• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC Line filters?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
It has been brought to my attention that I may have dirty AC power feeding my PSU which might be causing my terrible overclocks..
Makes sense since the lights here flicker often. Lightbulb's brightness can vary sometimes bright sometimes just a bit dimmer.
Measuring at the socket gives me 112.8V - 113.6V AC which seems normal.

So would a filtering device possibly help here and any recommendations?
I have an APC 600ES UPS here that I use for my server would something like that filter the lines?

Can you post a link to the exact UPS you have?
If the UPS has AVR and PFC, yes it will clean the power.

Not sure that it will do anything with a brownout, but it should cover you on any frequency issues.

Not sure that it will do anything with a brownout, but it should cover you on any frequency issues.
Okay so something like that would clean up the power coming in then?

Is there such thing as a standalone filter? Like a UPS without the battery? (Surge protector?)

It has to use the battery to correct the voltage, so no.
What you would be looking for is simply a better UPS.

APC, CyberPower, and Dell are what I would stick to.
Just make sure it has AVR and PFC.

1250VA
Yeah I didn't see and PFC, but I figured the EVGA PSU I have would cover that?

I use the top one he suggested...it's a great unit.

You should call your power company and tell them of the low voltage. You are probably near the end of their line, and they can up the voltage.

You're in the range for what would be a brownout for me! Low voltages like that will make a PSU work hard!

I use the top one he suggested...it's a great unit.

You should call your power company and tell them of the low voltage. You are probably near the end of their line, and they can up the voltage.
Which is weird since I'm the 2nd on the street....
You're in the range for what would be a brownout for me! Low voltages like that will make a PSU work hard!

Apparently 113v is normal in Canada. At least that's what google is saying

Cool thanks Austin :)
I like the ethernet protection. Do you use that at all?

I use the coax, but not the Ethernet.

By my logic, my Ethernet should be protected. The power and coax are protected, which are the only outside inputs to any network devices.

I have this one. Has worked great and been tested by actual power outages three times so far. CyberPower says 1500VA on that one is only 900W, though, so I'm eventually upgrading to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...I3F6FBQVF7FF9N&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl to have 1500 W.

I have a Tripp-Lite LC1800 for laptop power supplies and the laser printer that makes the lights dim when it comes on :)

The VA rating and W rating are definitely two very different properties, it sounds like you're trying to compare them though.

Back