• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 Unlocked BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I am asking that anyone with the BIOS versions for any boards that allow the "unlocking" of the FSB for locked hips post it here and I'll try to organize them. If we don't get them now we never will.

MSI Non K bios from Woomack
DO NOT USE THESE WITH A "K" CPU

Issues found so far

No IGPU
No dynamic change of CPU frequency
No C-states
No Turbo Mode
CPU temperature reading is incorrect
AVX instructions have very low performance
Windows XP ACPI not supported

Asus

View attachment MAXIMUS-VIII-EXTREME-ASUS-0001.zip
View attachment MAXIMUS-VIII-GENE-ASUS-0001.zip
View attachment MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO-ASUS-0001.zip
View attachment MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT-ASUS-0001.zip
View attachment Z170-A-ASUS-0050.zip
View attachment MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO-ALPHA-ASUS-0002.zip
View attachment MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER-ASUS-0001.zip
View attachment Z170-PRO-GAMING-ASUS-1301.zip

Last edited:
This is actually not my file but I found it somewhere linked and I checked that MSI Z170I BIOS is good on 6600K but I don't have any locked CPU so can't check if it works ;)

Here is list with downloads for ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte and MSI.

In general probably every BIOS which is unlocking bclk adjustment on non-K CPUs is causing lower performance in applications that use AES and maybe some other instructions but also IGP isn't working.

Thanks Rod I'll have to look into that one. Do you have a link?

Thanks Rod I'll update the first post when I have the time.

Can you Update to the latest 2003 Bios for the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming please? I use a i7 6700K. Is this ok?

If you have K series CPU then just update BIOS to the latest version from ASUS website.

I have continuously rolled back my BIOS to an earlier version that has BLCK unlocked. I'm about to install 1.40 and 1.30 was the first release :( I jumped back to 1.92 as that was what we had for DL :)
Every time I go over 103 BLCK the computer freezes. I have set the voltage from 1.15 to 1.525. I have set the memory to run @ 3866 (This is the highest/fastest that it will run) but down clocked it to 3733 and 3600. This was so that when I OCed the BLCK I would move the mem clock back up to 3866 anyways. I'm unsure of what I'm doing wrong that is messing the system up?? Any Ideas :)

Help.jpg

Last edited:
Try setting your HDD to IDE ?
Been a long time since I have used these BIOS

Does this message popup before you enter the BIOS? If so press the X so it can enable the correct microcode. You can also set the microcode from within the BIOS by using Code 2D or 74 in CPU settings page.

capture4758.jpg

Last edited:
Okay.. I'm a little late..I had some problems

Here is my i3-6320 Geekbench3 ran with a AIO on the AsRock OCF. < Note > The AsRock z170m E4 and AsRock E7+ allowed OCing the BCLK from 100+, the OCF you set BLCK and hope it boots. A + is that the OCF will boot at a higher BLCK than the others and then allow a 3.00 increase in the BLCK to fine tune the speed :)

M_M/ GB 3/Score 11535/ Speed 4.914/ AIO

P.S. Thanks again M_R for the assistance :thup:

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/791416-HWBOT-TEAM-CUP-2018?p=8089828#post8089828

bios Z170 Maximus VIII Ranger does not work, flashed the programmer, does not se

bios Z170 Maximus VIII Ranger does not work, flashed the programmer, does not se

I haven't used these in a long time but I would say as long as the link works you should be good to go.

Back