect an Ideapad to match the build quality of a Thinkpad, but I think it should be better than this.

And BTW 4 Rosetta threads will still take it down. :(

Google shows many people complaining with the same heat problems, design and BIOS fault ? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=L...Vv7nGciUUcDQhsAJ#q=lenovo+y50+common+problems
Thanks for the tip! The results aren't really helpful as they seem to be about folks surprised that a laptop with an I7 and GTX gets warm under heavy use. I expect that. But it did give me an opportunity to smack my forehead and ask myself why I didn't search for others with this issue. (I really need a head-smack smoley. ;) )

I searched for 'lenovo y50 shuts off' and fhe first result was https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y50-Automatically-Turns-Off/td-p/1688119 which exactly describes the problem (right down to the 'pop' sound when it shuts down.)

I guess it's time to send it in.

Thanks for the tip! The results aren't really helpful as they seem to be about folks surprised that a laptop with an I7 and GTX gets warm under heavy use. I expect that. But it did give me an opportunity to smack my forehead and ask myself why I didn't search for others with this issue. (I really need a head-smack smoley. ;) )

I searched for 'lenovo y50 shuts off' and fhe first result was https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y50-Automatically-Turns-Off/td-p/1688119 which exactly describes the problem (right down to the 'pop' sound when it shuts down.)

I guess it's time to send it in.

I actually had this problem myself a few months after I purchased my Y50-70 Touch (only went Touch because it was the only model they had and they gave me the same price as the non-touch so went ahead). I could not for the life of me figure out what was going on, but it was indeed in relation to the NV Optimus crap. I believe the fix for me was changing an option in relation to Optimus in the bios, and then using DDU and re-installing drivers that actually worked. The biggest issue I've faced with the Y50 has been drivers are hit or miss, and if the driver doesn't want to work 100% perfect, then the entire laptop goes to **** when you try to do anything graphically intensive on it (in my case, playing games, etc.). In such case with having to find the perfect drivers that work flawlessly, if they don't I have to deal with constant shut downs, restarts, and general freezing for ANYTHING needing to use "3d graphics".

Sounds like the new Lenovo laptops may be crap, just like 2009 HP AMD laptops...

And an Intel laptop CPU shouldn't get hot like the Athlon IIs on HPs did.

The new Lenovo would be Y700, Y50 is their unchanged model from 2012 I believe it was. And I'd sooner take any Lenovo over HP or Dell with the exception of Dell XPS. Then you have ASUS which are only decent with their highest end laptops that are very well known for overheating, so with the exception of going for top quality like Sager Clevo or MSI's higher tier, each mfgr has it's own issues and Lenovo is certainly no exclusion. The amount of bloat Lenovo had on the Y50 was astounding to say the least, and the WD Black SSHD drive that came with mine was utter garbage that couldn't even play 720p movies without stuttering (an SSD solved that nuisance), and then of course the biggest problem with the Lenovo Y50 is the plastic around the hinges that are known to break relatively easy which is pretty absurd given the price range these sell for (at $800 I shouldn't have to worry about plastic breaking around hinges).

All of this said, if I was doing it over for laptop purchase for $800, I'd go with the Lenovo again, BUT, I would get the non-touch model so I can change the screen out to an IPS panel. The amount of hassle and time needed to change the LCD + digitizer is absurd and I do regret getting the touch screen, but I needed the laptop then as I needed it for travel + classes. Being able to hook up my XBone controller to it, open up Rocket League, and play for a couple hours when travelling works fine :)

Oh, and to summarize the issues with the Y50 that I know about:
- Plastic hinges can break if not being careful (really though, I baby mine so I haven't run into that issue)
- Having to find the right drivers that actually work with the Y50
- NVOptimus
- Stock bloat
- If you have the TN panel it is pretty terrible
- SSHD is pure garbage

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the NV settings and driver. I'll have a go at that (though I'm not sure it is the problem since mine seems to be more related to CPU load.) An additional wrinkle for me is that I usually (99.9%) run Linux.

And FWIW I replaced the WD SSHD with an SSD, installed W8/10 from scratch and replaced the TN panel with an IPS panel. The TN panel was so bad I some pages were hard to see. And the plastic is cracked around the hinges.

Back