• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI to component out converter cable: do they work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question to (my apologies if I got it wrong).

My mom just inherited an old Mitsubishi HD 1080 series rear projection TV which only has DVI-I (?), coax and component inputs. I know the DVI-I does HD, because the technician tested it to show her HD. The problem w/the DVI-I input on the TV is that it does HD video, but there's no sound. Does the component input also do HD? If I get her a HDMI to component out converter cable will this give her HD output (and stereo audio) to her TV? The alternative is she has to upgrade to a more expensive cable box.

Her cable box (the mini box) only has HDMI and (NTSC) coax output.

I pulled up the manual on "Mitsubishi HD 1080 series rear projection TV"...it showed this:

Mits.jpg

Item 10 is an HDMI input...don't see a DVI, only VGA input.

does this look like the back of the TV?

You can do HDMI to DVI...it is a passive adapter, but won't do sound.

Component video works fine for HD, but you will need a converter to convert the digital signals to the analog component video. These will not be passive (i.e. it will not be a cable, it will be a box that requires a power connection.)

I did a quick search on Amazon and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Revesun-high-...qid=1455896146&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+dvi+sound

HDMI input, DMI and Coax sound output (and 3.5 mm audio sound output).

If you do the Coax route for sound, make sure you get one for sound. You don't have to buy a super expensive one as long as the cable run is short.

There is no HDMI on the back of her Mitsubishi TV. It looks like it only has component, DVI-I (?) and coax (for SD?). She's using the coax now.

I'm going to see if an HD DVD player I have can somehow take HDMI input and convert it to component output.

I still have an SD (Standard Definition?) NTSC TV for the few shows I actually watch on television -- everything else I get off of Hulu.

Doesn't the cable box have RCA audio outs? Connect that to the audio in on the set to get your audio.

Component only caries color (RGB) as well (unless that adapter would split out the audio as well). You need HDMI to carry the sound on a single cable.

EDIT: Oy... disregard... I read the rest of your first post, LOL!

I have the cheapest of the cheap HD boxes (no dvr, nada) and it has audio out..............if she wants HD signals, she will need a basic HD box (which should have the audio outs you need).

Last edited:
ED, my mom's basic HD box only has HDMI out and coax out (for SD/NTSC).

The full HD cable box (with all the output options she needs) would cost her an additional ~9$/month. I'm going to try JrClocker's HDMI to component out converter box idea -- which also has stereo audio outputs as well. She has an old Bose surround-sound setup too, but I'm not going to even try to get that working.

Back