• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Staticy / whiny noise coming from somewhere on the MOBO.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

Checked all the fans, nothing hitting them. Removed one stick of ram, tried each stick of ram in each slot by its self, the problem persisted. I'm out of trouble shooting ideas. It doesn't seem to start until I put my windows password in, and it isn't constant. It can stop sometimes and sometimes it can change. It kind of reminds me when you put a cellphone near a speaker only much more higher pitch. :bang head All 100% new components.

No not like that, that's a constant whine. My noise is kinda like Morse code has more of a static like noise than a squeal.

You know what, almost sounds more like a bug caught under a lampshade and suiciding its self into the bulb.

Does your mobo have a micro piazza speaker built in for beep codes?

maybe record it and post it up?

I would like to hear the sound?

All my attempts to record the sound have failed. It just doesn't get picked up. Any ideas on how I can record it?

Does your mobo have a micro piazza speaker built in for beep codes?

Not as far as i know, it did some with a speaker but I never connected it.

One thing I did notice is that when my security software isn't recording the sound less frequent, but when it is recording it's constant. I have an SSD and no HDD so I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
I had that same exact noise coming from my speakers using the onboard sound on my board. It started out of nowhere and it was driving me 'effing crazy trying to pinpoint how and why it was happening. Sounded like I was being scanned by a UFO above my roof :rofl:

Seriously tho, I had to get a PCIe sound card and problem solved. Still trying to figure out why it started and how :confused:

Yeah but this pc has no sound output, coming right now the mobo as far as I can tell.

I have not. I can't decide weather the noise is annoying enough to start randomly changing out parts. If i could narrow it down a little it wouldn't be so bad. Graphics card is going to be pulled out to see if it's that. If not I don't really have too many replacement parts.

Another option might be the water cooling pump. Even though they are "all new" components, sometimes you get bad stuff right out of he box. Do you have the OEM cooler that was boxed with the CPU? I would swap that component out temporarily at least to check that possibility. The sound you hear could be failing pump bearings. And it's right down close on the motherboard so geographically that would fit the scenario. If you are overclocked then set the CPU speed and voltage back to stock first, however. The one thing that doesn't fit this is the fact that the noise doesn't start until Windows loads. That would indicate to me it is a component that requires a Windows driver or is somehow controlled by a Windows based program.

One easy thing you might try is to burn a Linux Live distro onto a DVD and boot from it. That would by pass the Windows drivers.

Another option might be the water cooling pump. Even though they are "all new" components, sometimes you get bad stuff right out of he box. Do you have the OEM cooler that was boxed with the CPU? I would swap that component out temporarily at least to check that possibility. The sound you hear could be failing pump bearings. And it's right down close on the motherboard so geographically that would fit the scenario. If you are overclocked then set the CPU speed and voltage back to stock first, however. The one thing that doesn't fit this is the fact that the noise doesn't start until Windows loads. That would indicate to me it is a component that requires a Windows driver or is somehow controlled by a Windows based program.

One easy thing you might try is to burn a Linux Live distro onto a DVD and boot from it. That would by pass the Windows drivers.

Using the CPU fan than came out of the box with the cpu. No pump.

No overclock.

I don't get how it could be a windows driver issue, surely it's got to be purely hardware related? How can a driver create a noise?

How often does it do this? You say it is intermittent. How intermittent? If you were to RMA the board, what would be the chance that the techs checking it out would experience what you are describing with this board?

When I said intermittent I mean as a description of the noise, as in it isn't constant, more like sped up Morse code. The noise is constantly there. I have no idea if it is the board specifically or a reaction between two parts.

However: More information, when I shut down my security software (which is constantly recording and saving to the SSD) it stops. What would that narrow it down to?

Back